Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - by DJA 22 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - by Wickerman 52 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - by Pcdunn 59 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: "Murder...!" cry - by DJA 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: "Murder...!" cry - by c.d. 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: "Murder...!" cry - by DJA 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - (116 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: "Murder...!" cry - (11 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly killed in daylight hours.? - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (9 posts)
Rippercast: 10 Weeks in Whitechapel Audio Series - (3 posts)
Casebook Announcements: All Posters Read This! - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Two points

1. Is there even the slightest evidence that the suit had buttons not a zip

2. Where is the evidence that that was the only suit he owned.

Two replies..

1. There is no reference [at least none I can find anywhere] as to whether the trousers were buttoned or zipped. My guess is that back in 1961 it was more common for suits [especially individually designed ones] to have buttoned flies. Far safer [and classier] than zipped flies.

2. You need to re-read my post more carefully as i never implied that Hanratty had only one suit. He also had a green suit which he took to Burtols on the morning of August 21st to be cleaned and altered. It is widely understood and accepted that Hanratty was wearing the Hepworth suit during the week of the murder.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
Oops and here's silly old me googling the term and thinking there was a discernable difference between a bespoke suit and the usual made to measure suit.

I must try harder...................
That's ok.

I am pretty certain that the Hepworth's suit would have been made to measure rather than fully bespoke in the traditional Savile Row meaning of the term, in any event buttons or zips would have been an option.

The trousers to the suit were produced in court as an exhibit and as the zip point was not taken by the ever alert Mr Sherrard, one has to assume now that there is nothing in the point.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The trousers to the suit were produced in court as an exhibit and as the zip point was not taken by the ever alert Mr Sherrard one has to assume now that there is nothing in the point.
Perhaps you can enlighten us all by telling us the exhibit number of the Hepworth trousers ??

Rather strange and remiss of 'The ever alert Mr Sherrard' [as you call him] not to insist on Michael Clark, or even a photo of him, making an appearance at the trial for comparison purposes with Hanratty.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten us all by telling us the exhibit number of the Hepworth trousers ??
I would not presume to be enlightening everyone, as some may already know, but I believe that the trousers in question became Exhibit 43 at the trial.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Sergeant

Moreover the tailor’s assistant from Hepworth’s who served Hanratty, William Clapp, gave evidence on 25-Jan-62 and was asked to identify the trousers.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Moreover the tailor’s assistant from Hepworth’s who served Hanratty, William Clapp, gave evidence on 25-Jan-62 and was asked to identify the trousers.
However nothing was mentioned by William James Clapp as to whether the trousers had a buttoned or zipped fly.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Detective

Quote:
On July 8th 1961 James Hanratty, accompanied by his brother Michael, went to Hepworth's Tailors in Burnt Oak to be measured for a bespoke suit. A bespoke suit differs from a made to measure one in that is individually crafted to a customer's own personal specifications and cut from a pattern drafted from scratch.

He collected the suit 6 weeks later on August 18th and started wearing it from that point onwards.

If the trousers to that Hepworth suit had a buttoned fly as opposed to a zipped fly then that eliminates, at one stroke, James Hanratty from being the A6 murderer.

Why ?? you might well ask.

Because Valerie Storie's own testimony at the Bedford trial was that the murderer..."undid the zip of the fly of his trousers, pushed me back into a half-lying, half-sitting position, leaning against the bag of washing, and without removing any more of his clothing he raped me."
Very good point SH.

However, I feel certain that if pressed on the subject ,Ms. Storie would simply have parried the questioning with. 'Well ... I was about to be sickeningly violated,'(pause for effect,and allow pity to resurface)' I may be wrong about the method that his trousers fastened,' (one of her little frowns to add emphases ) 'the point is he was readying himself to rape me, what difference does it make'?
None of the jury after this would have given a hoot about zipper or buttons,and that little matter would have gone under the carpet along with the misidentification farce,Acotts adjusted notes,the use of self admitted liars as witnesses,and the host of other oddities and screw ups that favoured the prosecution.

Last edited by moste : 03-24-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post

However, I feel certain that if pressed on the subject ,Ms. Storie would simply have parried the questioning with. 'Well ... I was about to be sickeningly violated,'(pause for effect,and allow pity to resurface)' I may be wrong about the method that his trousers fastened,' (one of her little frowns to add emphases ) 'the point is he was readying himself to rape me, what difference does it make'?
That would not surprise me in the slightest, Moste, given Valerie's penchant for forgetfulness, misidentifications, contradictory statements and economy with the truth when it best suited her interests.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Detective

Sherlock,

I'm on record as being highly critical of the (apparent) weight that was given to Valerie Storie's identification evidence. However, I consider it staggeringly unfair of you and moste to judge her here on the basis of an answer she never gave to a question she was never asked about something you don't know and which Hanratty's defence counsel may have anyway checked and dismissed.

Regards,

OneRound
Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRound View Post
Sherlock,

I'm on record as being highly critical of the (apparent) weight that was given to Valerie Storie's identification evidence. However, I consider it staggeringly unfair of you and moste to judge her here on the basis of an answer she never gave to a question she was never asked about something you don't know and which Hanratty's defence counsel may have anyway checked and dismissed.

Regards,

OneRound
Oh! Ok.