Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Rippercast: One on one with Stephen Senise - by jmenges 34 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - by Hercule Poirot 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Scott Nelson 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - by Elamarna 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Spratling Vs Enright - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - (1 posts)
Rippercast: One on one with Stephen Senise - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 78 39.39%
NO 120 60.61%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Beaver View Post
As this was the only such type of graffiti written, he obviously didn't go about writing stuff on walls & thorough fares on his murdering days off (or on).
There were two other incidents of chalked messages reported in the press.
There was the reported message left after the Hanbury Street murder, and there was the message on the gates of the slaughter yard.
The killer could have been influenced by these reports.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Commisioner

There is always the possibility that there was no graffiti in the entranceway to 108—119 Wentworth Model Dwellings, which might explain why City of London and Metropolitan Police officers reported a combination of seven variations as to its spelling, grammar, capitalization and linage.

Regards,

Simon

Last edited by Simon Wood : 05-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
There is always the possibility that there was no graffiti in the entranceway to 108—119 Wentworth Model Dwellings, which might explain why City of London and Metropolitan Police officers reported a combination of seven variations as to its spelling, grammar, capitalization and linage.

Regards,

Simon
So there was a conspiracy among at least a number of policemen? And what would have that accomplished?

-
Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied,ex. you cannot kill,steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 05-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Cadet

Hi Jon, which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.

Secondly, I think the graffiti was put there by an activist or supporter of the Jewish/Immigrant community who felt that this group were wrongly being targeted for absolutely nothing. Even today minority groups are picked on whenever something goes wrong- Travellers for stealing/robberies/Murder and the new influx of Syrian migrants for terrorism threats. I also doubt that the graffiti was another attempt just like the hoax letter writers, to get more attention. I feel that it had been there all along and like everything to do with JRT- coincidence had brought it to the public arena.
As for the piece of apron, has it been proven that it did come from Catherine Eddowes?, as I'm sure this was also inconclusive as well, as there did not seem to be a mention of a torn apron in the Doctor's very well detailed report. BB
Old 05-17-2018, 02:07 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
As for the piece of apron, has it been proven that it did come from Catherine Eddowes?, as I'm sure this was also inconclusive as well, as there did not seem to be a mention of a torn apron in the Doctor's very well detailed report. BB
In separate reports of their inquest testimony, Doctor Brown and others confirmed that the border of the apron piece exactly matched the border of the remainder of the apron that was found still attached to the body.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Hi Jon, which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.
I`ll try and find them later today, BB.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 AM
Cadet

Unhappy

SAM: Shame the the piece of apron was not put in a bag and placed somewhere safe

JON: Thanks for that

BB
Old 05-17-2018, 03:24 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Which reports were they, as I have not heard about those before.
Here`s one of them, BB
This was reported in the Echo, 8th Sept 1888:

THE "WRITING ON THE WALL"
It is currently reported in Hanbury-street that this morning the following paragraph, written in chalk, was seen upon the wall of one of the back gardens there, and four persons distinctly stated they had actually seen the writing. The words are, "I have now done three, and intend to do nine more and give myself up, and at the same time give my reasons for doing the murders." Whether there is any truth in the matter remains to be seen.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Superintendent

and here`s the second, reported in the Echo 4th Sept 88

The murder of Mary Ann Nicholls still excites the keenest interest in Whitechapel. Some malicious persons have actually chalked a libelous statement on the gate of the slaughter-house where the three men were engaged on the night of the tragedy, one of whom gave evidence at the adjourned inquest yesterday, while the states of his two comrades--Brittain and Mumford--were reserved for the concluding hearing before Mr. Wynne Baxter, the Coroner. These three slaughter-house men are considerably annoyed at the slanderous insinuations conveyed in the expression written on the gate as stated.

Our reporter visited this slaughter-house--a block of extensive premises--this afternoon, where he was courteously shown over by a representative of the firm, who wish him to give publicity to the reiterated statements of the men as to their utter abhorrence of the crime in Buck's-row. The business carried on at the place is mainly confined to the killing of horses and boiling their flesh, which is afterwards sold to cat's-meat men. There are two descriptions of knives used in the killing and cutting-up process, one having a long tapering blade, while the other has one about five inches in length, with a strong wooden handle--a weapon, in fact, very similar to those originally employed for killing pigs.

THE SLAUGHTERMAN'S STORY.
James Mumford, one of the men engaged here, who was left in charge of the premises the night of the murder while his two comrades went out for an hour's walk, made the following statement this afternoon : "I am at work here all hours of the night, and don't go out of the premises until I am done. My time to come in of an evening is quarter-past eight o'clock. Then I am here until the governor comes down in the morning, which is sometimes six and sometimes half-past." Then Mr. Mumford, indignant, suddenly burst forth, "I don't know why that should be wrote on the gate against our chaps."

"What is written on the gate?" asked the reporter.

"Why, 'This is where the murder was done,'" exclaimed Mr. Mumford, "which is a great untruth ; and if you can put it right, as you say, I don't mind telling you what our work is."

Old 05-17-2018, 04:22 AM
Cadet

Sounds as if someone was jumping to conclusions before the facts were laid bare, or trying to cause alarm. Still happens in modern society.

Thanks for that Jon.

BB