One Woman, 17 British Accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Woman, 17 British Accents

Siobhan Thompson performs a tour of the accents of the British Isles - and the celebrities who speak with them! Five lessons to help you do a better British ...

Being a Yank I can't vouch for how accurate this is but I did find it very entertaining. Plus I find her kind of cute. Like me some women in glasses. Yes, yes I am shallow.

c.d.

Very entertaining, and some pretty accurate accents there.
    She missed out Black Country, which is the other part of the West Midlands.
    My mate asked his girlfriend, who was from Manchester, why she never spoke to his mother.
    She replied that in the five years they had been together she hadn't understood one word his mother said.
    Understandable, we call Birmingham for example, Brummagem.
    'I sid im yesterdee' I saw him yesterday.
    I'm hearing it less and less nowadays, not sure why, but it's certainly unique.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
      She missed out Black Country, which is the other part of the West Midlands.
      Eddowes territory.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Aren`t these actually dialects, and not accents ?

Comment

I thought Robbie Burns was an Ayrshire poet.

Anyway, Stanley Baxter was good :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

She doesn't get the North Wales accent right, as it's rather more guttural. This chap gives a pretty good rendition of a number of regional Welsh accents:

North Wales at 1:06, but it's worth listening to the whole clip to appreciate the differences in accents throughout Wales.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
              Aren`t these actually dialects, and not accents ?
              I'd say they were accents, Jon. The timbres and cadences are very different between each.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I can pull a better London accent from my backside, and I'm German! Best London Accent ever is Brick Top in Snatch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcG3JRIF05w)

Also, no scouse. What an omission.

Apart from all that, I love it!

Comment

Gareth, which area of Wales would you say Talfryn Thomas's Mr Cheeseman was from?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    I'd say they were accents, Jon. The timbres and cadences are very different between each.
                    Hmm.. I remember being taught that countries had accents, and regions were dialects.
                    For example, you can have a Welsh accent, but not a Cardiff accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                      Hmm.. I remember being taught that countries had accents, and regions were dialects.
                      For example, you can have a Welsh accent, but not a Cardiff accent.
                      There is definitely a Cardiff accent, Jon, just as there is a Bristol accent, a Glasgow accent, a Birmingham accent, etc. Indeed, there are probably variations in accent even within cities (east v west, north v south).

Accents are how speech sounds, but dialects have more to do with vocabulary and grammar. The accent sings the song, but the dialect can change the words.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Gareth, which area of Wales would you say Talfryn Thomas's Mr Cheeseman was from?
                        Oddly enough, Rob, I'm going through a Doctor Who phase at the moment, and was only yesterday watching the first Pertwee adventure, Spearhead from Space, in which Talfryn Thomas appeared as a shifty hospital porter.

All the Internet sources say that he was born in Swansea, but which part of Swansea they don't say. Swansea's catchment area covers a wide radius, and he could well have been from one of the towns or villages in the Swansea Valley, where the accents are much thicker.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thanks Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            Oddly enough, Rob, I'm going through a Doctor Who phase at the moment, and was only yesterday watching the first Pertwee adventure, Spearhead from Space, in which Talfryn Thomas appeared as a shifty hospital porter.
                            Talking of Dr Who, I only remember him properly as Tom Price from Survivors (the original version). It was thanks to that program that I spent half my childhood looking forward to the end of civilization.
                            Sorry, no idea where he was born though.

Comment

Joshua he was in a very funny BBC schools TV production of 'The Government Inspector' (Gogol) back in the 70s, with one Martin Howells among others.

Comment

Working...
                              X