Your 'dream' JTR film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 'dream' JTR film

Nowt more than a bit of fun. And a distraction from writing about epilepsy all day

I have been thinking about films relating to the case a bit recently, and have also just caught up with the relevant podcasts (I am now finally up to date with every podcast, and therefore am champing at the bit for the next installment along with the rest of you no doubt) and thought it might be a bit of fun to play casting directors for a bit, of course without having to worry about finances or egos getting in the way of your wildest imaginings!

Basically, most of us here have seen a few 'Ripper' movies, or more, and I'm pretty sure we can all pick holes in the majority of them until the cows come home. But IF the ultimate 'Jack the Ripper' film was to be made, and it would be everything you ever wanted such a movie to be - who would you cast in it? You can have any characters you want, and anyone you want to play them. Name your character and your actor, however many at a time you want. The only rule is that they can't already have been in a related film. So no Johnny Depp as Kosminski, okay? Hugo Weaving may just about be allowed to reprise his role as Abberline from 'Wolfman', if there are no better suggestions.

I'll start it off - Robert Downey Jr. as Tumblety. With the moustache, of course.

Get thinking people!

Hello Trevor,

Hopefully you are allowing the actors past and present?...if so...

James Robertson Justice as Robert Anderson
    Alistair Sims as Henry Matthews
    David Jason as Insp. Abberline
    Sean Connery as Monro

As for another thought... how about a JTR2 with the individuals here from Casebook as the actors? ....hahahaha!

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Hello Trevor,

Hopefully you are allowing the actors past and present?...if so...

James Robertson Justice as Robert Anderson
      Alistair Sims as Henry Matthews
      David Jason as Insp. Abberline
      Sean Connery as Monro
      Fantastic choices Phil! Love the idea of Sims as Matthews - actually I just love the idea of Sims as anyone...hadn't though of past actors but why not? How about Edward Woodward as Swanson then?

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      As for another thought... how about a JTR2 with the individuals here from Casebook as the actors? ....hahahaha!

best wishes

Phil
      Now who's going to be brave enough to make the first suggestion for that one???

Hope you're good by the way Phil - I'm guessing you're missing out on the joy of the ash cloud up there as it seems to have decided it likes UK airspace much better than Scandinavian...

Comment

Fantasy JTR Movie

This would surely be the film to beat all films. You have to imagine that all the actors are at the height of their powers and age appropriate. You will note that I have not ascribed roles to any actresses for the victims. This is because I do not wish to have the image on my mind of my favourite female actors being murdered. Hope you like it.

F. G. Abberline: Michael Williams
        J. G. Littlechild: Geoffrey Palmer
        Sir C. Warren: James Cromwell
        Sir M. McNaghten: Denholm Elliott
        James Maybrick: Ian Bannen
        Sgt. W. Thick: Philip Glenister
        The Marquess of Salisbury: Tom Baker
        Thomas Neil Cream: James Finlayson
        M. J. Druitt: Kelsey Grammer
        Dr. Anderson: Jack Shepherd
        James Monro: Geoffrey Keen
        John Netley: Steve Buschemi
        Sir W.W. Gull: Clive Merrison
        Frederick Best: Ricky Gervais
        R.J. Lees: John Virgo
        Jacob Levy: Bob Hoskins
        John Pizer: Steve McFadden
        Israel Schwartz: Edward G. Robinson
        Francis Tumblety: Leslie Nielsen
        Richard Mansfield: William Shatner
        Aaron Kosminski: Ken Campbell

Rostrum camera: Ken Morse

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

This exact same topic was done here not very long ago, but I was just trying to find it and can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was or exactly how many months ago. I contributed then, but I love the idea so I'll do so again, with some of my same picks.

Hugo Weaving is the perfect Abberline.
          George Chapman- Daniel Day Lewis (remember him in "Gangs of New York").
          Walter Sickert- Hugh Grant
          Queen Victoria- Dame Judy Dench
          Aaron Kosminsky- Colin Ferrell
          Michael Ostrog- Robert Downey Jr.
          Martha Tabram- Camryn Manheim
          Polly Nicholls- Kathy Bates
          Catherine Eddowes- Tilda Swinton

Can't think of anyone for Annie Chapman or Liz Stride, though Lila Kaye (the barmaid in "An American Werewolf in London") would have been perfect for Annie back then but is too old now.

