Maps of the Murder Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps of the Murder Sites

Folks, I found this link to a site with a collection of marvelous maps of 1888 Whitechapel.

You may have seen these already, but I hadn't seen these particular maps before.

Many of the readily available maps are quite difficult to discern easily.

Apologies if this has already been posted to the boards.

Thanks Barny, nice find.

I often think there should be a subforum on here purely for maps and other handy websites and research tools.

Comment

One possible inaccuracy spotted - I think the railway arch containing the entrance to Swallow Gardens was nearer the Mansell St end of Chamber St, where the arches begin to curve north.

Comment

i blv Volume XI provides an 1889 insurance map of Whitechapel

there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
          Folks, I found this link to a site with a collection of marvelous maps of 1888 Whitechapel.

You may have seen these already, but I hadn't seen these particular maps before.

Many of the readily available maps are quite difficult to discern easily.

Apologies if this has already been posted to the boards.

http://campbellmgold.com/archive_definitive/jr_maps.pdf
          Interesting collection.

Seen one obvious mistake. Nichols is shown outside the Board School.
          Otherwise seems useful

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            Interesting collection.

Seen one obvious mistake. Nichols is shown outside the Board School.
            Otherwise seems useful

Thanks

Steve
            Yeah Steve I noticed that.

I do confess that my understanding of the nuances of the case are hampered by my trying to get my head round exact what the streets were like at that time.

I'm particular, I think that the first murder could tell us quite a lot if we understood why Polly decided to leave a busy thoroughfare and make her way home via an isolated and risky back street.

I particularly appreciate the work done by Richardh and his computerised reconstructions.

Comment

Yeah Steve I noticed that.

I do confess that my understanding of the nuances of the case are hampered by my trying to get my head round exact what the streets were like at that time.

I'm particular, I think that the first murder could tell us quite a lot if we understood why Polly decided to leave a busy thoroughfare and make her way home via an isolated and risky back street.

I particularly appreciate the work done by Richardh and his computerised reconstructions.
              Yes I have nothing but praise for Richard. He has done some great work in the last few weeks on Bucks Row.

Steve

Comment

>>Seen one obvious mistake...<<<

Actually, many of them are wrong. At a quick glance, Smith, Nichols, Stride, Goulston, Kelly.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

These unfortunates had a 'beat' just like the police. They didn't stand in one spot all night, they kept moving, and they would learn by experience to stick to the same streets.
                  If they walked a street that was the 'beat' of another unfortunate they could get "a good hiding" from the other unfortunate on who's street she had just wandered.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                  X