No announcement yet.

Artizan Dwellings writing photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Monty;359988]Same reason you posted this.

To be awkward.

Monty
    [/QUOTE

You posted it out of ignorance. This is a British crime, not an American one. Pure sloppiness and pathetic on your part.

Comment

[QUOTE=EmaEm;359992]
      Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Same reason you posted this.

To be awkward.

Monty
      [/QUOTE

You posted it out of ignorance. This is a British crime, not an American one. Pure sloppiness and pathetic on your part.
      Sloppiness?

This from one who is unable to use the Quote function correctly.

I suggest you get your own home in order before you pass comment on others.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by EmaEm View Post
        Why are you spelling it as artisan with a z? This is a British crime! If you can't even get that right.....
        It is actually a myth that 'z' for 's' is uniquely American. It was very common in England in the nineteenth century. The below is an extract from the (London) Times of 23 September 1891 which refers to 'the artizan's dwellings in the Minories'.
        Attached Files

Comment

As if me mis-using the quote function comes anywhere near as bad as you not knowing how to spell: get a grip. What is worse, is that you are British, not American. At least they would have an excuse for using the letter z, and you're not even embarrassed. Bet your editor puts in an overtime claim when you come along. What is your degree in btw?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            It is actually a myth that 'z' for 's' is uniquely American. It was very common in England in the nineteenth century. The below is an extract from the (London) Times of 23 September 1891 which refers to 'the artizan's dwellings in the Minories'.
            No, not really. If you read my post more carefully you will ascertain that I did not state ALL American words are spelt with a z, nor indeed, that no British words are spelt with a z. What is more important is The Artisans and Dwellings Act (can't remember the exact title, it was something like that) 18..... That is UK legislation. It was spelt with an s and in most literature. In addition, the word artisan was used to describe a socio economic category. So I think you'll find that you are wrong. It was not common to spell it with a z. In fact that would have been an anomaly.

Last edited by EmaEm; 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

^ I think artizan is an obsolete spelling of artisan. Dr Samuel Wilderspoon, who was an English educator and pioneer of Infant schools (he also founded a school in Spitalfields) used the term 'artizan' in one of his books, which was published in 1852.

Comment

Why are you spelling it as artisan with a z? This is a British crime! If you can't even get that right.....

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

27th of which month?

'Jack the Ripper' was in common usage after the receipt of the Dear Boss letter, whilst this graffiti was reported on in 1891.

So that is the time frame for this piece of writing.

Monty
                  Hi Monty,

I absolutely agree. And thatīs why I wrote that I think the reliability of this data source is not very high.

But I am very surprised at the perfect handwriting match Iīve got.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                    ^ I think artizan is an obsolete spelling of artisan. Dr Samuel Wilderspoon, who was an English educator and pioneer of Infant schools (he also founded a school in Spitalfields) used the term 'artizan' in one of his books, which was published in 1852.

Exactly Rosella, thank you. From mentions in Dickens, to The Artisans and Labourers Dwelling Act 1875, the custom eventually became to spell it with an s. Not always, of course, there were still anomalous spellings with a z but they became rarer.

Comment

As if me mis-using the quote function comes anywhere near as bad as you not knowing how to spell: get a grip. What is worse, is that you are British, not American. At least they would have an excuse for using the letter z, and you're not even embarrassed. Bet your editor puts in an overtime claim when you come along. What is your degree in btw?
                      ThS (Hons)

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                        Hi Monty,

I absolutely agree. And thatīs why I wrote that I think the reliability of this data source is not very high.

But I am very surprised at the perfect handwriting match Iīve got.

Regards Pierre
                        I assume by reliability you are referring to the connection to your suspect, not the source itself.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

This link exactly proves my point! There were still anomalous instances around, but by 1888
                          (which is the year in question) the 1875 act had been in existence for 13 years. Therefore, by then, the majority of spellings used the letter s. If the subject covered the first half of the 19th Century, then a case could be argued for using z.

Most of the plaques on buildings by 1888, showed artisan, not artizan.

Comment

ThS (Hons)

Monty
                            Is that Tourism and Hospitality, or something else?

Comment

Is that Tourism and Hospitality, or something else?
                              No,

Tithead spotting.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

No,

Tithead spotting.

Monty
                                Well that makes you mature doesn't it? Well done, you no doubt feel proud of yourself. The obvious interpretation of course if that if this is your answer to a simple enquiry then you don't have a degree. Nothing wrong with that, but if you were secure about it, you wouldn't have made that little boy post. It's the kind of thing that school boys say to each other or 'adults' with a chip on their shoulder. Hey, but Jack the Ripper studies are well known for attracting men that are a bit on the rough side. Some mates for you on here. But I do apologise. From your photo you appeared to be an adult, so my mistake. An adult in appearance only then, who won't learn because he is too insecure. I do feel sorry for you for posting as you did, you seem to have been left a bit behind by mature, sophisticated men. Never mind, we all know how proud you are to have written a book which you shove in everyone's face (so uncool) at the slightest opportunity, not to mention the photo of you looking like a bouncer. You can laugh at yourself though, can't you? You have acceptance from the big rough Ripper boys, especially the redneck ones, and that is something that you really crave. Ah, bless. It's about a killer in 1888 Neil, it's not academic work or a medical breakthrough.
                                Last edited by EmaEm; 11-13-2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X