Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any known physical descriptions of Kidney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Glenn,

I'm not saying that Kidney should be ruled out on the basis of the Schwartz sighting - that would be nonsense, for the reason you've outlined. But in terms of the extant evidence, the sketch of Kidney doesn't particularly mesh up with the Schwartz description. I'm not drawing any other conclusion beyond that.

Best regards,
    Ben

Comment

It seems logical to me Ben...

I am of course aware that Schwartz was not called at the inquest..

However the police on the ground were noones fools, the first thing they would have done was check kidney, who incidently claimed he new the identity of JtR.

The police had a witness, who saw something, who was most probably eventually used to ID Kosminski. If they had any doubt that Kidney may have committed the murder then they would have used him for an ID at that time.

Why if you had any doubt would you not use Schwartz? Are you saying the police were incompetent?

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
        Hi Glenn,

I'm not saying that Kidney should be ruled out on the basis of the Schwartz sighting - that would be nonsense, for the reason you've outlined. But in terms of the extant evidence, the sketch of Kidney doesn't particularly mesh up with the Schwartz description. I'm not drawing any other conclusion beyond that.

Best regards,
        Ben
        But my point is that the sketch is irrelevant, because the only thing in that skectch that is not totally fitting with schwartz's description is the zise of the moustach and as I tried to explain, witnesses have made much greater errors than that in their descriptions. The fact that Kidney's moustasch appears bigger than the one that Schwartz describes is really a very minor issue and not reliable enough in order to say that Kidney doesn't macth up with Schwartz's description.
        And again, we don't even know if Schwartz told the truth or the incident really occurred in the first place anyway.

All the best
        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
          It seems logical to me Ben...

I am of course aware that Schwartz was not called at the inquest..

However the police on the ground were noones fools, the first thing they would have done was check kidney, who incidently claimed he new the identity of JtR.

The police had a witness, who saw something, who was most probably eventually used to ID Kosminski. If they had any doubt that Kidney may have committed the murder then they would have used him for an ID at that time.

Why if you had any doubt would you not use Schwartz? Are you saying the police were incompetent?

Pirate
          This has been said many times, but I'll say it again.
          The police very early on linked the Stride murder to the Ripper, most certainly because of the discovery of a typcial Ripper murder fortyfive minutes later the same night. The press treated the Stride murder as a Ripper crime, which in turn can't have made it easier for the police to look in other directions.
          Although Swanson initially - and very vaguely - mentions that people in her personal circuits was checked out, it doesn't exclude the possibility that any trail involving Kidney was dropped prematurely because of the Eddowes murder and that they focused their investigation on the Ripper, not a domestic crime. On that basis I think the police made an error of judgment.

It shall also be noted that the reason for Schwartz not being called at the inquest was most likely language difficulties, and they probably figured it was enough that he signed his written statement.

Futhermore, there is no reason to assume that Schwartz was ther witness brought in to ID 'Kosminski'. Apart from Paul Begg's theorizing we have no credible indication pointing in this direction.
          Most likely it was Lawende who best 'saw the Ripper' and we also know that he was brought in to identify Sadler in connection with the Frances Coles murder, which was interpreted as a possible Ripper crime.

All the best

Comment

If they had any doubt that Kidney may have committed the murder then they would have used [Schwartz] for an ID at that time.
            Kidney wasn't charged or even held on suspicion, Jeff - I very much doubt that the police would have subjected him to an ID under such circumstances. His status was that of a bereaved lover, not a suspect.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Glenn,

I think my position on this issue can be summed up as follows:

Does the sketch of Kidney match Schwartz's description of the broad-shouldered attacker? No, the age and facial hair don't match at all.

Does that mean that Kidney was not the man seem by Schwartz? No, it doesn't entitle us to conclude that with confidence because witness statements can vary in reliability for reasons that you outline.

Notwithstaning other variables - including the possibility that Schwartz invented it - all I was really doing was addressing the original question raised by thewastelandr.

