Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man at Mitre Square

So, the man seen by Lawende.

Was he the Ripper? Another potential customer? Or were the couple seen in Church Passage two completely different people?

I'm inclined to believe that he was the Ripper.

The likeliness and timeframe for Eddowes to have rebuffed a potential client only to meet and/or bump into the Ripper in the square is very hard to believe logically. That and what were the chances of another couple talking outside the square while (presumably) the Ripper was killing Eddowes inside the square at the time? Plus Lawende seemed to have had an eye for detail for the description of the man's clothes and so it would be plausible for him to have identified Eddowes' by her clothing too, despite not seeing her face.

What do you think?

I think, why can't you post this under one of the appropriate threads?

Comment

Because I wanted a discussion specifically about this man in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Mascara & Paranoia View Post
        So, the man seen by Lawende.

Was he the Ripper? Another potential customer? Or were the couple seen in Church Passage two completely different people?

I'm inclined to believe that he was the Ripper.

The likeliness and timeframe for Eddowes to have rebuffed a potential client only to meet and/or bump into the Ripper in the square is very hard to believe logically. That and what were the chances of another couple talking outside the square while (presumably) the Ripper was killing Eddowes inside the square at the time? Plus Lawende seemed to have had an eye for detail for the description of the man's clothes and so it would be plausible for him to have identified Eddowes' by her clothing too, despite not seeing her face.

What do you think?

I think it is very likely that this man was the killer. The time frame makes it likely. I think it is much more likely than the story told by the PC later in his memoirs.

Comment

There is every chance that the people seen could be a completely different couple. There must have been a few people about that night, especially around a working man's club. There is every possibility that Jack was murdering Eddowes at the same time just a few yards away. I can't see any reason why this scenario is impossible.
          Best regards,
          Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Hi,
            If one remembers events of that night we do have the nightwatchmans report[ Bleinkensop] who quotes being asked by a respectably dressed man' Have you seen a man and woman pass this way?'
            Questions
            a] Could this be the couple seen at church passage?
            b] Was the woman Eddowes, or someone else?
            c]Who was the man asking the question, was it mayby the killer, or even a plain clothes police officer, who had been following this couple?
            d] Were there two killers, did one lead the victim to a arranged location , and acted as lookout whilst the murders occured?
            Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack
              There is every chance that the people seen could be a completely different couple. There must have been a few people about that night, especially around a working man's club. There is every possibility that Jack was murdering Eddowes at the same time just a few yards away. I can't see any reason why this scenario is impossible.
              Not impossible, just improbable. What are the odds that the woman would be wearing practically the same clothes as Eddowes, who was at that moment in time presumably getting killed only yards away from the 'other couple'? Realistically speaking, it's a bit hard to comprehend. I'm not being biased but I just can't logically believe that was the case; it's a little too coincidental.

Originally posted by richardunweek
              If one remembers events of that night we do have the nightwatchmans report[ Bleinkensop] who quotes being asked by a respectably dressed man' Have you seen a man and woman pass this way?'
              That always intrigued me, but I'm not sure if that was just another myth and part of Ripper lore. Maybe someone could shed some light as to whether or not it actually happened with some documented proof or something? Not to be such a bastarding sceptic.

As for the man in question seen by Lawende, if he is the Ripper, then we've got a good idea as to what he looked like with regards to his age group and appearance (which gives credence to the unknown local argument).
              Last edited by Mascara & Paranoia; 11-03-2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X