Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by richardnunweek 30 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Sam Flynn 45 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Varqm 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Varqm 4 hours ago.
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - by harry 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Abby Normal 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (19 posts)
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - (12 posts)
General Discussion: Two Years of Articles - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnett´s alibi accepted lightly? - (4 posts)
Visual Media: Francis Thompson Priest Poet Ripper - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Is the first published suspect book overlooked? - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It does not support any "notion" that they heard "different cries". The reason for this is that testimony often has a variation over time even when given by the same person.

So there is no evidence for two different persons in the past screaming about murder from the perspective of the variation in the statements.

Here is the small set of statements we have from the police investigation and the inquest:

"...screams of murder about two or three times in a female voice" (Prater 1),"...she screamed out murder, I only heard it once" (Lewis 1), A cry of "oh, Murder!" in a "faint voice" (Prater 2), and "a female voice shout loudly one Murder! (Lewis 2).

As we see, and as you say yourself, the statements of Prater 1 and 2 differ.

In Prater 1 you have "screams of murder", i.e. multiple, in Prater 2 you have "oh, Murder!", i e. singular. This does not mean that Prater heard two different persons screaming, but if we follow your idea of two different scream(s) that interpretation would be more valid for Prater alone, since she made two different statements.

In Lewis 1 you have her own reflection "I only heard it once", and this means that there was not one or two or three screams in her description, but she describes exclusively what she heard herself (This does not mean that the sound of the scream(s) in reality was corresponding to her statement later given). It is a subjectice interpretation for herself as subject. In Lewis 2 you have "loudly" "one Murder". This may indicate that the "faint" cries heard by Prater did not reach Lewis and that only one cry was loud. As you see there are multiiple problems here.

So your idea is not valid, David.
Oh my dear dear boy, you have, quite charmingly, misunderstood the premise on which my post was made. To be clear, this was that if, as Bridewell was suggesting, neither Prater or Lewis were really aware of the time they heard a sound then there is no good reason remaining to think they heard the same sound.

My dear boy you can't get away from the fact that Prater's final and very clear position in her evidence was that the sound was in a faint voice and it is very hard to reconcile that with a loud scream.

And my dear boy, you are right to highlight the inconsistencies in Prater's evidence but then it does lead to the possibility that she didn't hear a sound at all during the night but was making it all up.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Oh my dear dear boy, you have, quite charmingly, misunderstood the premise on which my post was made. To be clear, this was that if, as Bridewell was suggesting, neither Prater or Lewis were really aware of the time they heard a sound then there is no good reason remaining to think they heard the same sound.

My dear boy you can't get away from the fact that Prater's final and very clear position in her evidence was that the sound was in a faint voice and it is very hard to reconcile that with a loud scream.

And my dear boy, you are right to highlight the inconsistencies in Prater's evidence but then it does lead to the possibility that she didn't hear a sound at all during the night but was making it all up.
How interesting, David. Is there any evidence that Prater "was making it all up"?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
How interesting, David. Is there any evidence that Prater "was making it all up"?
Oh yes my dear boy, you see she told the police immediately after the murder that she heard "screams of murder about two or three times" but then when it came to the inquest this became a single cry of "Oh! Murder!" in a faint voice.

When someone changes their story so dramatically, my dear boy, this could properly be put before a jury as evidence that they are making the story up.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Oh yes my dear boy, you see she told the police immediately after the murder that she heard "screams of murder about two or three times" but then when it came to the inquest this became a single cry of "Oh! Murder!" in a faint voice.

When someone changes their story so dramatically, my dear boy, this could properly be put before a jury as evidence that they are making the story up.
Hardly. People in Spitalfields forgot about things. They drank, didn´t sleep well, and worried about the murder in No 13. So no, since she did tell the police already on the 9th.

And using strong words does not help you. "Dramatically". Really, David!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
People in Spitalfields forgot about things.
Oh my dear boy, what an interesting statement. Do you have any data to support it?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Oh my dear boy, what an interesting statement. Do you have any data to support it?
Sure. The data referred to by yourself in your own post above:

Quote:
Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Sure. The data referred to by yourself in your own post above:
Oh my dear boy, I only cited an instance of a single person changing her story because, I suggested, she might have been making it up.

Do you have any data to support your claim that people in Spitalfields forgot about things?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Would slashing the throat several times disguise a fracture of the hyoid bone typically found after strangulation? (Not disputing what you say - just posing the question as I don't know the answer).
Thankyou Colin.
Something to consider.
I've also read that the hyoid bone is not always broken during strangulation.

I think there is a reasonable question to pose knowing that pressure points in manual strangulation differ greatly when compared to the use of a ligature.

We might ask, does the hyoid bone break with the use of a ligature, is it more likely or less likely to break the bone.
I wouldn't know.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
There is nothing in the half-hour chime to indicate which chime it was.....
Colin.

In the town where I was brought up there were distinct secondary chimes associated with the quarter-hour chime. I just assumed Spitalfields Church would be the same.
In a time when the ordinary citizen could not afford a watch, it is only reasonable to expect the town clock needs to differentiate the three quarter-hour chimes so ordinary people who could not see the clock could tell which quarter-hour it was.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
We might ask, does the hyoid bone break with the use of a ligature, is it more likely or less likely to break the bone.
I wouldn't know.
I'd have thought it less likely, in that a ligature would have to be precisely placed over the hyoid in order to effect a breakage. A ligature applied above or below the hyoid would still restrict blood-flow to the head to the extent of causing syncope or death, without necessarily breaking the hyoid. Manual pressure, being a somewhat more coarse-grained method of strangulation, would surely result in hyoid fractures more often than would a ligature.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)