Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    From our witness folder here;

"Mary Kelly was apparently very drunk and could barely answer, but managed to say goodnight in return. Shortly afterwards, she was heard singing in her room. Cox went out shortly after midnight and returned about 1.00am by which time Kelly was still singing. Cox went out again just after 1.00am and returned at 3.00am and by this time all was quiet in the court and there was no light on in No.13. She stated that after that, she heard no noise for the rest of the night"

From the witness;

"Mary Ann Cox stated: I live at No. 5 Room, Miller's-court. It is the last house on the left-hand side of the court. I am a widow, and get my living on the streets. I have known the deceased for eight or nine months as the occupant of No. 13 Room. She was called Mary Jane. I last saw her alive on Thursday night, at a quarter to twelve, very much intoxicated. [Coroner] Where was this ? - In Dorset-street. She went up the court, a few steps in front of me.

[Coroner] Was anybody with her ? - A short, stout man, shabbily dressed. He had on a longish coat, very shabby, and carried a pot of ale in his hand.

[Coroner] What was the colour of the coat ? - A dark coat.

[Coroner] What hat had he ? - A round hard billycock.

[Coroner] Long or short hair ? - I did not notice. He had a blotchy face, and full carrotty moustache.

[Coroner] The chin was shaven ? - Yes. A lamp faced the door.

[Coroner] Did you see them go into her room ? - Yes; I said "Good night, Mary," and she turned round and banged the door.

[Coroner] Had he anything in his hands but the can ? - No.

[Coroner] Did she say anything ? - She said "Good night, I am going to have a song." As I went in she sang "A violet I plucked from my mother's grave when a boy." I remained a quarter of an hour in my room and went out. Deceased was still singing at one o'clock when I returned. I remained in the room for a minute to warm my hands as it was raining, and went out again. She was singing still, and I returned to my room at three o'clock. The light was then out and there was no noise
    ."

Absolutely consistent with what I said earlier. The knock on the door, or window for that matter is deduced from the fact that the cat awoke Elizabeth just prior to the cry out, indicating some form of audible disturbance. Ive suggested many times here that the cry out and Mary Kelly being the one to have made it make perfect sense, in the context of someone being woken in the middle of the night with what is very probably a sore head.

Ill defer to Cox and her recollections rather than some other witnesses who claim to have seen Mary Kelly alive after 11:45pm Thursday evening, because of her established relationship with Kelly and the fact she passes that room several times. As for what Kelly had for making a fire, well we know there was one in that hearth at some recent point, and we know that remnants of clothing were found in it.

The issue isn't whether this makes perfect sense or not however, in this forum its whether or not people will use logical extrapolations of data to carry a storyline to its conclusion. Someone cried out at nearly 4am, only 2 witnesses can be proven to have known Mary if only for their proximity to her for some time, and the medical suggestion regarding time of death is in the middle of the night, not 10am. That plus Diddles creates a plausible scenario...including the fact that she was in a love triangle of sorts at that point in time, and she had the room to herself for only a few days. The opportunity for lover B, or anyone for that matter, to pop by to see her is clear.

Its almost certain that the killer gained access to the room by invitation, not forced entry or some catlike stealth.
    if Blotchy then yes.
    if not him, than more than likely the killer gained access through the window trick. mary Kelly being asleep/passed out when attacked points in this direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      if Blotchy then yes.
      if not him, than more than likely the killer gained access through the window trick. mary Kelly being asleep/passed out when attacked points in this direction.
      You're suggesting that Kelly's killer (if not Blotchy) didn't meet her on the street, but snuck into her room while she was asleep? And that's Barnett?

Comment

if Blotchy then yes.
        If not Blotchy, then it's more likely in my view that she went out again and picked someone else up.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
          You're suggesting that Kelly's killer (if not Blotchy) didn't meet her on the street, but snuck into her room while she was asleep? And that's Barnett?
          Actually Patrick I was saying that its highly unlikely anyone snuck in, the windows were locked when found and we have no information to say that they weren't in that condition when she arrived home, and I'm saying that the cry out was in all likelihood Mary exclaiming her displeasure of having someone she knew arrive at 3:45am when she was sleeping off her bender.

