The Nature of Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
    It's empirically impossible to prove that assertion, Pierre.

If the past were capable of being changed, and indeed had been changed, you wouldn't know it. And neither would I.

Unless I were the one who had changed it.

But that would be telling.
    It is empirically possible to prove it. Experiment:

This post is now the past.

Try to change my post here.

Pierre

Comment

• There are two ways of changing the past. The first is to make the change before the past has happened, in other words get there first, before time does.

The second is the same as the first, but in reverse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        It is empirically possible to prove it. Experiment:

This post is now the past.

Try to change my post here.

Pierre
        Pierre, you believe that this post is what you originally wrote. You 'remember' writing it. But this isn't what you originally wrote. I have changed it. You are naturally unaware of this, because the past has been changed, and the post as it now stands has become the past.

You're welcome.

Comment

It is empirically possible to find a unicorn.
          Experiment:

This post is now changed.

Try to change my diapers here.

Bozo
          past changed!
          Last edited by Abby Normal; 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            past changed!

Comment

There are two ways of changing the past. The first is to make the change before the past has happened, in other words get there first, before time does.

The second is the same as the first, but in reverse.
              You can not change something which has not happened. So your idea is wrong.

Time is just measurement.

Comment

Pierre, you believe that this post is what you originally wrote. You 'remember' writing it. But this isn't what you originally wrote. I have changed it. You are naturally unaware of this, because the past has been changed, and the post as it now stands has become the past.

You're welcome.
                Henry
                The problem is you have changed a copy; not the original which remains as it was..

It does however mean that if the original were lost andd only the copy left we would not know unless the copy were noted and that record kept.

Steve

Comment

You can not change something which has not happened. So your idea is wrong.

Time is just measurement.
                  Ah no, Pierre. Time is not just measurement. The numbers we adorn it with and describe it with are just measurement, but time is not measurement any more than space or distance are just measurement.

Time is the cold-pressed linseed oil into which I lovingly grind certain very rare pigments called 'Pierre' and 'Henry Flower' and 'David or Sam'.

The colours are beautiful. I'm surprised you cannot see the radiance, Pierre.

Comment

You're welcome.
                    You are amusing, Henry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                      Henry
                      The problem is you have changed a copy; not the original which remains as it was..

It does however mean that if the original were lost andd only the copy left we would not know unless the copy were noted and that record kept.

Steve
                      Not so, Steve, it's all changed. All of it. It is a soteriological miracle.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;423241]

Henry
                        The post has a number. 256. Original post. Not changeable.

Steve
                        So we need systems for checking sources.

Pierre

Comment

• Time is a function of entropy
                          Time is an illusion
                          Time is an evil hag who steals our youth and murders us all
                          Time flies
                          Time is only a real concept when combined as space-time

Time to go take a dump

Comment

Not so, Steve, it's all changed. All of it. It is a soteriological miracle.

Henry, I don't believe in miracles, and the original is still as it was.

Good try.

Nice amusement when not too much going on.

Steve

Comment

Ah no, Pierre. Time is not just measurement. The numbers we adorn it with and describe it with are just measurement, but time is not measurement any more than space or distance are just measurement.

Time is the cold-pressed linseed oil into which I lovingly grind certain very rare pigments called 'Pierre' and 'Henry Flower' and 'David or Sam'.

The colours are beautiful. I'm surprised you cannot see the radiance, Pierre.
                              post of the year

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                                Henry, I don't believe in miracles, and the original is still as it was.

Good try.

Nice amusement when not too much going on.

Steve
                                Looks like Time has stolen someones sense of humor

Comment

Working...
                                X