Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 14 minutes ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Steadmund Brand 17 minutes ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Sam Flynn 49 minutes ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by DirectorDave 59 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Steadmund Brand 1 hour and 28 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (47 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (7 posts)
General Letters or Communications: The GOGMAGOG-letter - (5 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere a witness to the killer - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Why Mary had to die. - (4 posts)
General Victim Discussion: What does this picture remind you of? - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 AM
Sergeant

The good folk of Rhyl have discussed this statement on Facebook.

Rhyl Residents
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Hi Spitfire,

I don't do Facebook.

Anything particularly significant to report?

Love,

Caz
X

Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 AM
Sergeant

Hi Caz,

There are about 25 comments, but mostly they rely on what has been reported in the press or recount local gossip, and in doing so their account of the story in many cases is a bit garbled.

However, two people comment who were close to the people involved in the Rhyl end of the case and for what it's worth here they are.

Sheila Jacob posted as follows:-

I was engaged to Mrs Jones son and whilst we lived in River Street she lived the whole of her life in the same house along with her daughter Brenda - Grace always felt extremely guilty that because she "squeezed him in on a fully booked week" he was housed in the family area and ate with the family not in the dining room that gave the prosecution the ability to query her veracity but until the day she died she was adamant that she told the truth and he was innocent, there was also a C4 programme in the 80s and the green bathroom was still there and after the programme she got a lot of queries to come and stay in the room
9 August 2015 at 23:18 ˇ

And
Nina Evans posted:-

The man who was a wittness was my dad Terry Evans.I remember my Dad being on Panaroma about the case,my dad said Hannraty was innocent and gave many interveiws to Paul.Foot.
10 August 2015 at 14:40
Old 05-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Cheers, Spitfire.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Sergeant

Paul Foot described how he went to Rhyl in 1966 with the Panorama producer Jo Menell and met Terry Evans for the first time:
“Evans had not been in Rhyl on 22 August but he had heard later from several people that a young Londoner had been looking for him that night. Could he find any of these people, we asked? Yes, he would try.”

We know from the Nimmo report what happened next. Evans touted around Rhyl for anyone to tell Panorama they had seen Hanratty, in return for payment, and Jones agreed to do so as he was hard up at the time.

Foot continued: “The following week Jo Menell and John Morgan, the reporter, went back to interview the Rhyl witnesses on camera. Over a cup of tea in a café, Terry Evans gave them the disappointing news that he could not find the main man he was looking for, a newspaper-seller called Charlie Jones. As the journalists stared morosely into their tea, Charlie Jones came into the café.”

This is the supposed “chance” appearance of Jones who duly trotted out the story he had agreed with Evans. In an effort to conceal the link between Evans and Jones the Panorama narrator said: ‘We searched Rhyl for the paper-seller and found him.’
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Hi Spitfire,

I don't do Facebook.

Anything particularly significant to report?

Love,

Caz
X
Hi Caz,

Further to the comments reported by Spitfire, this one - from a Benny Lloyd - also caught my eye:
''Hanratty was in Rhyl - he showed a gun to several people in the West End Club by the Fairground. He left a day before the alibi he used. 100% guilty ''.

Best regards,

OneRound
Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Cheers OneRound.

Hmmm, interesting. Hanratty was provably in London on 21st, but do we know what he was up to during the following day, if we presume he wasn't on a train to Liverpool? Could he have gone to Rhyl instead, with his new toy, before returning south by the evening of the 22nd, itching to try out its 'pulling' power?

Or might he have been in Rhyl the previous week, showing it off? He does seem to have done a fair bit of moving around from place to place and far and wide.

Have a great weekend all.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 05-05-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Detective

Further to the comments reported by Spitfire, this one - from a Benny Lloyd - also caught my eye:
''Hanratty was in Rhyl - he showed a gun to several people in the West End Club by the Fairground. He left a day before the alibi he used. 100% guilty ''.

A pity the prosecution was not able to track down Benny Lloyd before the trial in 1962 so that either he, or the rest of the crowd who witnessed Hanratty with the gun, could have established a link that was not fully established at the time.
Except it is safe to assume Benny Lloyd is reporting hearsay, and may not even have been alive at the time. His assumption that if Hanratty had a gun in Liverpool therefore he must have been the murderer, is a reminder of the limited logic of our fellow man.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

A pity the prosecution was not able to track down Benny Lloyd before the trial in 1962 so that either he, or the rest of the crowd who witnessed Hanratty with the gun, could have established a link that was not fully established at the time.
Except it is safe to assume Benny Lloyd is reporting hearsay, and may not even have been alive at the time. His assumption that if Hanratty had a gun in Liverpool therefore he must have been the murderer, is a reminder of the limited logic of our fellow man.
Hi Cobalt,

I am in no position to comment on the validity or otherwise of Benny Lloyd's Facebook post. Simply, it just, as I said before, caught my eye.

I am surprised you see the need to protest so much.

Regards,

OneRound
Old 05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Detective

I hope I did not protest too much. Anything from a local perspective is always interesting, even if of dubious veracity. So thanks for putting it up. The failure to specify the type of gun being displayed in the club is quite telling, I think; criminals are usually very precise about weaponry. The story sounds like an urban legend that Liverpool police chief Bert Balmer would have been happy to spread about.

A bit like the one about the Kray twins arriving by train in Birmingham or Manchester or Liverpool (take your pick) and a posse of local mobsters (united for the occasion) fronting them off at the platform and sending them scurrying back to London. The Krays were never known to travel by train, and were home birds by instinct, but it makes a good tale.