"Big Girl's Blouse" Expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    The "w" word is rather popular in my neck of the woods. Here's a pleasant little ditty which uses it extensively:

This is not my video, am just sharing cause it so funny

The song is, as they say, "not safe for work", and not for children either.
    LOL. My friends when we younger and immature would rag on each other about it. usually went something like this.

did you hook up last night?

oh yes.you know her well.

Rosie Palmer?

or the variation:

did you hook up last night?

oh yeah-two on one.

Rosie Palmer and her twin sister Lefty.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      I can't think why anyone would call you Vile, Abby.

Hey!
      I see what you did there!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        More or less.

Tosser and Wanker are both euphemisms for masturbation. jerk was too.
        But perhaps, on a scale of one to ten, not quite as bad as calling someone "a total waste of space."
        Last edited by John G; 05-08-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

More or less.

Tosser and Wanker are both euphemisms for masturbation. jerk was too.
          Hi gut
          is that where the meaning of jerk came from too? calling someone a jerk here in the US is so common and been around so long I had no idea. didn't actually even think of it till now.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Hi gut
            is that where the meaning of jerk came from too? calling someone a jerk here in the US is so common and been around so long I had no idea. didn't actually even think of it till now.
            Yep..
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I've heard that some Americans object to being called "yankees" for the same reason (and not because they're from the South). Is this true?

Comment

SHANE : They say you're a low-down Yankee liar.

WILSON : Tsk, tsk! "Low-down liar," if you don't mind. Leave out the 'Yankee.'

SHANE : They say you're a truthful and honest Yankee.

WILSON : Prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                  I've heard that some Americans object to being called "yankees" for the same reason (and not because they're from the South). Is this true?
                  Hi Joshua
                  Not that I know of. And as far as I know yankee doesn't come from the verb to yank, as in yanking it, as in wanking it. LOL! The way I understand it the word has unknown origin. The most consensus is that it was a term used for Dutch settlers in the New York area in the colonial times--- it being a form of Dutch name Jan, or Janke the diminutive.

Of course it was used by the English in the revolutionary war as an insult to the American patriots, but the Americans turned it around and used it as a source of pride, and referred to themselves as it.

It the evolved over the years here to mainly refer to people from the north or more specifically New Yorkers around the time of the civil war. And when the NY baseball team was named the Yankees it came even more to refer th New Yorkers and specifically the baseball team.

Now for Americans it mainly is only used to the baseball team, and as they have been so successful over the years I think it's safe to say the Yankees are the most hated baseball team in the country and people don't like the name because of that.

I believe the rest of the world may still use it to refer to all Americans though.
                  I think southerners may also still refer to northerners as Yankees but I can't be sure because living in Maryland, I haven't heard it used like that. Maybe one of the southern rebs can expound on that part a little more. LOL!

Anyway, I have never heard that the term yankee stems from wanking it.

Word history has always fascinated me.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Joshua
                    Not that I know of. And as far as I know yankee doesn't come from the verb to yank, as in yanking it, as in wanking it. LOL! The way I understand it the word has unknown origin. The most consensus is that it was a term used for Dutch settlers in the New York area in the colonial times--- it being a form of Dutch name Jan, or Janke the diminutive.

Of course it was used by the English in the revolutionary war as an insult to the American patriots, but the Americans turned it around and used it as a source of pride, and referred to themselves as it.

It the evolved over the years here to mainly refer to people from the north or more specifically New Yorkers around the time of the civil war. And when the NY baseball team was named the Yankees it came even more to refer th New Yorkers and specifically the baseball team.

Now for Americans it mainly is only used to the baseball team, and as they have been so successful over the years I think it's safe to say the Yankees are the most hated baseball team in the country and people don't like the name because of that.

I believe the rest of the world may still use it to refer to all Americans though.
                    I think southerners may also still refer to northerners as Yankees but I can't be sure because living in Maryland, I haven't heard it used like that. Maybe one of the southern rebs can expound on that part a little more. LOL!

Anyway, I have never heard that the term yankee stems from wanking it.

Word history has always fascinated me.
                    Around east London Americans would be known as Septics (septic tank=Yank).

Comment

Originally posted by yen_powell View Post
                      Around east London Americans would be known as Septics (septic tank=Yank).
                      well Id prefer Shermans (Sherman tank=Yank).

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                        You Brits have some great expressions and this is one of them. I also really like "how's your father?" But I am not quite clear on the former. Apparently it means a weak and/or effeminate man. But what does the "big" refer to? Does it mean a big girl, i.e., fat or large girl or does the big mean that the man is very much weak and effeminate?

Can't wait to use this on somebody.

c.d.
                        CD
                        a fairly common saying to males here in the US, of all ages, is Put on your big boy pants.
                        meaning of course grow up, be a man,stop being a wus, etc.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi gut
                          Yep..
                          The other explanation by some wordsmiths is that the soda-jerk was the most menial of jobs in the drug store.

Most seem to believe it came from the belief that self abuse lead to mental illness.

A common much name here in Aus is "Tommy" two ...." because he couldn't get that silly playing with just one.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

CD
                            a fairly common saying to males here in the US, of all ages, is Put on your big boy pants.
                            meaning of course grow up, be a man,stop being a wus, etc.
                            Yep, a similar type origin
                            G U T

Comment

Working...
                            X