Best regards,
              Ben
              Last edited by Ben; 12-18-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                This has been said many times, but I'll say it again. The police very early on linked the Stride murder to the Ripper, most certainly because of the discovery of a typcial Ripper murder fortyfive minutes later the same night. The press treated the Stride murder as a Ripper crime, which in turn can't have made it easier for the police to look in other directions.
                Surely the police in 1888 had little experience of serial killers. Just because they thought it was a ripper attack does not mean they ingored the obvious like those closest to the victim. Whether they thought it a ripper attack or not the obvious person to check was kidney..perhaps he was the Ripper. I cant beleive that Swanson over looke him because he was looking for a person of Jewish appearance?

Although Swanson initially - and very vaguely - mentions that people in her personal circuits was checked out, it doesn't exclude the possibility that any trail involving Kidney was dropped prematurely because of the Eddowes murder and that they focused their investigation on the Ripper, not a domestic crime. On that basis I think the police made an error of judgment.
                As i have pointed out it would have been so easy to check, that the only conclusion is that they had already eliminated him.

It shall also be noted that the reason for Schwartz not being called at the inquest was most likely language difficulties, and they probably figured it was enough that he signed his written statement.

Futhermore, there is no reason to assume that Schwartz was ther witness brought in to ID 'Kosminski'. Apart from Paul Begg's theorizing we have no credible indication pointing in this direction.
                Most likely it was Lawende who best 'saw the Ripper' and we also know that he was brought in to identify Sadler in connection with the Frances Coles murder, which was interpreted as a possible Ripper crime.

All the best
                I'm not assuming anything, mearly pointing out that given what is known Schwartz is the most logical witness, as Lawenda would not have been called to identify Sadler if he had already ID'd Kosminski....Lawende is not a logical chioce......its that simple.

Pirate

PS Happy Xmas Glenn, hope you are well

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Kidney wasn't charged or even held on suspicion, Jeff - I very much doubt that the police would have subjected him to an ID under such circumstances. His status was that of a bereaved lover, not a suspect.
                  Your missing what I'm saying. The most obvious person to consider are the people closest to the victim especially if there is a histoy of violence.

The police had a witness which they choose not to use, and logic deictates to me that they choose not to because they were fairly certain it wasn't Kidney.

Perhaps his alibi simply checked out.

Pirate

Comment

. His status was that of a bereaved lover, not a suspect.
                    Hi Sam,

But even back then, didn't the police consider a husband or lover the number one suspect until proven otherwise?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                      Hi Sam,

But even back then, didn't the police consider a husband or lover the number one suspect until proven otherwise?

c.d.
                      Yes, but these were extraordinary circumstances and no doubt the police were under enormous pressure by the time of the double event. Again, the papers - who naturally liked all killings to one murderer and constantly created hell for the police - had a lot do with this.
                      I believe the Metropoliotan Police and SCotland Yard had little experience in how to handle these circumstances and how to handle the pressure. In this respect I see them as quite inexperienced and almost virgins.

All the best

Comment

Hi Glenn,

That may be true but all it took was one question -- "where were you last night, Michael?"

c.d.

Comment

Yes, but these were extraordinary circumstances and no doubt the police were under enormous pressure by the time of the double event. Again, the papers - who naturally liked all killings to one murderer and constantly created hell for the police - had a lot do with this.
                          I believe the Metropoliotan Police and SCotland Yard had little experience in how to handle these circumstances and how to handle the pressure. In this respect I see them as quite inexperienced and almost virgins.

All the best
                          While this is true, it dosnt make a logical arguement for not checking out Kidney.........what if he were the Ripper? Surely by your own logic the police would have stuck with what they new and understood...which leaves Kidney number one suspect whether they thought it a Ripper crime or not.

Pirate

Comment

Your missing what I'm saying. The most obvious person to consider are the people closest to the victim especially if there is a histoy of violence.
                            Indeed, Jeff - but you missed what I was saying. Kidney was neither charged nor held on suspicion, therefore the idea that Schwartz was brought in to ID him seems unlikely.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Indeed, CD - but see my point to Jeff, namely that Kidney appears not to have been charged nor held on suspicion.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Indeed, Jeff - but you missed what I was saying. Kidney was neither charged nor held on suspicion, therefore the idea that Schwartz was brought in to ID him seems unlikely.
                                Hi Sam,

If that was the case, we are pretty much left with just two conclusions: the polilce got an alibi from Kidney and verified it or they were complete idiots who couldn't pass policing 101.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X