No announcement yet.

Casebook Examiner No. 1 (April 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks for the excellent mag! Very honoured to receive it for free, especially considering how many paid-for magazines are total dreck. I will be putting my finger down my throat and coughing up some cash for future issues though. Outstanding work!

Dean
    "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
      The content and quality of the articles in this issue reinforce what I have claimed for some time now. This is a field of research in which there cannot be any single leading expert or authority.

It is patently obvious that we have many experts (if you choose to use that word) on different aspects of Ripperological research. This is all to the greater good as new information on various characters, incidents and locations continues to be found and published. The subject can now be accommodated only on a medium such as the Internet as books are outdated as soon as they are published. The fast-moving cutting edge of Ripper research is graphically shown in The Casebook Examiner.

I am not saying that books are totally out of date, but certainly there is less scope for factual works of reference.
      You're aboslutely right Stewart. With this subject at least it's very difficult to consider any factual work definitive as the 'facts' in the case and certainly the opinions seem to be in a constant state of flux. Saying that I'm sorely tempted to go into my local bookshop, remove all Ripper books (except for yours obviously) from the True Crime section, hide them somewhere (like under a stool or a child), then leave a note on the shelf saying 'Please refer to www.casebook.org.'

Dean
      "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
        Animated mannikins? Less said the better!
        The man with the green face says "I bid you welcome to my dungeon..."! Cue spooky music.

Comment

Steady On

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          The man with the green face says "I bid you welcome to my dungeon..."! Cue spooky music.
          Steady on John, you'll upset him, he's the shy retiring type.
          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

He certainly gets about Stewart....

....here he is doing his Friday big shop.
            Attached Files
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hello you all!

Just had a quick read!

Looks interesting, but gotta find time to read more properly!

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

It looks like Monty feels the debut issue of Casebook Examiner is just what the doctor ordered, while Stewart sees it as a chef's blend of top notch material. So it's unanimous!

Regarding Stewart's observation that Ripper books are outdated, I might be inclined to agree if it weren't for the fact that readers feel differently. New students to the case, and many old ones, will buy numerous books this year at $20 or more each before they even consider subscribing to Casebook Examiner or Ripperologist, even though the magazines offer far more information at a much better price. This was true even when the journals were all print. I think it's because people see books as 'expert works' and journals as the realm of the amateur. At some point perhaps that perspective will change, but it doesn't seem to as of yet.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Wolf. Any chance we'll see a new controversial write-up by you in an upcoming Examiner? Yours truly,
                  Tom Wescott
                  No. But on the other hand I am in the (extremely slow) process of re-editing all my past articles and will offer them to the Dissertation Section of the Casebook. This includes my latest, unpublished, article which I already gave to Stephen some months ago. I also have a long list of articles to be written so, time (and Carrie Brown book writing) permitting, I'll get around to those as well.

Wolf.

Comment

Hi Wolf, can't wait to read 'em.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Stewart

Your views on the declining importance of books as against the cutting edge of the internet reminds me a little of someone whose intials are A, P, W.

Comment

Well thank you, Robert, for a resolute post in the face of this sudden love fest.
                        I have risen from the dead just to say that Tom Westcott must have been so damned pissed at me for suggesting - many weeks before him on the boards -that it was Le Grand who took Kidney to the police station in a cab.
                        Just like Palmer, whom I scooped on his great new information about Tumblety, I got there before you bunch of cowboys.
                        I ride the range, you boys get to clean the ovens.

Comment

The Jersey lip returns.

Thought you left for good AP? Went running after you were proven as a liar.

Welcome back Sweetie.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hello Neil,

That "Sweetie"... is that a "Leicestershire" thing too?..

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by AP Wolf
                              have risen from the dead just to say that Tom Westcott must have been so damned pissed at me for suggesting - many weeks before him on the boards -that it was Le Grand who took Kidney to the police station in a cab.
                              I hope nobody believes this is actually true.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                                I hope nobody believes this is actually true.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                Don"t be frightened, chaps.Everything will be ok --ie -so long as you dont make too many bad jokes that only you find funny .

Comment

Working...
                                X