Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Joseph Fleming fit into the equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me it is outlandish to steadfastly claim he coukdnt have been 6 foot 7 inches tall .

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      To me it is outlandish to steadfastly claim he coukdnt have been 6 foot 7 inches tall .
      maybe he had is plastering stilts on when he was measured
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Tall story

At six feet I maintained a weght of between 9stone 7 ponds and 10 stone for nearly 30 years and was perfectly happy and healthy, albeit slightly gaunt in photographs ... I smoked heavily of course and have a pretty high metabolic rate...(and since giving up smoking and putting on years beyond 50, I've piled on the pounds...ok I lie...stones!) but...

I had a young would-be trainee pass through on assessment a little while back, who was 19 years old, six feet five inches, and 11 stone (with Fleming in mind I specifically asked!) ... he was pretty skinny but appeared to be perfectly healthy...so I find myself unable to rule out Fleming's height on that basis alone...

It's just that he'd have stood out so much in a crowd...he'd surely have been a far more memorable visitor to Mary's place...and it's for THAT reason I'm with Debs...For somebody perhaps hurriedly admitting a patient, 67 inches taken off a vertical scale on the wall, mentally converted, (for the sake of the pre-printed form), to 6ft 7ins instead of 5ft 7ins is a pretty natural mistake to make...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          As the father of two sons who stand over 6' 5" I can tell you that a 6' 7" dude would have stood out in a crowd too much to be JtR.
          And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

Fleming wasn't 6'7 - that is sure.
            He probably was 5'7.

Comment

Hi,
              Although it is more likely that James Evans [ alias Fleming] was indeed 5'7'', and misread as 67'', it is not yet conclusive.
              We have medical reports, that this inmate was at times around 160-164 lbs which is rather stocky for a man of that height especially of that period.
              If indeed Evans was 5'7'', and he was the Fleming ex of Mary Kelly, he would fit the description short and stocky which figures in many descriptions throughout that autumn.
              If indeed he was in-fact 6'7'', then he would not have been jack the Ripper, but his height would have been ideal for plastering ceilings[ sorry about that].
              Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard

Yes, Fleming was 5'7.
                "Rather stocky" is indeed more likely (and it was certainly far more common) than "incredibly tall and thin".

Comment

DVV,

Have you seen the sketch? Of course its an artists impression but he doesn't seem very stocky.

Cheers
                  DRoy

Comment

Hi DRoy

Just look at his height and weight and you'll see he wasn't "very" stocky, but only rather stocky, or "medium built" - as Lawende said.

All the best

Comment

5' 7"

Hello David. Good to see you posting again. Hope you are well.

I like 5' 7" better myself.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn, thanks.
                        Hope you're fine too.
                        It's good to see that this stupid 6'7 argument a du plomb dans l'aile.

Comment

get the lead out

Hello David. Thanks.

Yes, that would be quite an anomaly.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Norwegian Blue

Is your Flem(m)ing argument looking tired? Resting? It ain't resting mate...

All the best

Dave

Comment

argument is no more

Hello Dave. Are you suggesting that the Fleming argument has gone to meet its maker and is now an ex-argument? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

DVV,

If you have conclusive evidence showing he's 5'7" can you please show it to all to put this to rest? I honestly don't care whether he was 8'11" but he is recorded as 6'7" so until proven otherwise I'd say we have to trust it.

Cheers
                                DRoy

Comment

Working...
                                X