Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Observer 56 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (44 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (35 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - (3 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (3 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (2 posts)
Fiction: Severin: A Tale of Jack the Ripper - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Inspector

Caz,

Maybe. I was once locked out of my house because of a number of circumstances, too boring to list here, on a September night-- wasn't bad until the temp began to drop. I wandered around the patio and porch, trying to wait for daybreak and my house-mate's return from work. I was not suicidal, so didn't enjoy the experience at all, and didn't sleep much.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Casebook Supporter

Well, if I were dying from hypothermia, and wanted to end it quickly, then it would have been a stroke in a million that I happened to have some strychnine handy. If on the other hand I had brought the strychnine with the intention of using it to kill myself, why give myself a dose of hypothermia first?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Inspector

Perhaps he was counting on dying by exposure as some sort of penance, and the poison was just a backup.

Or, he didn't bring it with him-- his murderer left it with him.
---------------
Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
I don't know. A few years ago a pair of sisters traveled from Australia to a particular city in Colorado so they could attempt a suicide pact at a place called the "Family Shooting Range"-- only one woman died, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
I recall that one, I think the 2nd sister was charged with something.

But don't recall ever hearing an outcome.
Kristin and Candace Hermeler. That was a really weird case. At least one of them had had an obsession with Columbine, had even written to and even called one of the survivors several times. Their suitcases were full of news and magazine clippings about it. They also had a small stack of books about various spiritual beliefs and The God Delusion (I think, maybe another Dawkins book). Instead of leaving a suicide note they had mailed letters to a lawyer to distribute after they died. They had just hung around the area of the school for five weeks. The surviving twin never said anything about their reasoning and refused to even identify herself- she was finally identified by relatives they had to fly over. There were no charges.
Very strange, very sad.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyrand View Post
Kristin and Candace Hermeler. That was a really weird case. At least one of them had had an obsession with Columbine, had even written to and even called one of the survivors several times. Their suitcases were full of news and magazine clippings about it. They also had a small stack of books about various spiritual beliefs and The God Delusion (I think, maybe another Dawkins book). Instead of leaving a suicide note they had mailed letters to a lawyer to distribute after they died. They had just hung around the area of the school for five weeks. The surviving twin never said anything about their reasoning and refused to even identify herself- she was finally identified by relatives they had to fly over. There were no charges.
Very strange, very sad.
Thanks, I recall there was talk of charges at one time, but obviously they didn't proceed.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Inspector

It was one of the most bizarre things ever to turn up on my local newscast, I know that. Thanks to Shaggyrand for researching the outcome. All I knew was the story was hot for a few days, then dropped out of rotation. Mental illness was most likely at the root of it.
---------------
Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Well, if I were dying from hypothermia, and wanted to end it quickly, then it would have been a stroke in a million that I happened to have some strychnine handy. If on the other hand I had brought the strychnine with the intention of using it to kill myself, why give myself a dose of hypothermia first?
That's not quite what I had in mind, Robert.

I wondered if it was belt and braces. Try the effects of exposure first, and if that doesn't do the trick, or is taking too long and becomes unbearable, resort to the strychnine to do the job for you. I mean, one can only [successfully] commit suicide once, and the length and level of suffering involved with each potential method would presumably be an unknown quantity and differ from person to person. Two years ago, one of my brothers (with a long history of depression) drank himself almost into a coma before jumping to his death from his high-rise balcony.

If the man on the moor went there alone and determined to die, he had to make sure his available/chosen method(s) would work and not just leave him dying slowly of hunger and thirst. Alternatively, it might have taken him hours to pluck up the courage to take the strychnine, by which time the cold December night air would already have taken effect. But the fact he wasn't suitably dressed for the trip and went despite the warning about not getting back in daylight looks like part of the plan.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hi Caz

It may be as you say.

Very sorry to hear about your brother.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Thanks Robert. It finally seemed an appropriate moment to mention it, but I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone for the world.

Incidentally, my brother didn't leave any hints about "going abroad", or (heaven forbid) "going like mother", and he didn't talk to any north country vicars - he wasn't religious. So if one sells a story to the papers in a few years it will be a story - not fact dressed up as fiction.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 06-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
That's not quite what I had in mind, Robert.

I wondered if it was belt and braces. Try the effects of exposure first, and if that doesn't do the trick, or is taking too long and becomes unbearable, resort to the strychnine to do the job for you. I mean, one can only [successfully] commit suicide once, and the length and level of suffering involved with each potential method would presumably be an unknown quantity and differ from person to person. Two years ago, one of my brothers (with a long history of depression) drank himself almost into a coma before jumping to his death from his high-rise balcony.

If the man on the moor went there alone and determined to die, he had to make sure his available/chosen method(s) would work and not just leave him dying slowly of hunger and thirst. Alternatively, it might have taken him hours to pluck up the courage to take the strychnine, by which time the cold December night air would already have taken effect. But the fact he wasn't suitably dressed for the trip and went despite the warning about not getting back in daylight looks like part of the plan.

Love,

Caz
X

Sorry about your brother Caz (that mongrel Black Dog as Churchill called it) but I think your last paragraph is the most likely, took him time to pluck up the courage and on a cold night hypothermia, which he barely noticed in a depressed and suicidal state, got him.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.