"The Ripper" strikes again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Ripper" strikes again.

Badou Jack "The Ripper". One of the top super middleweight boxer in the world with an interesting nickname.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bado...UAgLXhDJ-2M%3A
    Last edited by dantheman; 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM.

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
    Badou Jack "The Ripper". One of the top super middleweight boxer in the world with an interesting nickname.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bado...UAgLXhDJ-2M%3A
    Watched the full replay of the Degale fight.

I really don't like Degale at all, lazy and switches off in the middle part of a fight, so hoped Jack would beat him.

Some people are screaming robbery, but personally I thought a draw was the right score.

Jack did more damage in the rounds he won, but fights aren't scored like that. Degale won 6 rounds on my count, can't remember exactly which ones but think 1,2,4, 9, 10, 11 - a few of them very tight but as always he did just enough in 'em.

I think it's a poor indictment of the state of boxing that those two are considered to be among the best at that weight. Personally think Degale is hugely over-rated.

Jack isn't a bad fighter, but hardly top class.

Comment

I thought the draw was fair but I didn't actually score the fight. I'm not impressed with the super middleweight division at all.

DeGale is tough and durable but is definitely over rated. His mic skills are hilarious though!

Last year was a terrible year in boxing but 2017 looks interesting. Frampton vs Cruz, Garcia vs Thurman, Klitchsko vs Joshua. And of course De La Hoya has promised GGG vs Canelo.

Comment

Be interested to hear Steadmund's take on it.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Be interested to hear Steadmund's take on it.
          Who's Steadmund?

-Dan

Comment

Who's Steadmund?

-Dan
            Steadmund Brand (his handle here) is a regular contributor here, he was a boxing writer now does boxing talks on the radio among other things, I'm not sure I've met many people who know more about boxing than he does.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Steadmund Brand (his hhttp://forum.casebook.org/images/icons/icon7.gifandle here) is a regular contributor here, he was a boxing writer now does boxing talks on the radio among other things, I'm not sure I've met many people who know more about boxing than he does.

Wow that's great. I don't know many people who are interested in boxing let alone the JTR case.

Comment

Wow that's great. I don't know many people who are interested in boxing let alone the JTR case.
                This bloke sure is.

There is I think also the review he did on the Baltimore JtR conference here somewhere.

He is also extremely good looking (don't worry it's an inside joke based on the fact he and I could almost pass as twins).
                G U T

Comment

Oh I am sooooo handsome it's scary!!! Just ask Mrs. GUT ��

as for the fight....i didn't want to comment until I watched it for a second time, not as a fan but as a critic....and well....I can't argue the decision, I actually scored it for Degale (by one point....but as was nicely put by Fleetwood Mac, Jack did do more damage in his winning rounds, so no problem with the judges here)....I do disagree with some posts, I think the supermiddle weight division is deep now...thia was # 1 vs #2..but there is also the Direll brothers, Ramirez out of Mexico, an old but still dangerous Arthur Abraham and George Groves, who is better then many give him credit after his big lose to Frampton (Who that night beats anyone put in front of him)...
                  Also, I thought 2016 was an ok year for boxing, some huge fights (Ward Vs. Kovalev for one) in the UK Sky sports picked up more cards, Denmark finally made pro boxing legal!!! And in the USA there was more televised boxing then ever....and Golden Boy promotions just signed a deal with ESPN and their Spanish affiliate to air quite a few more cards..so hopefully we as a sport can get more casual fans....yes for the "Pay per view" level of fights 2016 was a bit stale...but over all.the sport did itself proud, in my opinion...
                  I hope in 2017 we get to see Canelo V. GGG....and more of the much lower weights, Roman Gonzalez has proven to be a ratings grabber on HBO...so lets hope more little big men get a shot at TV, for those who know boxing, they put on the best shows!!!!
                  it was a sad year for boxing, we lost some great fighters and legends, Aaron Pryor, Kid Chocolate, Bobby Chacon, of course ALI....and others (who sadly my 6am mind is drawing a blank on now....sorry guys)...
                  So here is to hoping 2017 will be a great year for a.sport in need of them...

