"The Ripper" strikes again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
    I had the Ward fight a draw as well, and he's certainly not the number one pound for pound.
    Who would you say is number one?

-Dan

Comment

P4P.. right now... I would have to say Ward, because he did "win" the Kovalev fight...Not saying it was a bad decision, I personally scored it for Kovalev, close, but I have no argument with the decision....but he gets the #1 spot because of it.. two top 5 P4P guys fought and one got the decision... personally I feel GGG is the best fighter on the planet right now, but an argument can be made for Gonzalez (Roman), and Terence Crawford is a name who could be mentioned... and I think the winner of Keith Thurman Vs Danny Garcia should be considered (March 4th.. this is one I am really excited about!!!), also Shinsuke Yamanaka is a name you don't hear much (like most bantamweights) but he is a hell of a fighter...and Carlos Cuadras should be in the running anyway.. his only loss is to Gonzalez..and it was a closer fight than one judge had it....I agreed with the 115-113 card.. .so I would love to see that again!!!

Steadmund Brand

P.S now you all have me excited for Canastota... my favorite weekend of the year!!!
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

[QUOTEpersonally I feel GGG is the best fighter on the planet right now, [/QUOTE]

You think GGG walks over Jacobs?

Comment

Dantheman...where are you from? Ever been to Canastota for the inductions? If not it is well worth the trip

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I'm in California. I've never been to the inductions but I owe it to myself to get out there sometime. Maybe when my kids are a little older I'll take the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              And I am heading to Canastota for the 22nd year in a row!!!!
              Any year that stands out above the rest?

-Dan

Comment

[I feel GGG is the best fighter on the planet right now]

You think GGG walks over Jacobs?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Right now I don't think there is a person within 3 weight divisions that GGG doesn't beat....I think he is for real, and he is that good, Canelo will be a test...to see what GGG can take...but he is a master, he doesn't waste punches, he moves well, he stalks his opponent with his eyes...I have yet to see him make a serious mistake in the ring.....and that power...he is something special..

As for Canastota... wow.. that is hard....My first year stands out because it was all so new....you see, Canastota is unlike ANY OTHER Hall of Fame ceremonies, it is all about the fans...most things are free (you can pay for a banquet and cocktail party.. .but no need really, as everything is so interactive all weekend) there are usually 30-50 current or former world champions in town and they all just are there...signing autographs (for free..nobody charges for autographs there.... the director of the Hall will not allow it... he makes sure this is a weekend for the fans!!!) and hanging out.. I have become really good friends with so many people over the years..sadly so many that have since passed, but it is very interactive and just a great time...My first year there, I showed up really early on Thursday afternoon, there were hardly any people around... some staff members still setting up chairs and whatnot... and my brother and I showed up...and there were two old men sitting on folding chairs talking to each other.... I stopped dead in my tracks and said "oh my god.... that's Willie Pep and Archie Moore!!!" and it was...I went over to say hello and they invited us to sit down.....within 1/2 an hour Joe Frazier, Aaron Prior and Hector Camacho all were there.. and we all sat around talking (now that stuff doesn't happen all the time... it was a much smaller event 22 years ago).. wow...what is really sad is I just realized every one of those guys are dead now (I seriously feel like crying)

You owe it to yourself to get there, if you can I'll show you around and introduce you to a lot of folks...I love that place so much... so many great memories

Steadmund Brand

Comment

That's an amazing story! After reading that I'm definitely getting out there and soon. I've been a boxing fanatic ever since I can remember and have put it off for to long. Not sure what year I can make it but I'll contact you on these boards when I do.

-Dan

PS: By any chance do you read the Ring Magazine? I ask because I just recently picked it up again it's a decent read again. The magazine kind of went down hill after Goldenboy took over and fired most of the staff, including Nigel Collin's & Bill Detloff.

Comment

You do owe it to yourself.....every boxing fan should attend, at least one time...
                      as for Ring Magazine....I am a subscriber, have been for 30 years......wow that makes me feel old.....I agree it's had its ups and downs.....and now it is only 10 issues a year...but most print magazines have suffered....reminds me, a great friend of mine and former ring editor Steve Farhood is being inducted this year.....I am so happy for him, we go back over 20 years....the day the announced his induction I texted him....I wanted to say "damn they will let anyone in" but I couldn't, I was so friggin proud of him....i just wrote "It's about time Mr. HALL OF FAMER...dinner on me"
                      the best was when Bert Sugar was editor, oh god how I miss him, he and I became friends directly thru the hall of fame (that's the magic of the place), oh I had so many "adventures" with him, he was even crazier then you think....I miss him every day...he never used a computer or email, and he wrote me a letter just before he died, saying he was feeling better and he couldn't wait till June to see me and my brother again....it was post marked exactly 30 days before he died.....he was one of a kind...a truly special man...and I get a little sad every year since knowing he wont be there, then I remember a story or two and laugh and laugh....some time I'll tell ya some of them if you want to hear....sorry, I'm rambling on again....I always do when ot comes to the hall...

Steadmund Brand
                      Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 01-25-2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        You do owe it to yourself.....every boxing fan should attend, at least one time...
                        as for Ring Magazine....I am a subscriber, have been for 30 years......wow that makes me feel old.....I agree it's had its ups and downs.....and now it is only 10 issues a year...but most print magazines have suffered....reminds me, a great friend of mine and former ring editor Steve Farhood is being inducted this year.....I am so happy for him, we go back over 20 years....the day the announced his induction I texted him....I wanted to say "damn they will let anyone in" but I couldn't, I was so friggin proud of him....i just wrote "It's about time Mr. HALL OF FAMER...dinner on me"
                        the best was when Bert Sugar was editor, oh god how I miss him, he and I became friends directly thru the hall of fame (that's the magic of the place), oh I had so many "adventures" with him, he was even crazier then you think....I miss him every day...he never used a computer or email, and he wrote me a letter just before he died, saying he was feeling better and he couldn't wait till June to see me and my brother again....it was post marked exactly 30 days before he died.....he was one of a kind...a truly special man...and I get a little sad every year since knowing he wont be there, then I remember a story or two and laugh and laugh....some time I'll tell ya some of them if you want to hear....sorry, I'm rambling on again....I always do when ot comes to the hall...

Steadmund Brand
                        Oh man, so happy for your friend, give him my congratulations from Down Under.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

[some time I'll tell ya some of them if you want to hear....sorry, I'm rambling on again....I always do when ot comes to the hall...]

Your not rambling at all and I look forward to reading some Bert Sugar stories! It's rare to meet someone who's a true boxing fan and also takes interest in JTR.

Comment

Working...
                          X