Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Shades of Whitechapel: Evidence found from Amelia Dyer case in 1896 - by Robert 2 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - by RareEarther 5 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Robert 17 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Wickerman 21 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Sam Flynn 28 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Geddy2112 1 hour and 8 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere The Psychopath - (10 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: Going Digital: Which books do I rebuy on Kindle? - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Recent 'Tour' - (4 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Not for nothing - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Jane Kelly

Old 11-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Dew also said that army pensioner Tom Bowyer was a "youth" (among other howlers), so I'd treat his recollections with caution. Personally, I feel that Dew "puffed up" his involvement in the Ripper case.
I've often wondered If Dew picked that up from a newspaper report (perhaps from his scrapbook) when compiling his memories, but either way it shows he didn't know Tom too well.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
I've often wondered If Dew picked that up from a newspaper report (perhaps from his scrapbook) when compiling his memories, but either way it shows he didn't know Tom too well.
Has Bowyer ever been identified in any records? Do they know his correct age for sure even?
Edit: Sorry I took a look over at the bowyer thread

Last edited by RockySullivan : 11-26-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Has Bowyer ever been identified in any records? Do they know his correct age for sure even?
Not sure about his precise age, but he was evidently not a "youth" by any stretch of the imagination. All the newspaper illustrations of Bowyer seem to depict a man well into his thirties or even forties, unreliable as such drawings sometimes are. That said, there's a sketch of him in the Penny Illustrated Newspaper, so well-observed that it may well have been drawn from life. To me, it shows a man in his mid/late forties at least:

(Penny Illustrated Newspaper, 17th Nov 1888)

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Inspector

Daily News 13th Nov 1888;

"Perhaps the most sensational bit of evidence tendered was that of a garrulous young woman who, with some dramatic force, imitated by voice and action a sort of nightmare cry of "Oh! murder!" which she declared she had heard just after she had been woke up by her kitten rubbing its nose against her face about half-past three or four o'clock on the morning of the murder. It was a faintish cry, she said, as though somebody had woke up with the nightmare, and though the evidence must be taken with the reserve that should attach to all such testimony, the time at which she believes she heard the cry would tally very well with all the circumstances of the case, and it is not impossible that that really was the death gasp of the poor woman in the clutches of her murderer."

Elizabeth Prater's evidence, Echo 12th Nov 1888;

"What was the next thing? - A black kitten, of which I am very fond, came to my bed, and rubbed itself against my face.

It disturbed you? - Yes, it tried to get into the bed, and awoke me. That must have been about half-past four, as I heard the clock chiming. I pushed the kitten away.

Yes? - And, just as I pushed the kitten away I heard, "Oh! Murder!" It was as if it was a nightmare. It was just "Oh! Oh! (in a faint, gasping way) - Murder!"

Where did the sound seem to come from? - Up the court, somewhere. I did not hear it a second time. I did not take any notice of it. Then I went to sleep.

You did not hear any singing? - None whatever. If there had been any at half-past one I should have heard it."
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Daily News 13th Nov 1888;

"Perhaps the most sensational bit of evidence tendered was that of a garrulous young woman who, with some dramatic force, imitated by voice and action a sort of nightmare cry of "Oh! murder!" which she declared she had heard just after she had been woke up by her kitten rubbing its nose against her face about half-past three or four o'clock on the morning of the murder. It was a faintish cry, she said, as though somebody had woke up with the nightmare, and though the evidence must be taken with the reserve that should attach to all such testimony, the time at which she believes she heard the cry would tally very well with all the circumstances of the case, and it is not impossible that that really was the death gasp of the poor woman in the clutches of her murderer."

Elizabeth Prater's evidence, Echo 12th Nov 1888;

"What was the next thing? - A black kitten, of which I am very fond, came to my bed, and rubbed itself against my face.

It disturbed you? - Yes, it tried to get into the bed, and awoke me. That must have been about half-past four, as I heard the clock chiming. I pushed the kitten away.

Yes? - And, just as I pushed the kitten away I heard, "Oh! Murder!" It was as if it was a nightmare. It was just "Oh! Oh! (in a faint, gasping way) - Murder!"

Where did the sound seem to come from? - Up the court, somewhere. I did not hear it a second time. I did not take any notice of it. Then I went to sleep.

You did not hear any singing? - None whatever. If there had been any at half-past one I should have heard it."
Thanks Joshua
Ive always thought that the cat waking her was because it either was disturbed by the killer entering her room, or perhaps, she had the timing off a bit and the cat was agitated by the smell of blood.

Ive had cats and they get agitated (hungry?)when they smell blood.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 08-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Thanks Joshua
Ive always thought that the cat waking her was because it either was disturbed by the killer entering her room, or perhaps, she had the timing off a bit and the cat was agitated by the smell of blood.

Ive had cats and they get agitated (hungry?)when they smell blood.
I don't doubt they do Abby, but it seems a long way for the smell of blood to travel, and as you say would require Prater to be confused about timings. Besides, in my experience, kittens - being generally nocturnal and full of mischief - really don't need such an excuse to jump on your face at 4 in the morning!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I don't doubt they do Abby, but it seems a long way for the smell of blood to travel, and as you say would require Prater to be confused about timings. Besides, in my experience, kittens - being generally nocturnal and full of mischief - really don't need such an excuse to jump on your face at 4 in the morning!
this is true. LOL!

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi Rocky,

well, what makes you think it is unlikely - and what could the alternative(s) be?

Regards Pierre
Hi Pierre,
A bit late I know, but how about the cry of "oh murder" was in fact Kelly coming home to find a murdered body laying in her room.
It would be enough to make you vomit for a long time, even up to 8/8.30 the following morning.

regards
Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi,

1. What happened between 1.30 and 3.30/3.45 in Kelly´s room?

2. Why did Prater hear "Oh, murder!"?

3."I left the room on the Thursday at five p.m., and returned to it at about one a.m. on Friday morning. I stood at the corner until about twenty minutes past one. No one spoke to me. McCarthy's shop was open, and I called in, and then went to my room. I should have seen a glimmer of light in going up the stairs if there had been a light in deceased's room, but I noticed none. The partition was so thin I could have heard Kelly walk about in the room. I went to bed at half-past one and barricaded the door with two tables. I fell asleep directly and slept soundly. A kitten disturbed me about half-past three o'clock or a quarter to four. As I was turning round I heard a suppressed cry of "Oh - murder!" in a faint voice. "

Regards Pierre
1. Mary passed out after letting Blotchy out.
2. Mary exclaimed that in annoyance at finding someone softly knocking at her door or window at almost 3:45am, while she was sleeping off her binge. She made the exclamation at her open door..which explains both how Elizabeth heard it and Sarah.
3. Diddles woke when the door or window on Marys room was tapped upon.

The easiest answers are often the ones embraced last.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Inspector

I've just noticed a possible explanation for the cry of "Oh, murder!", and why such cries were common, in an article about policing from the Star 3rd Oct;

The police are so fenced in by rules and regulations that they seem to be afraid to act on their own responsibility in a grave emergency. If a deadly fight is taking place in a house they will not enter unless they hear cries of "Murder"