Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two good reasons why The Ripper did not communicate by written word.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The true import of all those 'Jack the Ripper letters' is that Britain, then as now, was/is the home of humour in the Western world.

99% of them just need canned laughter to convert the doubtful.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
      The true import of all those 'Jack the Ripper letters' is that Britain, then as now, was/is the home of humour in the Western world.

99% of them just need canned laughter to convert the doubtful.
      It would be perhaps more of the truth if it could be said that 100% of them ned to be canned. People would have got to see the bodies lying in the streets, so witnessess would have seen the injuries on the women, people in London were about at all hours, shops were open all hours to serve the public, London was a very big and busy place, it was filled with so many suffering mental illness of one sort or another and psychiatry was in it's early stages during the Victorian period, not like it is today, not to mention that it was predomentley religious engrained to boot. Plenty of evidence shows with the other murdered women after 1888 that there were copycat minded people, so i have no doubts that a lot of those letters sent to polie stations at the height of the Ripper Killings were from one nut or another, all attention seekers of course.

Comment

Letters

Better minds than mine have concluded that the "Dear Boss' Letter isn't the work of Jack. I'm opne minded about that however The reasononing that this is so because the letter sent to the newspaper is too polite just doesn't gel for me. While the newspapers played fast and loose with facts, they certainly were not going to risk Her Majesty's government shutting them down for printing anything with the least little whiff of obscenity in it.
        If you're a publisher in 1888, you face the real prospect of going to jail for dropping a mild explicatiove like damn inthe newspaper, never mind any of what comedian George Carlin called "the Heavy seven" this was an era when chairs had skirts to hide the chair legs and prostitutes were referred to in print as "soiled doves" or "unfortunates" Do you honestly think the CNA is going to risk a visit from a very irate government functionary who WILL ask the publisher to explain in exact detail why Her majesty Queen Victoria saw THAT word (or group of words) in the London Times. Not likely. As to there not being a message on Kelly's wall, The fact is we don't know why Jack stopped. I venture to say it wasn't by choice so why leave a message saying goddbye or one at all on the wall? It is likely the Goulston Street graffiti was not the work of Jack. Just my .02$ worth here. cheers!
        Last edited by YankeeSergeant; 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
        Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
        X