Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 2 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Thompson, Francis: Jack the Poet - by Simon Webb 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (35 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (9 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (4 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (2 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack the Poet - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Witnesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 PM
MysterySinger MysterySinger is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair Bear View Post
I like to think that it wasn't near his place of residence (though concede I may be wrong). I also like the blitz-style attack, but I'm not so sure. Nichols known movements place her further West of the crime scene. It's also clear that she touted for business along Whitechapel road. I get the impression that her plan was to repeatedly wander East along Whitechapel and then back again, only moving off Whitechapel once she was at Osborn Street. I think she met the Ripper whilst she was as far East as she was moving, and they walked to Buck's Row. Notice that the murder took place in front of the gates and not a house. I think that they walked to that point, and the Ripper would have looked behind him towards White's Row, looked in front of him towards Brady street, have seen nobody, so then decided to kill her. He then took off back towards White's Row, escaping down the street they probably came up (Court), at which point Cross was entering Buck's Row.

The last known sighting of Nichols (as far as I'm aware) was at 2:30am on Whitechapel Road, opposite the church and on the corner of Osborne Street. Upon being asked by Jane Oran to go back with her to 18 Thrawl Street, Nichols refused and wanted to go to a place on Flower & Dean Street where men and women were allowed to sleep. Could she have met someone and intended to take him there and - the question for someone with more knowledge of the geography of the area than I - would Buck's Row have been a logical route from where she was seen towards Flower & Dean Street?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySinger View Post
The last known sighting of Nichols (as far as I'm aware) was at 2:30am on Whitechapel Road, opposite the church and on the corner of Osborne Street. Upon being asked by Jane Oran to go back with her to 18 Thrawl Street, Nichols refused and wanted to go to a place on Flower & Dean Street where men and women were allowed to sleep. Could she have met someone and intended to take him there and - the question for someone with more knowledge of the geography of the area than I - would Buck's Row have been a logical route from where she was seen towards Flower & Dean Street?
Not really. Both Thrawl St and Flower & Dean St are most directly reached by heading north(ish) up Osborn St, whereas Buck's Row is half a mile away along Witechapel Road. There's plenty of pubs in the area though, so if she was looking for company she could easily have wandered that far and been on her way back with a prospective bed-fellow, but it's definitely not a direct route from where she was last sighted.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,649
Default

A point which seems to have been either missed or discounted is contained in the Official Police Report by Abberline and Swanson dated 19th September 1888:


“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”


I have found nothing to support this so far; however it could tie in with Paul's comments on the danger of the street, and Mrs Greens somewhat over the top insistence that there were no disorderly houses in the street, and women were not seen about. This of course despite a juror saying there were several such establishments in Thomas Street.

Just a possibility.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
A point which seems to have been either missed or discounted is contained in the Official Police Report by Abberline and Swanson dated 19th September 1888:


“Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented*by prostitutes for immoral purposes at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”


I have found nothing to support this so far; however it could tie in with Paul's comments on the danger of the street, and Mrs Greens somewhat over the top insistence that there were no disorderly houses in the street, and women were not seen about. This of course despite a juror saying there were several such establishments in Thomas Street.

Just a possibility.

Steve
Hi Steve,

It is hardly a very qualified hypothesis that the police knew which streets were frequented by prostitutes.

But Jack the Ripper did not target "prostitutes" as a priority. If they were prostitutes, that was just something which was a posiibility and sometimes a fact for these women who were walking the streets at night.

One could make a list of characteristics for the type of women he was looking for. And being a prostitute was not their most prominent feature.

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi Steve,

It is hardly a very qualified hypothesis that the police knew which streets were frequented by prostitutes.

But Jack the Ripper did not target "prostitutes" as a priority. If they were prostitutes, that was just something which was a posiibility and sometimes a fact for these women who were walking the streets at night.

One could make a list of characteristics for the type of women he was looking for. And being a prostitute was not their most prominent feature.

Pierre

I agree Pierre,

It is just a possible reason why Nichols was in Bucks Row. The Question in the thread.
According to that report the POLICE believed it was a place where prostitutes went. That does not mean they are correct of course, only that they believed it to be so.
It seems that night at least Nichols was working, and a reason why she may have ended up in Bucks Row.

