Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Audio -- Visual: A mannequin prop of Catherine Eddowes' corpse for a new play about Jack the Ripper. - by Pcdunn 10 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by StevenOwl 21 minutes ago.
General Discussion: General Victoriana - by Sam Flynn 39 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 40 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Sam Flynn 51 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 60 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (93 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (26 posts)
Feigenbaum, Carl: A Likely Suspect? - (13 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (10 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (5 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's memorial to be removed - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #381  
Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
John G John G is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,958
Default

[quote=Pierre;413502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post

Not for me, John.
By definition, it has to be speculative as it can't be based on knowledge.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,364
Default

[quote=John G;413508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

By definition, it has to be speculative as it can't be based on knowledge.
For you, yes.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
John G John G is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,958
Default

[quote=Pierre;413511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post

For you, yes.
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you've no proof, which can only be in the nature of a confession, that you're willing to disclose.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 05-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Yes, but Chapman was murdered outside, i.e. not inside a multi-occupancy building with thin walls.
Only the partition was thin, and abutted onto the stairwell. Prater was at the other end of the house, pissed and asleep, with her door barricaded. The other residents were scattered throughout Miller's Court, most of them also asleep. The residents of 29 Hanbury were in the same building as Chapman and her killer passed through, and many were about to get up for work.
Quote:
You say the killer didn't wait around for ages. However, in your scenario he must have delayed until they reached Kelly's accommodation
Yes, and for a minute or two - that's all - inside.
Quote:
If the assailant didn't also undress that would surely have seemed very odd to Kelly.
Why?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 05-01-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Hi Jon,

She was found in bed and wearing a nightdress which, as I noted earlier, indicates she'd retired for the night.
Hi John.
I don't think it does, what I think is that you are confusing our modern more luxurious tendencies to undress for bed in something light and comfortable, because our bedrooms are warm and cozy.
This was the East end John, the poor and destitute living in drafty hovels.

We have firsthand accounts from a couple of witnesses that they went to sleep fully dressed. These houses were cold and drafty, these poor women did not waste precious kindling on a fire unless it was to earn some money.
Kelly was dressed in her nightdress because she was entertaining. If she had been alone she would have gone to bed clothed, like the other women of her class.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 05-02-2017, 04:33 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post

If the assailant didn't also undress that would surely have seemed very odd to Kelly.

John, what's to say he didn't. Indeed have not some suggested that he may have undressed to prevent his clothes being covered in blood.

Not something I think myself, but a possibility.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
John, what's to say he didn't. Indeed have not some suggested that he may have undressed to prevent his clothes being covered in blood.

Not something I think myself, but a possibility.

Steve
I don't see any problem with the killer undressing as a real possibility, nor do I see any with Sams idea that she wasn't completely sleeping when the attack started. Someone arriving at 4am that is a "friend" of Marys and is granted entry is an intimate "friend".

Which is why in this case I believe people should be looking for the other Joe she was seeing, perhaps Issacs, or other liaison "friends" who, for whatever reason, wanted to punish Mary Kelly. To make her ugly to look at.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 AM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,364
Default

[quote=John G;413512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you've no proof, which can only be in the nature of a confession, that you're willing to disclose.
A confession isn´t enough for us to know who the Whitechapel murderer was.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Kelly was dressed in her nightdress because she was entertaining. If she had been alone she would have gone to bed clothed, like the other women of her class.
Thanks for that very interesting observation, Jon. Food for thought!
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Thanks for that very interesting observation, Jon. Food for thought!
The fact that Mary had a room in her own name and lived primarily off the kindness of men and solicitation puts her in a class of her own Sam, few if any other street women had their own room, by themselves, in their name. Which allows for much greater privacy, hence, undressing for bed. Like the neatly piled clothing found in the room suggests.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.