No announcement yet.

Casebook Examiner No. 1 (April 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You lot sound like a bunch of thugs who have just beaten some innocent up and are trying to explain it to the police, oh shite he didn't agree wiv me that ya can't get steak and chips on social less ya got ticket... and then he murdered me and cut me heart out, but le grand did it, all I wanted was chips.
    Shame on ya.
    Your posts are crap, I'd like to see some good posts on this subject.

Comment

I'm feeling proud right now that AP Wolf actually read my essay...Mr. I Never Read Ripper Journals couldn't even stay away from the Examiner. Thanks for the comments, AP.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

You are welcome, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
          You lot sound like a bunch of thugs who have just beaten some innocent up and are trying to explain it to the police, oh shite he didn't agree wiv me that ya can't get steak and chips on social less ya got ticket... and then he murdered me and cut me heart out, but le grand did it, all I wanted was chips.
          Shame on ya.
          Your posts are crap, I'd like to see some good posts on this subject.
          Must be a good bottle AP.

Cos thats the lamest post Ive ever read.....you must be mullered.

Come out with the big 'I am' and got yer ass chewed.

Wait till the room stops spinning before you post.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Time of Night

I think that the time of night has something to do with the quality of certain posts.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

This is more fun than the election programmes on late night TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
                This is more fun than the election programmes on late night TV.
                I think it has a higher volume of sad and unnecessary drama. So much for common goals and interests.
                "The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice." - Quellcrist Falconer
                "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" - Johannes Clauberg

Comment

Have just finished looking through the first issue, and am very impressed. Tom - suffice to say that I enjoyed your article, and will provide some further comments on it in conjunction with the Ripperologist issue when it eventually appears.

I have this terrible (sometimes useful) habit of noticing minor things, so did pick up on a few glitches here and there, but it would be harsh to criticise these on the first attempt when things are still getting ironed out. Overall though, very good. Congrats to Don and the team for putting it together - it only seems like yesterday that he first mentioned he was planning to release a new magazine.

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Hi all:

This might be a good time to thank everyone for all their nice comments. It was a slog at times but worth every bit of work that went into it and could not have been done without the efforts of many, especially those of Jen Shelden and Dave Pegg.

The turn the thread has taken is rather coincidental, but we can announce that Issue 2 of Casebook Examiner will feature, among many fine articles, an examination of the elusive LeGrand by Tom Wescott. Look for it on June 15. But remember, you will have to be a subscriber by then.

Finally, we welcome contributions and if you have an article idea write us at examiner@casebook.org and we will gladly discuss it and send you a copy of our short style sheet.

Don Souden.
                    Editor, Casebook Examiner
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi Don,

Just curious, but what is a "short style sheet"?

Rgds
                      John

Comment

John,

Short style sheet?

A style sheet is a publication's guide for writers and editors on all manner of things, from how it handles times (e.g. 3pm, 3 pm, 3 p.m., etc.) to its footnoting standards and everything in between. Ours is short, just a little more than one page.

Don.
                        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hard Work

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                          Hi all:
                          This might be a good time to thank everyone for all their nice comments. It was a slog at times but worth every bit of work that went into it and could not have been done without the efforts of many, especially those of Jen Shelden and Dave Pegg.
                          The turn the thread has taken is rather coincidental, but we can announce that Issue 2 of Casebook Examiner will feature, among many fine articles, an examination of the elusive LeGrand by Tom Wescott. Look for it on June 15. But remember, you will have to be a subscriber by then.
                          Finally, we welcome contributions and if you have an article idea write us at examiner@casebook.org and we will gladly discuss it and send you a copy of our short style sheet.
                          Don Souden.
                          Editor, Casebook Examiner
                          Don, the hard work you have all done shows, and the Examiner is in good hands.
                          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

The only complaint I have about the e-zine is that there was only part 1 of the Andrews article. Good thinking guys. Just like those 1930s serials. Make us beg for more. Bastards!

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

Hi,

Any plans to review the recent Sherlock Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper video game in the Examiner. It was a little daft and in some parts hilarious, but still very enjoyable and I particularly enjoyed the reconstructions of the crime scenes and interactions. Egad Holmes!
                              "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

I have to agree with Stewart's comments on this. I am very much enjoying the new addition to 'Ripper-literature' and hats off to all the folks involved in its production.

I have to disagree with an earlier post, that the field is saturated with this sort of thing. It's a field we all have an interest in and anybody with the balls to publish on the subject in this way (essentially a magazine format) should have our support. Personally I enjoy all the Ripper publications I've subscribed to (and written for). It's hardly the bulging home-computing shelf at WH Smith's is it? Get it where you can and enjoy it, that's what I say.

Again, a great start.

JB

Comment

Working...
                                X