Not one person said they saw Mary leave the room after 11:45, although some claimed to have seen her outside the room after that time. No-one saw Blotchy leave either, but if I'm right, and she padded to answer the door or window knock at 3:45am, then its unlikely she also still had Blotchy in the room with her. That would have caused some discussion between her and her visitor at the door, and no sounds at all were heard after "oh-murder". Which for me suggests that if she answered the door, and although ticked off, she still allowed the person access without a fuss.

We know she was involved with 2 Joes simultaneously, we don't know the second Joe, for all I know it was that 2nd Joe that showed up at 3:45.
          Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            If not Blotchy, then it's more likely in my view that she went out again and picked someone else up.
            Then for you Sam, the witnesses that claim they saw Mary after 11:45 pm Thursday need some consideration. That's not the case for me however, without her being seen leaving I will not just assume she did anyway.

I interpret an end to song, and light in the room, as bedtime. Considering she was very inebriated, its not a long shot in my opinion, and its what the evidence suggests.

Blotchy is the variable here, and Ill add this, who is to say that Wideawake wasn't actually Blotchy watching to see if she left after he did. I don't know when Blotchy leaves, but I do know he did leave at some point as an absolute fact...which makes the fact he wasn't seen doing so palatable.
            Michael Richards

Comment

I agree. It's a better option than the killer being aware of the hole in the window, and letting himself into the room. Speaking of which, a long time ago there was a heated discussion regarding whether the lock on Kelly's door incorporated a latch. If so, and Kelly had failed to drop the latch, then it was a simple matter to merely turn the knob in order to gain access to the room.

Comment

Actually Patrick I was saying that its highly unlikely anyone snuck in, the windows were locked when found and we have no information to say that they weren't in that condition when she arrived home,
                There were three dirty big holes in the window Michael. It didn't make a bite of difference whether they were locked or not.

and I'm saying that the cry out was in all likelihood Mary exclaiming her displeasure of having someone she knew arrive at 3:45am when she was sleeping off her bender.
                You're at it again Michael. No one heard a knock on Kelly's door, and Lewis was awake at the time. Also to suggest that Kelly used the words "oh murder" to express her displeasure at a late night visitor to me is ludicrous. To use the words "in all likelihood" to make this point is plain wrong.

Comment

Then for you Sam, the witnesses that claim they saw Mary after 11:45 pm Thursday need some consideration
                  Not if Blotchy was yer man, Michael, which I wouldn't rule out.
                  I interpret an end to song, and light in the room, as bedtime. Considering she was very inebriated, its not a long shot in my opinion, and its what the evidence suggests.
                  She was desperate for money, and - as a former drinker myself - it's quite easy to get a second wind and head out again after a nap. In my case, you'll be pleased to know, it wasn't prostitution, but a craving for munchies; booze doesn't half give you an appetite. Maybe it was the same for Kelly, too.

In that connection, we know from the Tabram case that there was a chandler's shop in Thrawl Street selling fish and chips until 2AM. I needn't remind folks which partially-digested food was found in Kelly's stomach.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                    yup. and possibly Barnett, or hutch, or bowyer, etc. or someone else that knew her that we don't.

I think the circumstances of that night show she and killer knew each other and that she wasn't going out again after blotchy(even if he wasn't her killer).

Comment

not mine. she was done for the night after blotchy even if he wasn't her killer and the circs seem to indicate her killer and her knew each other.

Comment

In that connection, we know from the Tabram case that there was a chandler's shop in Thrawl Street selling fish and chips until 2AM. I needn't remind folks which partially-digested food was found in Kelly's stomach.
                        And I needn't remind posters who allegedly spotted Kelly in that precise location at that particular time.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                          And I needn't remind posters who allegedly spotted Kelly in that precise location at that particular time.
                          if you say hutch I'm gonna puke

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                            If he'd said that he'd seen her eating from a bag of fish and chips, I'd be more inclined to believe him

I'm only half joking, by the way. A fish supper at approx 2AM would tally nicely with the food being partially digested if she'd been killed a couple of hours later.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

not mine. she was done for the night after blotchy even if he wasn't her killer and the circs seem to indicate her killer and her knew each other.
                              Hello Abby,

I agree that she and her killer probably knew each other but that can run the gamut from current or former lover to someone she just met earlier that day.

c.d.

Comment

To claim she knew her killer, does not quite jive with the idea that a burglar broke in to murder her.

That is an example of 'special pleading' at its worst
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X