my views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,

'Boss' is the equivalent of Mr. or Ms. I don't see how it is an American term but I guess it is. So yes, I think it is informal.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey
      If you wanted to, you could at least try a connection to the GSG as the spelling in the 'Dear Boss' letter and the GSG is pretty consistent.
      There is also a suspect to look into, James Kelly (dont mind me giving the trade name), a few minutes googling finds that 'Ripping out' is an upholstery term and James Tully shows a picture of a ripping chisel in his book 'The secret of prisoner 1167'
      I'm still puzzling over the 'From Hell' letter.With aplogies to Gertrude Stein,'a kidney is a kidney is a kidney'
      Except when it isn't, I have found a reference that states that kidney was slang for alike or resemblant, i.e similair, and in the case of the double murder temptingly significant.
      There are all sorts of meanings to kidney in the Bible and the Torah, there is another thread started asking if Jack may have been a catholic, and of course Aaron Kominski was a jew, no evidence that he was particularly obsessed with religion but you never know, he may have been, I think there is a similarity between some of his behaviour and the most severe of the Rabbinic punishments called the 'Cherem' or 'Herem', so he may have been trying to atone in his own strange way.
      My favourite theory however is typically 'out there' I wonder if it was one of Jacks 'funny little games' given that Elizabeth Strides fellow was called Kidney!
      all the best martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

Indeed. Hmm... James Kelly? We don't know if he was in Whitechapel during the murders. He was too busy stabbing his wife with the penknife.

Kindey was a Kidney was a kidne.

Yours truly
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
        X