Tales of the New Orleans Axeman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stan,

The only reference I have to the NO Axeman (note the 'e'...) is by a bloke called Henry Lester whose article is included in 'Murders And Mysteries', a collection of stuff by John Canning. Lester states more or less categorically that the axeman was well into going for young women - he'd bop their husbands first and then go for broke against the ladies. Seems a bit odd that he apparently broke into properties in which husband and wife were a-bed. Why not reduce the risk of coming up against a Bluto of a husband and go for the ladies when they were alone? Or was he into risk-taking?

Do you think the attacks were by one man and one man only, or were there copy-cats?

Cheers,

Graham.
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

And now to the "From Hell" letter and, yes, that was exactly how it was headed!

In early March of 1919, The Times-Picayune received the letter posted "From Hell" as per the upper right-hand corner. It was signed "The Axeman". In the correspondence, he said that he was coming to town for a killing spree on the 19th of this month but would spare any home that was playing jazz music - his favorite. Not surprisingly, the air that night was filled with soloists, bands, phonographs and player pianos blaring out the killer's requests. No one was murdered that night so it must have worked.
      Last edited by sdreid; 06-06-2009, 12:47 AM.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Graham,

Can't be sure but I tend to think that the 5 "core murders" were likely by the same man. The last of those 5 was a 2-year-old girl so that author's version sounds a little creative to me. Maybe he had some sources that I don't.

Stan Reid

Comment

Highly unusual, if not unique, for a serial killer, this guy appears to have wounded more people than he actually murdered. I would be tempted to call him a serial wounder except this doesn't seem to have been his intent.

The method reminds me of the Ratcliffe Highway murders.
          Last edited by sdreid; 06-07-2009, 01:25 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Just like Jack the Ripper
            Just like Mojo Hand
            Just like Billy Sunday
            In a shotgun ragtime band

- Robert Hunter

Comment

Thanks Jack. I've seen that cover before but I have never heard the tune - wonder if it was ever recorded.

About 20 years ago, there was also a novel that used the case as a backdrop entitled The Axeman's Jazz. I saw it at the store but didn't ever read it.

Stan Reid

Comment

I wonder if anyone compared the handwriting in the letter with the chalk message or if the latter went unphotographed as with the GSG.

Stan Reid

Comment

As with the GSG, there is some controversy as to the exact wording of the chalk message so it apparently wasn't photographed.

In an account by Katherine Ramsland, she says that one source described the chalk message as in a school boy hand also like the GSG.

Stan Reid

Comment

I am the publisher of On the Spot Journal, which deals with early 20th Century crime and crime control. To date it's been mainly gangster era stuff from the U.S. but pretty much any any criminological material from roughly the 1900-1940 period is welcome.

Richard Warner's article which covers the Axeman murders appeared in our all-Mafia issue, published in Summer 2008, and is titled "The First Mafia Boss of Los Angeles? The Mystery of Vito Di Giorgio, 1880-1922". I'm not convinced that the Axeman was the tool of a Mafia extortion plot but the article is well documented and I've long been impressed by Warner's research in early Mafia history. Apparently Mumphrey was very real as was his killing in L.A. Whether he was the Axeman or not I couldn't say but wouldn't rule him out either.

Back issues may be ordered from our website at: www.onthespotjournal.com/journal.html.

Comment

Hi Jack Flash,

In the upper left-hand corner of that sheet music, exactly what is a "coon novelty song"? I'm almost afraid to ask.

Stan Reid

Comment

I see "Away -- from us", I think, on the sheet laying on the piano in the illustration. Are those the only lyrics we know?

Stan Reid

Comment

My paternal grandparents had a player piano somewhat like the one in the illustration. The woman's feet would have been on two alternating rocker pedals although you can only see one here. You powered the thing sort of like riding a bicycle.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            The New Orleans Axeman is probably the next big unsolved serial killer case to come along after Jack the Ripper.
                            To clarify, I meant in regard to time and not necessarily in importance or following.

Stan Reid

Comment

A coon novelty song refers to black americans. The word coon was used in those days much like the word ******.Mainly as a derogatory name for blacks
                              Even in the old Sears Roebuck catalogs of the times, you can find coon songs and ethnic or racial dilact records. One example is Cohen on the Telephone, which was recited in a jewish accent. it's about a jewish man talking to a friend or relative on the telephone. Because the connection on phones of this period weren't always good, the person on the other end might have problems understanding what you are saying.Here's an example from Cohen:The wind blew down the shutters.No,I didn't tell you to shut up.
                              My dad once in awhile would recite Cohen on the Telephone,complete with jewish accent.For him it wasn't hard,since he spoke both german and yiddish.
                              But my late father didn't do it to be mean. He could see the humor in the problems that Cohen was having with the phone. Cohen wasn't just about technology problems with the phone, but also about the frustations we all experience in our everyday lives with people and things.

Comment

Thanks Holly - I was afraid that was what it was about. It's unreal to see it printed on the cover though.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X