The Murder of Annie Chapman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Murder of Annie Chapman

Lets see if we can gain some foothold in this search by gaining universal acceptance of at least one point.

I contend that the quintessential murder of the killer who has come to be known by a pen name was that of Annie Chapmans. In that murder we are given lots of physical evidence, and some circumstantial evidence. Within that data are the Method of Operations and Signatures that we will need to evaluate later murders for a killer.

Are any of those attributes present in the next murder attributed to Jack? No.
    Does Annies murder and dissection reveal anything about the most probable Motive?
    That he posed as a client, that he subdued before cutting the throat, that he cut twice, that his next objective was the opening of the abdomen, and when the organs sought were excised, the cutting stopped.

Sound like Liz's murder? Or Kates? Or Marys?

How about Pollys?
    Michael Richards

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    Lets see if we can gain some foothold in this search by gaining universal acceptance of at least one point.

I contend that the quintessential murder of the killer who has come to be known by a pen name was that of Annie Chapmans. In that murder we are given lots of physical evidence, and some circumstantial evidence. Within that data are the Method of Operations and Signatures that we will need to evaluate later murders for a killer.

Are any of those attributes present in the next murder attributed to Jack? No.
    Does Annies murder and dissection reveal anything about the most probable Motive?
    That he posed as a client, that he subdued before cutting the throat, that he cut twice, that his next objective was the opening of the abdomen, and when the organs sought were excised, the cutting stopped.

Sound like Liz's murder? Or Kates? Or Marys?

How about Pollys?
    He also used robbery to take at least one ring from Annie's finger.

And yes in one regard it does sound like Polly's and Kelly's murders. And that is the idea that he posed as client

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth1888 View Post
      He also used robbery to take at least one ring from Annie's finger.

And yes in one regard it does sound like Polly's and Kelly's murders. And that is the idea that he posed as client
      Hi Sleuth,

Well, in Pollys case I would certainly agree. I believe she is the introduction to this particular killer, and based on what he learned performing his tricks in the street itself, he modifies his approach to better facilitate extra time after the throat cut to do some pm excising. These 2 murders, to me, have no issues when marrying to one killer.

Its after those 2 that doubt comes into play.
      Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Sleuth,

Well, in Pollys case I would certainly agree. I believe she is the introduction to this particular killer, and based on what he learned performing his tricks in the street itself, he modifies his approach to better facilitate extra time after the throat cut to do some pm excising. These 2 murders, to me, have no issues when marrying to one killer.

Its after those 2 that doubt comes into play.
        So you're fine linking Nichols and Kelly (when Nichols was less extensively mutilated) but you have a hard time attributing Chapman and Eddowes to the same killer when Eddowes' injuries were more extensive and more similar to Chapman's than Nichols?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth1888 View Post
          So you're fine linking Nichols and Kelly (when Nichols was less extensively mutilated) but you have a hard time attributing Chapman and Eddowes to the same killer when Eddowes' injuries were more extensive and more similar to Chapman's than Nichols?
          Perhaps I was unclear. I have no issues marrying Polly and Annie with the same killer for many reasons, particularly the MO, Signatures and Victimology.

Catherine Eddowes was killed in much the same manner, but with appreciably less skill than was demonstrated in Hanbury. plus she has injuries we can call superfluous, where Annies wounds seem focused on the objective achieved. Mary Kelly is another matter altogether, we have no evidence that she was soliciting when she met her killer...we do with both Polly and Annie from their own mouths, we know she is indoors and undressed when she is attacked, we know she is a bout half the age of any other Canonical, and we can see many actions taken in that room that relate to no previous attack. Plus the same organ that was taken twice before Mary is left under her head.

Annies murder fits very naturally with Pollys in that exact sequence and timeframe. Liz fits with many, many violent acts in The East End and none of the other Canonicals, and Kate fits in part with the first 2 victims. Anyone who assumes he just went further in room 13 must also provide some evidence that there are signs that was intended or desired prior to Mary.

I don't see any interruptions to prevent any further acts after perhaps Polly.

My list is 2, perhaps 3 by the Jack fellow...although I'm more comfortable saying just 2.
          Michael Richards

Comment

Mary Kelly is another matter altogether, we have no evidence that she was soliciting when she met her killer...
            She was a known prostitute. She was drinking in a pub prior to her murder. A male acquaintance said she "asked" him for money and later says he saw her approached by a male that she then went walking toward her room with. She was killed on her bed and was nearly naked. Other than video footage or a signed statement saying "I was soliciting", I'm not sure what other evidence one could expect to prove that she was soliciting.

As for the suggestion of more than one killer...

All C5 were killed silently and appeared to have not put up a struggle.
            All C5 had their throats cut
            All C5 were lying down, seemingly on their left sides (except Kelly) when their throats were cut, indicating that they were incapacitated first and then put down on the ground
            All (but Stride) had their abdomens opened. 2, 4, and 5 were disembowelled.
            Chapmen had more organs removed than Nichols- Eddowes had more organs removed than Chapman- Kelly had more organs removed than Eddowes. This all indicates a progression.
            Victims 4 and 5 had extensive facial mutilations, and 5's were worse 4's. This also indicates a progression.
            Victim 5 had the disembowellment, organ removal, facial mutilation. And then progressed on to breast removal and limb denudement.

