Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 20 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - by The Station Cat 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 9 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 9 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - by Herlock Sholmes 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (24 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (4 posts)
Neil, P.C. John: Running towards me without a hat, which raised my suspicions!!! - (1 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Inactive

I note that Crawford had a son who was curate at St. Matthew, Bethnal Green. Though Crawford was born in France, I take it he was a Scotsman? That raises interesting possibilities of a relationship with Farquharson. They both attended Eton and Cambridge, though Crawford was quite a bit older. Also, Crawford had served as an MP before Farquharson.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspallek View Post
There was also another Emily Druitt who lived behind the London Hospital in Whitechapel. We do not know whether she was related to Montague, probably not.
She didn't live on Turner Street, did she? On my first trips to London, there was a charming little pub on that street, right behind the London Hospital, where one could meet dozens of young nurses who would frequent the place after their shifts. I have fond memories of it. I hasten to add that this was long before I was married.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Inactive

The Emily Druitt who lived behind the London Hospital was at 288 Oxford Street.

Interestingly, Edward Reginald Lindsay was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1901 and later took holy orders, quite like John Henry Lonsdale only 20 years later. It must have been a somewhat common practice.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Superintendent

Default Archives and Jabez Druitt

A quick search of the National Archives reveals the following sources of info,
The Druitt Papers,
Created by,
Druitt family of Wimborne Minister, Dorset and London
item: Letters - [no ref.] - date: 1889

33 letters etc

Contents
From F.H. Arnold, Emsworth; Rev. E.B. Cruikshank, Midhurst, with a cutting on the execution of the brothers Drewett of Midhurst (2); James D. Drewett, Mitcham, with a completed questionnaire issued by Gertrude (4); Jane Drewett, Forest Hill; S. Drewett, Seine, France (2); Francis N. Druitt, East Dulwich; Charles Druitt, West Kensington, with an account of a branch of the family by Miss Jane Druitt of Drogheda (5); Jabez Druitt, Mile End Road; James Searle Druitt, with a note from his son James and a note on their branch of the family (2); Richard Druitt, Roman Road; S.W. Kershaw, hamleth; Palace library; Charles Mayo, Long Burton, Sherborne, with notes on the family, a cutting from a directory, a letter from R.L. Carpenter, Bridport, to Mr. Solly and one from Horace V. Thompson, Devizes, to Mr. Mayo (9); John B. Moncklin, Guildhall; J. Smyth, Dublin; copy of G.E. Druitt's circular letter to other Druitts asking for information about the family
http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/records...itt&cid=13-1-5
Held at the Sussex Archives

Seine, France (2); Francis N. Druitt, East Dulwich; Charles Druitt, West Kensington, with an account of a branch of the family by Miss Jane Druitt of Drogheda (5); Jabez Druitt, Mile End Road; James Searle Druitt, with a note from his son James and a note
Date: 1889
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...x=20&y =9&j=t

Letters
From Jabez Druitt, Mile End Road, with a memorial card to his wife Sophia (2); F.D. Drewitt, Grosvenor Square; William Drewitt, Easebourne, with his business cards (3); Rev. Geo. {George?} E. Gardiner, Bor, Wilts.; (C.H. Mayo, Long Burton Vicarage, Sherborne
Date: 1888
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...x=20&y =9&j=t

Hope this helps
Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Inactive

Thank you Mike. The information you give relates to the letters held at the West Sussex Records Office in Chichester but they it does give some information as to the content of the 1888 letter from Jabez to the Christchurch Druitts. The occasion for the letter was the death of Jabez's wife Sophia, recorded in third quarter 1888, roughly the time the WM started. I remember reading that a long time ago but I had completely forgotten it. There is another letter from Jabez in 1889.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Inactive

Interestingly enough, authoress Lucy Walford gives the name "Jabez Druitt" to one of her characters in her novel Iva Kildare: A Matrimonial Problem (1897). As part of the novel pokes fun at this "funny-sounding" name, I suspect the authoress had somewhere encountered the Jabez Druitt's name and it simply stuck in her mind. Walford died in 1915.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Inactive

Some of this information is beginning to come back to me now. Jabez Druitt was listed in Kelly's and other directories as a "Monumental Mason," i.e., as in cemetery monuments. He, not surprisingly, had a shop near Manor Park. This is the cemetery in which Polly Nicholls and Catherine Eddowes are buried and near to the cemetery where Ann Chapman is buried, not that this connects him in any way to their murders. Later on he appears to have had multiple shops and also exhibited some of his other sculptures. He was obviously very successful.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Premium Member
Chief Inspector

Andy
The tree below might be of use
Chris
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Inactive

Thanks, Chris, but where's Emily?