No announcement yet.

Which Ripper movie is the best?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest that murder by decree and time after time, or possibly the lodger, which was directed by some obscure Brit called Hitchcock, or Hickock or something. I thought from Hell was disappointing despite a good performance by Depp, but it fell short of the graphic novels potential.
    Scorpio
    SCORPIO

Comment

I voted "other:

I have a soft spot for the 1959 "Jack the Ripper" because seeing a trailer for that film (aged around 10), so scared me that it eventually led me to my interest in the case. It's a rubbish film, seen years later, but the black and white footage of the caped, top-hatted "Ripper" striding out across wet cobbles, and the panic he created, still makes me shiver.

Of the more modern movies, I too would put in a word for "Murder by Decree" - largely for the performances by Plummer and (maybe especially) James Mason, and for the script, which wasn't a bad re-working of the Knight book.

I also watch the 1988 Michael Caine mini-series from time to time, it looks good, and the design and properties are first rate. It is let down by a poor script which (I have always believed0 was given a different ending at the last moment. To me the logic of the film builds up to, and IMHO would have been more effective if is had stuck with, the revelation of Jane Seymour as "Jill the Ripper".

"From Hell" - again displaying great design work, left me cold. MBD (already mentioned) or the caine 1988 epic, did the royal conspiracy better.

But having re-seen it only recently, I think the reconstructions of inquests and witnesses etc in the 1973 barlow/Watt TV series stands up well.

So, I stick with other.

Phil

Comment

Murder by decree for me every time-was brokenhearted when my tape got chewed but danced for joy round HMV when i got my hands on the DVD.
        Caine/Collins one's good as well(is this available on DVD), but didn't rate Johnny Depp's Abberline in 'from hell'.
        You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Murder by decree by far, the killers in kellys room at the end scared the b'jesus out of me as a kid......didnt the killers eyes go all black ? i think the part where they go to see Annie Crook in the asylum was filmed at the old infirmary in Rhyl, North Wales believe it or not.....

Comment

I never saw the Hitchcock LODGER, or MURDER BY DECREE, or FROM HELL. THE LODGER with Laird Cregar has great atmosphere and tip top performances from Cregar, George Sanders, and Cedric Hardwicke. A STUDY IN TERROR with John Neville as Sherlock Holmes has a preposterous plot, but has one moment I always recalled - the camera acting as "Jack" passes the window of Mary Kelly's abode and she stupidly "him' in. Once he is in she quickly realizes who she invited in and starts screaming. Later Neville shows up at Miller's Court and Lestrade walks downstairs in a near state of shock due to what he just saw in the room. Unlike the Michael Caine film they did not use the photographs of Mary in the room, but the effect was just as horrific by suggestion.

Jeff

Comment

I saw the 1988 miniseries too as a kid. One scene scared the crap out of me but it had nothing to do with any of the murders. I don't remember what it was though. Thats gonna fester.

Personally, I don't think there are any fantastic Ripper movies out there... but there are some fantastically BAD ones. I don't mean boring, or not entertaining. I mean jaw dropping, you gotta be kidding me, Plan 9 From Outer Space bad.

I submit for your consideration "Bridge Across Time" starring the Hoff. A solid hour and a half of "no way... NO way... NO WAY!!!!!" Including a Jack the Ripper who most closely resembles Bowler Hat Guy from "Meet the Robinsons" (or Dick Dastardly depending on your generation)
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello Errata!

If we are talking about "JtR going Plan 9", then an Australian movie (that had photos before the murders took place, actors speaking Aostralian slang all the way, the scenes from an old Australian suburb, etc.) is very close.

Tried to find a name from the imbd, but no luck.

Hopefully someone could pick the name, actors, etc.

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                  Hello Errata!

If we are talking about "JtR going Plan 9", then an Australian movie (that had photos before the murders took place, actors speaking Aostralian slang all the way, the scenes from an old Australian suburb, etc.) is very close.

Tried to find a name from the imbd, but no luck.

Hopefully someone could pick the name, actors, etc.

All the best
                  Jukka
                  Hi Jukka,

Sounds like 'The Ripper' with Patrick Bergin.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob!

Thanks, it was really that one!

However, I liked Gabrielle Anwar!

All the best
                    Jukka
                    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                    X