All that considered, I think you'd need some very hard evidence to suggest that 2 nearly identical killers were operating within a square mile of each other at the same time

Comment

Perhaps I was unclear. I have no issues marrying Polly and Annie with the same killer for many reasons, particularly the MO, Signatures and Victimology.

Catherine Eddowes was killed in much the same manner, but with appreciably less skill than was demonstrated in Hanbury. plus she has injuries we can call superfluous, where Annies wounds seem focused on the objective achieved. Mary Kelly is another matter altogether, we have no evidence that she was soliciting when she met her killer...we do with both Polly and Annie from their own mouths, we know she is indoors and undressed when she is attacked, we know she is a bout half the age of any other Canonical, and we can see many actions taken in that room that relate to no previous attack. Plus the same organ that was taken twice before Mary is left under her head.

Annies murder fits very naturally with Pollys in that exact sequence and timeframe. Liz fits with many, many violent acts in The East End and none of the other Canonicals, and Kate fits in part with the first 2 victims. Anyone who assumes he just went further in room 13 must also provide some evidence that there are signs that was intended or desired prior to Mary.

I don't see any interruptions to prevent any further acts after perhaps Polly.

My list is 2, perhaps 3 by the Jack fellow...although I'm more comfortable saying just 2.
              Sorry Michael I disagree with your comparison of Chapman and Eddowes, the degree of skill shown is a subjective opinion of a Doctor in 1888.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                Sorry Michael I disagree with your comparison of Chapman and Eddowes, the degree of skill shown is a subjective opinion of a Doctor in 1888.
                An opinion, moreover, which has become clouded by a journalist in The Lancet who penned memorable soundbites ("obviously the work was that of an expert" who "secured the pelvic organs with one sweep of the knife") which have been dubiously attributed to Dr Phillips ever since.

I see about the same level of skill, or lack thereof, in both the Chapman and Eddowes murders. Chapman had her uterus removed below the cervix, but her bladder was divided 66:33; Eddowes' uterus was removed above the cervix, but at least the killer managed to leave her bladder intact. Both women had cuts to the colon. Personally, I'd call it a draw.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  An opinion, moreover, which has become clouded by a journalist in The Lancet who penned memorable soundbites ("obviously the work was that of an expert" who "secured the pelvic organs with one sweep of the knife") which have been dubiously attributed to Dr Phillips ever since.

I see about the same level of skill, or lack thereof, in both the Chapman and Eddowes murders. Chapman had her uterus removed below the cervix, but her bladder was divided 66:33; Eddowes' uterus was removed above the cervix, but at least the killer managed to leave her bladder intact. Both women had cuts to the colon. Personally, I'd call it a draw.
                  And of course one needs to take probably differing lighting levels into account.
                  Although the first Doctor on site said lighting was sufficient to work, it was probably darker than in Hanbury street which ever TOD you use!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Pontius2000 View Post
                    She was a known prostitute. She was drinking in a pub prior to her murder. A male acquaintance said she "asked" him for money and later says he saw her approached by a male that she then went walking toward her room with. She was killed on her bed and was nearly naked. Other than video footage or a signed statement saying "I was soliciting", I'm not sure what other evidence one could expect to prove that she was soliciting.

She was also over 2 weeks in arrears because she hadn't been working, and Joes influence had something to do with that. Using an unsubstantiated story given 4 days after her murder is one thing, assuming its accurate without any corroborative evidence at all, or that he had spoken with her ever, is risky business. In the case of Polly and Annie, as I said, we have their own admission as to what they were doing out on those respective nights. We know Mary came home drunk at 11:45 pm Thursday, and was found 11 hours later,mutilated in bed. That's the storyline that has substance.

All C5 were killed silently and appeared to have not put up a struggle.
                    Mary had defensive wounds on her hands and arms, Liz may have been cut while falling.

All C5 had their throats cut
                    Only a few had it cut twice.

All C5 were lying down, seemingly on their left sides (except Kelly) when their throats were cut, indicating that they were incapacitated first and then put down on the ground.
                    I already addressed Liz, and Polly, Annie and Kate were on their backs with legs splayed open.

All (but Stride) had their abdomens opened. 2, 4, and 5 were disembowelled.
                    Annies killer opened her abdomen in order to access the organs that were taken, in the words of the autopsy physician. And #5 was taken apart, not "entered" by knife.

Chapmen had more organs removed than Nichols- Eddowes had more organs removed than Chapman- Kelly had more organs removed than Eddowes. This all indicates a progression.
                    No, this indicates lesser and then more grievous injuries, the so called "progression" is an argument, not a fact.