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Ward vs Kovalev was amazing & I think he's #1 P4P even over Chocolatito. I scored it 114-113 for Ward but there were close rounds that could have went either way. The rematch should be just as good though I see Ward making adjustments and getting a more decisive win.

I've been meaning to score the DeGale vs Jack fight but as a fan/spectator watching live I felt a draw was the right dec.

Super Middleweight has always been a dull division imo. Seems like the light heavy's are more skilled & agile.

Ali's character seemed so invincible inside & out of the ring its hard to believe a guy like that could pass away. 2017 should be a great year. Some good fight's are signed & my boyhood hero Holyfield is heading to Canastota.

-Dan
                    Last edited by dantheman; 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

And I am heading to Canastota for the 22nd year in a row!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

as for the fight....i didn't want to comment until I watched it for a second time, not as a fan but as a critic....and well....I can't argue the decision, I actually scored it for Degale (by one point....but as was nicely put by Fleetwood Mac, Jack did do more damage in his winning rounds, so no problem with the judges here)....I do disagree with some posts, I think the supermiddle weight division is deep now...thia was # 1 vs #2..but there is also the Direll brothers, Ramirez out of Mexico, an old but still dangerous Arthur Abraham and George Groves, who is better then many give him credit after his big lose to Frampton (Who that night beats anyone put in front of him)...
                        Also, I thought 2016 was an ok year for boxing, some huge fights (Ward Vs. Kovalev for one) in the UK Sky sports picked up more cards, Denmark finally made pro boxing legal!!! And in the USA there was more televised boxing then ever....and Golden Boy promotions just signed a deal with ESPN and their Spanish affiliate to air quite a few more cards..so hopefully we as a sport can get more casual fans....yes for the "Pay per view" level of fights 2016 was a bit stale...but over all.the sport did itself proud, in my opinion...
                        I hope in 2017 we get to see Canelo V. GGG....and more of the much lower weights, Roman Gonzalez has proven to be a ratings grabber on HBO...so lets hope more little big men get a shot at TV, for those who know boxing, they put on the best shows!!!!
                        it was a sad year for boxing, we lost some great fighters and legends, Aaron Pryor, Kid Chocolate, Bobby Chacon, of course ALI....and others (who sadly my 6am mind is drawing a blank on now....sorry guys)...

Steadmund Brand
                        Give Mayweather his dues, put on a good card there. That Davis looks some prospect! Although over here we've been told he's a bad lad out of the ring and it could derail his career?

As for Groves, good fighter for the first 6 rounds. Rangey, deceptively quick, good defence etc. Problem he has is that he can't take a punch and when he tires and gets caught flush then it's over. Still, I think he's better than Degale, whom he beat and would beat again. His career went a bit downhill after the Froch second fight but he's got it back together again. In that division, he has enough to be a world champion given the competition - but he's not a world class fighter in most people's perspective of what it takes to be a world class fighter. Put it this way Calzaghe would have boxed the life out of him and Benn would have destroyed him with sheer aggression.

The fight we must have is Canelo/Golovkin, but keep an eye out for Frampton/Santa Cruz - those are two very good fighters and it's a close call.

Comment

Ward vs Kovalev was amazing & I think he's #1 P4P even over Chocolatito. I scored it 114-113 for Ward but there were close rounds that could have went either way. The rematch should be just as good though I see Ward making adjustments and getting a more decisive win.

I've been meaning to score the DeGale vs Jack fight but as a fan/spectator watching live I felt a draw was the right dec.

Super Middleweight has always been a dull division imo. Seems like the light heavy's are more skilled & agile.

Ali's character seemed so invincible inside & out of the ring its hard to believe a guy like that could pass away. 2017 should be a great year. Some good fight's are signed & my boyhood hero Holyfield is heading to Canastota.

-Dan
                          I had the Ward fight a draw as well, and he's certainly not the number one pound for pound. Golovkin needs the Canelo fight to show just how good he is. Time will tell, personally I like Canelo - but have a gut feel that Golovkin's the type of person where the best bring the best out of him.

Comment

Steadmund Brand
                            Thanksmate, I was interested in your take, haven't seen the whole thing here, no coverage at all.
                            G U T

Comment

And I am heading to Canastota for the 22nd year in a row!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                              Enjoy.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X