Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Beat me to it, Sam.

Also, ironically, some of those killers mentioned may have been influenced by the unsubstantiated belief that JTR communicated with the police/press.
    That's an insightful observation, and may be the case, at least for some.

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post
      Apologies for messing up in my first post to the site with a bad example.
      Not at all, etenguy. It was an interesting post, which has stimulated discussion. It had never occurred to me that different types of killer might have different propensities for leaving messages, so thanks for the inspiration!

A pretty good first post by any standards
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Rader

But there are serial killers who did leave messages.
        BTK, didn't he post messages in cereal packets? He wrote poetry about his murders.
        David Wilson Professor of Criminology:
        'Connection, connection, connection. There is no such thing as coincidence when you are dealing with serial killers.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Callmebill View Post
          BTK, didn't he post messages in cereal packets? He wrote poetry about his murders.
          BTK went overboard - yes there was a cereal packet message, and poems and he sent some of the victim's possessions with some of them (cf the kidney allegedly sent by JTR). In fact, that was how they caught him. They traced one of his messages back to a computer that linked him to the crimes.

Comment

• Wasn't it William Heirens who left a message saying something like 'please stop me before I kill again?' A strange one considering he could have handed himself in.
            We can't really judge if Jack was the 'type' to leave a message. We don't know if any of the letters were genuine and he didn't leave any other chalked messages after the other murders.
            I still think that if we knew a) that the message definately wasnt there at 2.20 and then b) where did Jack go after he left Mitre Square, then we might be on firmer ground if we could then say 'why did he go to Goulston Street (with all the inherent risks) carrying a clue that he could have already have disposed of?'
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              We don't know if any of the letters were genuine and he didn't leave any other chalked messages after the other murders.
              Maybe he did leave messages after previous murders, but nobody linked them to the killings, hence he left a piece of apron in Goulston Street?

Comment

• Originally posted by Callmebill View Post
                Indeed. Perhaps, as per John G's suggestion, he was inspired by the Jack the Ripper case?
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Who inspired Jack?

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Indeed. Perhaps, as per John G's suggestion, he was inspired by the Jack the Ripper case?
                  Hmm... Who or what inspired Jack to write letters or leave messages after his murders? An interesting research question for a determined Ripperologist.

Did any murderers prior to the Autumn of Terror crimes contact the authorities or leave notes with their corpses?
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Hmm... Who or what inspired Jack to write letters or leave messages after his murders?
                    On the letters front, I think that Dear Boss, almost certainly an enterprising journalist's invention, was the inspiration for all the others. (I wonder if the Ripper case was the first in history to have generated hoax letters to newspapers?)

As to who/what inspired any messages he may have left after the murders... what a useful segue back to the GSG
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• The poll outcome to date is that twice as many voters believe the Ripper did not write the GSG than believe he did. That's interesting.

If not him, then who?

PC Long trying to make a name for himself?
                      It was just general graffiti that no-one reported having seen previously?
                      A hoaxer who stole the apron segment from the crime scene?

I guess we'll never know, but I still err on the side it probably was the murderer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        Maybe he did leave messages after previous murders, but nobody linked them to the killings, hence he left a piece of apron in Goulston Street?
                        Hi Joshua,

That's a good point. Do we know how prevalent graffiti was at the time?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Given that there are surviving examples of graffiti dating back to Roman, even Ancient Egyptian, times, it seems to have been prevalent throughout history. It was certainly common in Victorian times.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Joshua,

Well I've seen it in plenty of Victorian photos in certain areas, so I don't think you can say it was uncommon by any stretch.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Any previous messages would have had to have been more obvious in content for them to have been noticed. If the GSG message had been written but no apron deposited it's unlikely that anyone would have connected it to the murder in Mitre Square. Everything is down to the apron, why it was taken away from Mitre Square and why it was dropped in that doorway (after an unexplained gap of time?)
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Joshua,

hi HS

there was no mention of any other graffiti in the immediate area. I'm sure graffiti was some what prevalent at the time, but not so much so that points to the coincidence that a bloody apron was found under graffiti that disparages jews on a night when the killer was interrupted by jews while trying to kill.

Too much of a coincidence-the killer wrote it.

Comment

Working...
                                X