X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article w/ Photos & Book About "Britain's Child Slaves"

Hi Jason.

I think that little boy might be selling matchboxes. And yes, it's very Dickensian. When I see photos like this I always wonder what became of the children when they grew up? Though I suppose I should say, if they grew up.

This article about the abuse of Child Workers in Industrial Britain. It has photos.

Here's the book title: 'Childhood And Child Labour In The British Industrial Revolution' by Professor Jane Humphries

Best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

• A few new ones from me

Was in the east end last weekend with a few friends, and as I've not posted on here for a while (been busy with Conference graphics etc), thought I'd share a few pics.

The site of Dutfield's Yard at sunset.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	663999

Reflection of St. Botolph's Aldgate.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	664000

The view of Mitre Square from the site of the old Kearley & Tonge building.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	664001

Just off Brick Lane, one of the lamps in the old Truman's Brewery complex.

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	664002

Maybrick woz 'ere? Hanbury Street, just west of the site of number 29.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	664003

All the best
      Andrew

Comment

• A few more from the other weekend...

The site of Dutfields Yard, roughly where the disabled parking bay is today.

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	664006

The flags are out in Mitre Square...

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	664007

Parliament Court

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	664008

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

• Very fine photographs as usual, Andrew. Thanks for sharing them with us.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• You're welcome Chris!

Hopefully I'll have some more to post before long.

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• Very fine photographs as usual, Andrew. Thanks for sharing them with us.
              Ditto Andrew

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• Today I have been supervising the removal of the carriageway wearing course in Back Church Lane, a few metres south of Pinchin Street.

We planed off the top 40mm of asphalt, as you can see leaving a grooved surface ready for the new asphalt to be laid back over it. That's Cable Street the other side of the railway bridge.

In these pictures below you can see what at first appears to be just a normal planed surface, we nearly missed the old manhole cover that had been tarmaced over when this carriageway was still a granite sett road. I took pictures walking towards it and you see it slowly appear.

Comment

• Continued
                  We removed the cover and replaced it as it was fractured. This is the manhole with the frame and cover removed. It was a deep sewer and there was a rat bait shelf at the bottom, so whoever was laying the bait must have walked along the sewer as the cover was unusable.

There was also a sewer vent buried, which we removed and reset so it can now actually function as a vent again.

Comment

• Hi Yen, thanks for posting those photos.

It's interesting to see the layers of history being peeled back, like the skin of an onion.

Best regards,
                    Archaic

Comment

• Sorry if these have been shown before but I didn't see them on this site anywhere. They are drawings from The Pittsburgh Dispatch November 1890

Cheers
                      DRoy
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                        Sorry if these have been shown before but I didn't see them on this site anywhere. They are drawings from The Pittsburgh Dispatch November 1890

Cheers
                        DRoy
                        These are really great, obviously all by the same hand.

The George Yard one seems more likely the front of the passage from Hanbury St.

Comment

• Originally posted by DGB View Post
                          These are really great, obviously all by the same hand.

The George Yard one seems more likely the front of the passage from Hanbury St.
                          Hi DGB,

What I'm curious about is how the artist was able to draw these locations. If he is a Pittsburgh artist then how could he draw them? Was he stationed in London so able to view the sites or are they perhaps copied from photos or other drawings?

DRoy

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                            What I'm curious about is how the artist was able to draw these locations. If he is a Pittsburgh artist then how could he draw them? Was he stationed in London so able to view the sites or are they perhaps copied from photos or other drawings?
                            Hi DRoy. Since no one has answered your question, I'll try to.

These particular illustrations were done in 1890, so the Pittsburgh artist could have had access to all sorts of 1888 newspapers with Ripper-related illustrations. He could simply have produced his own versions of them for the Pittsburgh readers, as "illustrated news" was all the rage.

Best regards,
                            Archaic

PS: Welcome to Casebook!

Comment

• Took some pics in the mid 80's
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Another mid 80's pic. This one is Bucks Row (Durward st ) spot where Polly lay .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X