Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying Hello & Question About Documents

Hello,

My name is Justin. I'm a graduate student at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania and have just begun researching Jack the Ripper for my thesis paper. I do not know much about the topic other than the basic details. I am currently reading the Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sudgen and have a few others books waiting for me to crack open (The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow, Jack the Ripper: The Uncensored Facts by Paul Begg, and The Jack the Ripper A to Z). I had a question about some of the original documents. I requested quotes from the National Archives for the MEPO and HO files, but they quoted each one at a hundred dollars or more. I live in America, so there is no way for me to get to the archives myself (at least not anytime soon). I was curious if anyone knew where I could find the digital copies - either for free or cheaper. I'm a student so funds are limited.

If anyone knows where I can find copies of these documents online or can forward them to me, then please let me know. Other than that, I am happy to be here and ready to learn. I probably won't post too often at first. I need to dive deeper into the material first.

Thanks,
    - Justin

The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion

Hello Justin. Welcome to the boards!

Some of the material you seek may be in Evans and Skinner's "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion." If you are serious about the case, it is indispensable.

Good luck with the thesis.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pick that up. I would really like a copy of the source material though as well. So if anyone else knows where I can get those, then please let me know. I want to use as many primary sources as I can.

Comment

Hi Justin,

The book Lynn described is the transcribed text of most of the source material found in the files at the National Archives at Kew. In the U.S. you can pick it up at Amazon. There are various books that offer facsimile copies of various documents, but the transcribed text enables you to not have to decipher, what is at times, some poor handwriting or damaged papers.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hello Justin, welcome to Casebook.

For starters, you've chosen some very good books.

The UK National Archives has digital copies of some of the Jack the Ripper material available online at: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ktheripper.pdf

There are further web-links embedded in the pdf.

Did you remember to ask the Archives for a student discount? You might also see if your college library can help you; sometimes universities have lending and research agreements with other universities, libraries, and archives. Can't hurt to ask.

Good luck!
          Archaic

Comment

Hi Justin - welcome to the boards.

You have made a good choice with your selected book so far and it is encouraging to learn you wish to use primary sources too.

Good luck with your studies.

Limehouse

Comment

Working...
            X