Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Joshua,

Nice work.

How does it correspond with the search area outlined in Swanson's report of 19th October 1888?

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon,

It looks like it corresponds quite well, except for a few outliers to the east.

Comment

After the murders, a newspaper noted the street was full of signs, in Yiddish, advertising rooms to let.

The grape stalk ladies, Harstein and Rosenfeld, lived at No.14.
        The young Abraham Heshburg at No.28
        Letchford returned to his sister next door at No. 30 on the night.
        Mrs Mortimer was in her doorway, three doors down, at No.36.
        And the Kentorrichs' next to her and the club, at No.38.
        Packer of course, at No.44 and the Nelson ale house next to him at No.46.

Across Fairclough St, was Norris's chandler shop at No. 48.
        Marshall was further down at No. 64.
        The George iv at No. 68.
        Then a cluster of shops ending at Simkin's Chemist shop, where he was attacked with a hammer.
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Great info Simon!

Interesting that Fashion Street isn't on the list. I'd always assumed, like Thrawl St and Flowers, that it was full of lodging houses. But checking the maps, sure enough there don't appear to be any, although it is heavily tenemented.

I don't think I'd fancy my chances staying at the one lodging house in Heneage St...
          I was surprised too, but now, looking at the 1889 poverty map, I can see there are no "dark color" buildings on the street. Maybe there were only businesses. We'd have to look at the census.

EDIT: looking at the JtR wiki, it is considered a slum. But Eddowes gave her address on Fashion Street and it turned out the building was empty for years.
          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I seem to remember Fido in his CDD saying something about the Jewish-occupied Fashion St being nicer than the nearby streets.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              Hi Simon,

It looks like it corresponds quite well, except for a few outliers to the east.
              Mmm, I must admit it's not a 100% accurate representation. I could actually only locate one lodging house of the handful listed in Brick Lane and Hanbury Street, so spread them evenly along each road, but they may all be clustered together. I also couldn't find a couple of streets at all, including Great Pearl St, so there's a few missing.

Comment

Hi Joshua

For Gt Pearl St search for Samuel Golstein (Ancestry) or Samuel Golstien (sic) for Find My Past. Age 35. (1891)

Comment

Thanks Robert, Sarah Lewis also lived in Great Pearl St.
                  I've located it now, it seems to be known as Calvin Street today and is about 1/4 mile North of Christ Church, so about a 5 minute walk for Sarah from her home to Miller's Court.

So, for completeness, just imagine a couple more outlying corn kernels there on my map.

Comment

If anyone can read it, here is a link to Booth's notes on Berner Street in 1898.

Comment

Working...
                    X