Victims 4 and 5 had extensive facial mutilations, and 5's were worse 4's. This also indicates a progression.
                    And this is the same killer who had mutilated none of the previous faces or made any large volumes of cuts that had no objective other than to disfigure? So, why do you imagine he decided he no longer had objectives beyond cutting and placing organs?

Victim 5 had the disembowellment, organ removal, facial mutilation. And then progressed on to breast removal and limb denudement.
                    As I said, Mary was taken apart. Annie was murdered and then had some abdominal organs removed. Its like comparing a summer breeze with a tropical storm.

All that considered, I think you'd need some very hard evidence to suggest that 2 nearly identical killers were operating within a square mile of each other at the same time
                    Never have suggested that there were 2 nearly identical killers working the same streets at the same time. I have suggested that what was done to the women was not always motivated by post mortem mutilation desires...as Pollys and Annies were.

And within the Canonical 5 alone, there are murders that are fundamentally unlike the others.
                    Its not about matching victims by what was done, its how it was done and why it was done.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Cheers

Steve
                      You mean you disagree with the opinion of the physician who saw more victims in death than any other, not me Steve. Its well documented that Phillips didn't see the same hand at work with Liz, and had some issues with Kate.
                      Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

How about a cut that traces around a navel...see any crude cutting like that with Annie Sam? How about a nose cut that may have accidentally nicked her cheeks? How about a section of severed colon that likely left his hands smeared with feces? And what about the purpose of these cuts...see any useless acts in the Chapman murder.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Its not about matching victims by what was done, its how it was done and why it was done.
                          And why was it done?

Comment

How about a cut that traces around a navel...see any crude cutting like that with Annie Sam?
                            "Dr. Phillips ... said the abdominal wall had been removed in three parts - two from the anterior part. There was a greater portion of skin removed on the right side than on the left. On adjusting these three flaps it was evident that a portion surrounding and constituting the navel was wanting. The womb itself and two thirds of the bladder were absent from the body and could nowhere be traced. It was apparent that these absent portions, together with the division of the large intestine, were the result of the same incising cut" Morning Advertiser, 20th September 1888

In other words, crude and messy. With the added bonus that the flesh surrounding the navel had been carved out by a single incision, and that the colon had been accidentally cut.
                            How about a nose cut that may have accidentally nicked her cheeks?
                            It either didn't occur to him, or he simply didn't get round to mutilating Annie's face. Who knows what might have happened if he had?
                            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 10-12-2017, 12:36 PM.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Don't know where you figure that a poor tenant's "influence" would have anything to do with someone being in arrears. I have personal experience with slumlords and poor tenants and it's nothing unusual for tenants to be many months in arrears. And that's in a city the size of Myrtle Beach. Can't imagine how much more common it would be in the largest city in the world.

So you agree with Bagster Phillips opinion at face value, but not Abberline's? Because Abberline believed Hutchinson. But be that as it may, Kelly was a known prostitute, was out drinking, up in the wee hours, found nearly nude. And Barnett had also apparently apologized to her that he had no money. So that's 2 independent witnesses saying she needed money. So I see no reason to believe she wasn't soliciting.

Whether Kelly's hand wounds were defensive or not is complete speculation. But of all the C5, she would be the most likely to have defensive wounds since the doctors generally agreed the other 4 were choked from behind and laid down before having the throats cut. Kelly was already lying down, probably conscious, so she may well have struggled. This doesn't indicate a different killer, it simply indicates different circumstances (i.e., she wasn't standing up when the attack began)

What info do you have that Chapman and Eddowes were on their backs when their throats were cut? If this were so, the blood would likely have fished all over the killer as well as the victims fronts. IIRC, Chapman's face was not covered with blood, and Eddowes only from the facial wounds. All indications are that they were both killed on or towards their left sides, just like Nichols and Stride.

Nichols was cut under the breast bone on one side down to the pelvis, around, and back up the other side. This indicates his intent was to open up her abdomen completely. Chapman was disembowelled and uterus removed, so this was not a small wound, or even a 1 foot wound. It would take a large wound to access both the intestines and the uterus. Eddowes was opened by a very large wound, evidenced by the photos and the description that she was completely laid open. And likewise, Kelly was completely laid open, with the abdominal walls completely removed in panels.

As for the facial wounds and other things like breast removal, denudement, etc, it's very well documented that serial killers' crimes will sometimes change slightly as their sick fantasies change. Read the books by former FBI agent Robert Ressler for examples of this. You seem to be under the impression that all murders by one killer will be carbon copies of each other. That's simply not the case. But all of the C5 certainly do share enough similarities with each other to suggest they were all killed by the same person. Do you not think Chapman, or any of the others, would have been "taken apart" if he'd had the same level of privacy that he'd had with Kelly?

Sorry, but there are no murders within the C5 that are "fundamentally unlike" the others. For that matter, in the scope of serial killers, it could be argued that several of the non-canonicals such as Smith, Tabram, and McKenzie would also not be "fundamentally unlike" the C5

Comment

Working...
                              X