And for Mary Kelly- As before, I will qualify this by saying I know it will be a very unpopular choice. I feel bad for Lindsay Lohan and all her personal problems, and I would love to see her reinvigorate her career because when she applies herself she is actually a very good actress. So if we start to push this movie now, perhaps she would be the exact right age by the time filming begins and voice coaches could teach her the required Irish accent. Picture her in "shabby-genteel" clothes and with no makeup on. It could work, couldn't it? Just a thought.
          Last edited by kensei; 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Some quality suggestions thus far. I must have missed the thread last time around Kensei - I did do a search to try to make sure it hadn't been covered but couldn't find it either. Oh well, seems to be going down well anyway amongst those who also perhaps missed it then.

Steven - I am guessing your Sgt Thicke played by Glenister indicates you are still very much following our earlier theory as regards the good Johnny's 'upright'ness? A most exhaustive and impressive list there.

Juliette Binoche would be an excellent MJK, turning the clock back a little. Obviously the accent would need some work.

How about Brian Blessed as an alternative for George Chapman? And to my mind there is only one Kosminski - Peter Sellers!

Trying to find a role for Michael Elphick too. I'm sure Dame Judy/Queen Victoria would welcome a reunion. If he somehow wasn't dead, of Course.

Comment

posted by tnb "Steven - I am guessing your Sgt Thicke played by Glenister indicates you are still very much following our earlier theory as regards the good Johnny's 'upright'ness? A most exhaustive and impressive list there."

tnb,
              Thanks for your comments. You are correct about my choice of Glenister as Thick. The choice of John Virgo for Lees is based on a sketch of the medium which bears an uncanny resemblance to the erstwhile snooker player, but I can't remember where I saw it now and a google image search did not turn it up.

Regards,

Steve.
              Last edited by Steven Russell; 04-22-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Lees sketch.

Found it. It's in the A-Z.

Comment

Found it myself too. Very good spot!

Found a role for Elphick - Dr. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                    Found it myself too. Very good spot!

Found a role for Elphick - Dr. Brown
                    Good one. I don't know what I was thinking about with Steve Mc.Fadden. I wish I'd beaten you to it and bagsed Elphick for Pizer. Any ideas for Wynne Baxter? It would have to be someone who could do flambuoyant, eccentric, and pompous.

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                      Any ideas for Wynne Baxter? It would have to be someone who could do flambuoyant, eccentric, and pompous.
                      Stephen Fry?

Clive Owen for Dr Thomas Bond.

Polanski to direct? Or John Carpenter, in 'Assault on Precinct 13' mood, not 'escape from new york' or any such crap.

Comment

Sir Richard Attenborough to direct the film perhaps?

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil - now there's an idea. With a cameo perhaps, maybe as a member of the IWMEC?

Of Course, we have to also find a role for our resident actor - Mr Phillip Hutchinson.

Comment

Er, all the best actors have been taken, so I have no other option than to do a comedy answer. Sorry in advance:

Aberline: Kermit T. Frog.
                            Edmund Reid: The Great Gonzo
                            Sir William Gull: Dr Bunsen Burner
                            Sgt Thick: Rolph the Dog
                            HRH Queen Victoria: Miss Piggy
                            William Sickert: Rizzo Rat
                            Pizer: Waldorf
                            Wild Bill: Big Bird
                            Nathan Kozminski: Oscar Grouch
                            There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

"Flamboyant, eccentric, and pompous" for Baxter? That seems to cry out for Kelsey Grammar, who was earlier suggested for Druitt.

How about Crispin Glover for the Elephant Man. (Did you see his digitized portrayal of Grendel in "Beowulf"? Good God.)

Tnb suggested Peter Sellers as Kosminski, but if wishful thinking is the order of the day, shouldn't we only be focusing on actors who are alive and of near enough to the proper ages today? (And with makeup, that can vary by a couple of decades.) I suggested Colin Ferrell for Kosminski-- I think he could just as easily play Cutbush.

I also really think Emily Blunt should be in this movie, because I've recently become a fan of her's since seeing "The Young Victoria" and "The Wolfman." Abberline's wife, perhaps?

And as for who Phillip Huthchinson should play- well, it only seems fair that he portray his Casebook namesake, George Hutchinson, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X