Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 45 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Herlock Sholmes 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (32 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (17 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A 20th Century Word Processor - (11 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - (10 posts)
Visual Media: Upcoming TV series based on "The Alienist" - (1 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
" The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing "
How's this for a little journo rebuttal " Who sent the fright letter , Blame new tabloid man , He No Ju "
moonbegger .
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Default I hope you won't hold it against me, but...

I liked the documentary. As far as showing how "new" journalism functioned and keeps functioning to keep JtR news, it was excellent.
MacKenzie made no pretext of hiding what he was and seemed to be quite clear to state how little we should rely on the newspaper for the facts. It was also excellent in making certain the audience knew HOW journalists got their information and from whom.

Last edited by crberger : 08-25-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Chief Inspector

Like I said before how hard would it have been for the author of this letter to enclose some thing like a piece of victims clothing to make sure it was genuine after all why write any letter at all if it is not for the publicity.Also why not stick it in the post addressed to a well know news paper like the Times the simply adress of "the Times newspaper London " would have got it there also who would have known about news agency except for some one in the trade like a journalist.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Chief Inspector

I would love this letter to be genuine because we then have the killers hand writing but in reality no I don't think it is I will concede who ever wrote the letter came up with a cracking name for the killer ten out of ten for that
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crberger View Post
I liked the documentary. As far as showing how "new" journalism functioned and keeps functioning to keep JtR news, it was excellent.
MacKenzie made no pretext of hiding what he was and seemed to be quite clear to state how little we should rely on the newspaper for the facts. It was also excellent in making certain the audience knew HOW journalists got their information and from whom.
The role of the press throughout these murders has always been an interest of mine. So this video was not a surprise content wise. We do need to pay more attention to what we read in newspapers of the day, not just accept what they report, but neither dismiss the reports out of hand.

When the press are constantly complaining that the police will tell them nothing, then to believe an article which occasionally appears carefully worded to give the impression the paper has gained some inside knowledge, is foolish.
These articles are always vague, never sourced, and actually don't tell the reader much at all.

On the other hand, witness statements given to the press may be taken more seriously than, by comparison, any purported 'official inside knowledge' mentioned above. Although a degree of embellishment in any witness statement may be expected, but the whole thing is less likely to have been invented.

Then the real treasure within the pages of these newspapers are the comments and observations concerning the every-day life and surroundings of these inhabitants of Whitechapel. Including descriptions of the murder scene's, the backstreets, the atmosphere and personalities of the locals doss-house dwellers.

So it really depends on what articles are being read as to whether it is advisable to take the report with a pinch of salt, regard it as trustworthy, or is it somewhere in between.
And this especially applies to The Star. - caveat emptor!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Sergeant

OK , I think everybody has completely misread real topic of this thread !
We know that it is commonly regarded that the press were indeed responsible for "Boss" letter ..
My question was , and still is , could they have also be responsible for the Goulston street debacle ???

So , what if the press battle which was already raging out of control became more of a hands on fight , in regards to creating their own story's ..
for example a piece of Eddows apron was either found, or removed from Mitre square or the morgue ( where her cloths lay in a pile ) by a journalist wishing to raise the steaks .. and once in a fairly secluded spot ( Goulston st ) removed his chalk from his pocket and in a "round schoolboy hand" proceeded to raise them steaks a little higher still .

The GSG itself " The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing "
How's this for a little journo rebuttal " Who sent the fright letter , Blame new tabloid man , He No Ju "

moonbegger
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Sergeant

Hello crberger ,

Quote:
I hope you won't hold it against me, but...
Never apologize or be fearful of stepping out from the Herd , to voice your own opinion

moonbegger .
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Default Back on Topic

I see no reason why the press couldn't have gone in for a bit of graffiti.
So if we track that idea, who would be most likely, the Gazette or theStar; who profited the most from the graffiti and who got the story out first; personally, I am going with the Gazette, if they could stoop so low to send letters, why not the GSG?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Sergeant

Has this report somehow been overlooked ?

Quote:
The following is the official description of the body and clothing:

Age about 40, length five feet, dark auburn hair, hazel eyes. Dress - black jacket with imitation fur collar, three large metal buttons, brown boddice, dark green chintz (with Michaelmas daisy and Gordon lily pattern), skirt (three flounces), thin white vest, light drab linsey underskirt, dark green alpaca petticoat, white chemise, brown ribbed stockings, mended at feet with piece of white stocking, black straw bonnet trimmed with black beads and green and black velvet, large white handkerchief round neck, a pair of men's old laced boots, and a piece of coarse white apron.
Is this the same piece of coarse white apron that was later discovered in Goulston street ? Not a torn or ripped white apron , but just a piece of white apron Was it picked up by a journo at the morgue , looking to chalk his ego into the ripper folklore ?

cheers

moonbegger
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbegger View Post
Has this report somehow been overlooked ?

Is this the same piece of coarse white apron that was later discovered in Goulston street ? Not a torn or ripped white apron , but just a piece of white apron Was it picked up by a journo at the morgue , looking to chalk his ego into the ripper folklore ?

cheers

moonbegger
Someone may have been able to help you, if, you had provided a source (always advisable).

The official list of Eddowes belongings as attached to her original Inquest record lists:
1 piece of white coarse linen.
1 piece of old white apron.

Do I assume you are talking about the latter?

Given that her apron was divided in two, and the rest of the list of belongings came directly from her body, then we might assume this piece of old white apron is the other half which was still attached to her corpse.
This was City property.
The Goulston st. piece 'may' have been kept by the Met. police.