One has to say that the tendency shown by Mrs Green, which basically amounts to her saying this is a nice street, no women working round here, motive to make the area appear better, can be seen as being just a tad over the top.

Given the comment in the report, it cannot be ruled out that she took someone there has it was a placed used for such activity. However it's not something I would spend too much time debating.


On your final point, who knows? You obviously think you do, I await details patiently.

Steve

Last edited by Elamarna : 08-22-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Darryl Kenyon Darryl Kenyon is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 83
Default

Maybe she was going to or from nearby Whitechapel station trying to pick a client up, or to find somewhere within the building to sleep for the night. Could you enter/exit the station from nearby Winthrop St ?

Last edited by Darryl Kenyon : 08-22-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Adding to post
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Elamarna;426644]

Quote:
I agree Pierre,

It is just a possible reason why Nichols was in Bucks Row. The Question in the thread.
According to that report the POLICE believed it was a place where prostitutes went. That does not mean they are correct of course, only that they believed it to be so.
And this means the area was an area where there would be an expectancy of finding that specific type of woman.

And that means that the area was important for the killer.

Quote:
It seems that night at least Nichols was working, and a reason why she may have ended up in Bucks Row.
And whatever she was doing there, in that particular street, she was out in the streets at night in Whitechapel.

Quote:
One has to say that the tendency shown by Mrs Green, which basically amounts to her saying this is a nice street, no women working round here, motive to make the area appear better, can be seen as being just a tad over the top.
That is a very good source critical analysis. You point to the tendency and explain it with the motive. In this case you think as an historian.

Quote:
Given the comment in the report, it cannot be ruled out that she took someone there has it was a placed used for such activity. However it's not something I would spend too much time debating.
Yes, and I agree with you, it is not something to spend time on debating. It is irrelevant what she did. The relevant question is what type of woman she was. The killer only had to see her to understand that.

Quote:
On your final point, who knows? You obviously think you do, I await details patiently.

Steve
Yes, but it is easy to see what the killer saw. You only have to look at pictures of that type of woman from the time period, or read about them in the newspapers from the time, and you will see what he saw.

This type of woman was not everywhere and not as frequent anywhere as in Whitechapel. In Whitechapel there was a high chance of finding this type of woman. It was actually guaranteed.

Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,649
Default

[quote=Pierre;426646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post



And this means the area was an area where there would be an expectancy of finding that specific type of woman.

And that means that the area was important for the killer.



And whatever she was doing there, in that particular street, she was out in the streets at night in Whitechapel.



That is a very good source critical analysis. You point to the tendency and explain it with the motive. In this case you think as an historian.



Yes, and I agree with you, it is not something to spend time on debating. It is irrelevant what she did. The relevant question is what type of woman she was. The killer only had to see her to understand that.



Yes, but it is easy to see what the killer saw. You only have to look at pictures of that type of woman from the time period, or read about them in the newspapers from the time, and you will see what he saw.

This type of woman was not everywhere and not as frequent anywhere as in Whitechapel. In Whitechapel there was a high chance of finding this type of woman. It was actually guaranteed.

Pierre

Straying off topic, that does not tell us why he sought this type of women?
If he sought a particular type of women, what was the significance of this type? What was his motive?

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Simon Wood Simon Wood is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,218
Default

Hi All,

There was access from Winthrop Street to Bucks Row via Brown's Yard.

Polly Nichols was found in Bucks Row outside the gates of Brown's Yard.

The gates to Brown's Yard opened inwards.

Regards,

Simon
__________________
Fidiamo in Legno.
http://deconstructingjack.net/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 AM
MrBarnett MrBarnett is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Romford
Posts: 1,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Hi All,

There was access from Winthrop Street to Bucks Row via Brown's Yard.

Polly Nichols was found in Bucks Row outside the gates of Brown's Yard.

The gates to Brown's Yard opened inwards.

Regards,

Simon
Hi Simon,

Was there access from Brown's Yard into the 'Stores' on Winthrop Street?

Gary
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.