Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by etenguy 60 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (14 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
General Discussion: Albert Backert - did he emigrate? - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 04-11-2017, 05:57 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Default Bucks Row Project

Hi All, after months of promising an in depth investigation into Bucks Row, I am almost ready to start posting.

I have had a few problems with tables and charts but have worked out how to convert them into images and post those, not what i intended but it works.

I shall be posting the original as a blog not far down the road and will give links when this is ready.

The Project grew out of a number of comments by various posters and it has GROWN much more than I ever expected.

The recent book by Tom Wescott obviously had to be taken into account, as did recent threads on the forum. this has resulted in some rewriting and some additional research.

The project comprises 3 distinct parts:

Firstly an in depth study of the timings involved in the Bucks Row murder, this will in itself be made up of a number of posts and I hope to have this 1st part online by the end of Friday this week (Good Friday).

The second part is a look at the reports given by the residents (witnesses) in Bucks Row, as well as the Police and others who gave evidence or were reported by the papers.
This is still under development, although all of the data as been collected and viewed. What remains is how best to present this and I am looking at several possibilities at present.

The 3rd part will be a summing up based on the first two parts, with conclusions drawn and suggestions made, some perhaps pointing at more research.

At no point will there be an attempt to look for a killer.
However there will be in depth discussions about the discovery of the body and Lechmere's role in this.
The aim is not to name him or not as the killer, but to look at some of the statements which have been made suggesting he was the killer and to compare these statements against the facts as we can see them at this time.

The first 2 parts should be viewed as the results of the research Project, the third as the conclusion.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hi Steve

My tip would be to post them all at the same time, before the thread gets hijacked.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hi Steve

My tip would be to post them all at the same time, before the thread gets hijacked.
Thanks for the advice Robert.

Each part will be posted separately as part of my plan was to take feedback into account.

However the various parts of the first section will be posted at the same time.

I am aware of what could happen.

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Detective

Sounds good, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the case.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattrup View Post
Sounds good, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the case.

Yes I think it will make something's slot clearer.

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Detective

Looking forward to your posts.Just to get a clearer picture of what happened should be the "ceiling".I applaud you for that.That should include all other events in the case also.But then the suspect-based people come in and muddy the water.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
Looking forward to your posts.Just to get a clearer picture of what happened should be the "ceiling".I applaud you for that.That should include all other events in the case also.But then the suspect-based people come in and muddy the water.
Yes to my mind there are so many misconceptions about Bucks Row.
And one can only hope to clear many of those up.

One if the reasons I am posting as 3 sections is with the first one based on maps and science And the second on actual reports it should be harder for anyone to muddy.

The final part which will be conclusion I fully expect to be wearing my steel helmet for.

I am thinking of taking a similar approach to the other murders. But time will tell

Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Commisioner

Really looking forward to reading this which I'm sure will be objective, detailed and extremely well reasoned.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Yes to my mind there are so many misconceptions about Bucks Row.
And one can only hope to clear many of those up.

One if the reasons I am posting as 3 sections is with the first one based on maps and science And the second on actual reports it should be harder for anyone to muddy.

The final part which will be conclusion I fully expect to be wearing my steel helmet for.

I am thinking of taking a similar approach to the other murders. But time will tell

Steve
Wearing the steel helmet for the final part was too optimistic.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Commisioner

I note that Robert thinks this thread is in peril of being "hijacked". That, supposedly, cannot refer to me, since I cannot possibly hijack a thread about Bucks Row and Charles Lechmere by discussing Bucks Row and Charles Lechmere.
However, I have no problems giving Steve whatever space and time he needs to flesh out his message. So I will leave him to it, with no interruptions from my side, unless he specifically asks for any comments, in which case I may comment.
When he has posted all he has to say, I really canīt tell if Robert wants me to stay away from the thread without commenting on it; we will see. Maybe defending a theroy on a suiting thread has advanced to hijacking these days.

I humbly predict that Charles Lechmere will be as good a suspect after Steves efforts a he was before them. I donīt think that the carman can be ruled out on account of the time issues, or that the blood evidence will in any way point away from him, regardless of Steves interpretation.

Steve has on a number of occasions pointed out that I do not have any specific right to choose how the matters involved should be looked upon. It is therefore interesting to hear him say that he aims to meet statements with facts. Maybe itīs an effort in the vein of Donald Trump, ho has a tendency to speak of "alternative facts", I donīt know. Itīs not as if the Lechmere theory is not grounded in facts.

Regardless of which, I fear those who anticipate the removal of Charles Lechmere from the list of suspect are in for a major disappointment.

Now I leave the word to Steve. I wouldnīt want Robert to feel I am hijacking the thread.