The Cardiff Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cardiff Job

Announcing THE CARDIFF JOB, which we - myself, Ali Bevan and Jon Rees - are planning to hold, in Cardiff evidently enough, on any of the first 3 weekends in July (either Saturday 2nd, 9th or 16th, or Sunday 3rd, 10th or 17th). This will be a one-day 'event', and - as the name implies - will be taken a large slab of inspiration from the established tradition of 'the London Job'. It is, definitively, NOT a Conference, and is not intended to compete with either. Being in July we feel this difference is clear enough; it could also, of course, act as a nice opener to the conference 'season' for those attending one or both events in the autumn, alternatively (and in addition) it will hopefully simply be an enjoyable and interesting day out for all concerned. We certainly hope so.

The itinerary is at the moment still fairly fluid, as we are unable to confirm venue, etc until we have a firm date. However we can say that it is planned to include a loosely 'guided' walk around the city (a new location, at least 'Ripper' wise, to many, I would imagine), hopefully a catered lunch, and then an afternoon of various 'Ripper' related activities, before a more social evening of, amongst other planned activities, drinking, karaoke, a possible quiz...oh, and drinking - did I mention that? We are also planning a VERY SPECIAL themed event for the end of the day...but you will have to wait a little longer for details of that...

We are also unable to confirm anything about any potential price at present for the same reasons, although this would only be to cover the price of food (or, although hopefully not, venue hire), and hopefully we will be able to avoid this. We would definitely look to keep it under £10 a head, just to give an idea. Partners, friends and random tramps befriended in doorways would be more than welcome to come along for the evening if they didn't want to do the full day, and of course there would be no price to pay for that. It is a shame to talk about money at all - after all the London Job is 100% gratis, but for obvious reasons there is less scope for a full day's wandering around Cardiff than there is in the 'Ripper' heartland, and so in order to offer a full day of activity which would make it worthwhile for people to attend, we need to look at other options.

To that end, we currently need to guage interest and get an idea of which date would suit people best.

So...if anyone who thinks they may be interested would be good enough to let us know of your interest, and also which dates would be better for you.

Any queries (or requests!) either PM me on here or email me at allthatyouvedone@mail.com

Yours,

Trevor Bond.

ooo

cardiff is near enough for me to get to. Not sure about dates as don't get our work rotas so go ahead with whatever date others are happy with and if I can make it I certainly will.

Jen x
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
      cardiff is near enough for me to get to. Not sure about dates as don't get our work rotas so go ahead with whatever date others are happy with and if I can make it I certainly will.

Jen x
      Excellent Jen, and thanks for the early and encouraging reply!

Comment

looking forward to...

Originally posted by tnb View Post
        Excellent Jen, and thanks for the early and encouraging reply!

meeting you. Sign me up for the karaoke, but please advise everyone to bring a set of ear plugs!

Jen x
        babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

whooooooo a Wales section of Ripper meet-ups.

And who says devolution doesnt work

Comment

Hello Trevor,

I will see what I can do.. depends on when I'm able to travel this summer. Hope I can get there though. Love Cardiff :-) Great idea

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Bump.

Am looking forward to meeting some new people! If anyone else wants to register an interest, could you contact Trevor or post here?
              Thanks
              http://www.taraforum.com/

Comment

Definitely keen if I'm around when it happens
                best,

claire

Comment

Many thanks for the interest Claire, Phil and Nathen - fingers crossed you can all make it, I think this might shape up to be pretty good!

Okay...drumroll please...

Okay, everybody - provisionally the date for the Cardiff Job is SATURDAY 16TH JULY!

We will be putting together a local info (hotels etc) pack this weekend. Send me your email if you would like a copy. Further details will follow once we can confirm the venue, which should be soon now.

For that reason we really do need to know asap if p...eople have serious problems with this date, and we will see what we can do. Please note that (in Wales at least) this is the first weekend of the school summer hols.

Any problems, queries etc as ever email or PM me. Thanks again all for the interest.

Comment

Hotel details, etc coming soon - sorry for the delay, but am awaiting responses from possible venues in 2 different areas of Cardiff, and decided to wait until I can tailor the info to the area in which the event will mostly be. Hope that makes sense, and watch this space.

Comment

The graphic for the Cardiff Job. Looks like a beer, therefore, there shall be beer.

I would expect....

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Cardiff Job copy reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	661879

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

Call for presentations for the Cardiff Job

We are currently finalising venue, hotel details etc, and putting togther a provisional itinerary - and this is where you lot come in! In the afternoon we will be having a few fairly informal presentations - and whilst we are awaiting various confirmation...s it is looking pretty exciting. HOWEVER there is always room for more! So, if ANYONE who is looking to attend has anything they would like to present (a new book coming out, or even one you are working on, an exciting bit of research?) then please send me a message and we will see what we can do. Collaboration and sharing is the name of the day!

Comment

Cardiff Job Graphic

I think the graphic is tasteless, gruesome and panders to the worst aspects of Ripperology -exxxxcellent! ( You have to say the last word a la Mr Burns).

Seriously, great work whoever did it.

Comment

Andrew Firth did a sterling job didn't he Bob? I can take at least a minute part of the credit though as I took the picture of the bridge through our car windscreen
                            http://www.taraforum.com/

Comment

...Whilst you were driving?

Yes, part of the credit should definitely go to Ali for her excellent photo!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X