Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by jerryd 46 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Michael W Richards 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - by DirectorDave 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Busy Beaver 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Herlock Sholmes 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (7 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,642
Default Occupants of 29 Hanbury Street

I thought I'd compile a list of all the occupants of 29 Hanbury Street at the time of Annie Chapman's murder. As usual, any corrections, comments or extra info appreciated.

Cellar: workshop used by Mrs Amelia Richardson (official tenant, subletting the rest of the building) for making packing cases.

Ground floor front room: used as a shop selling catsmeat run by Mrs Hardiman

Ground floor rear room: living space for Mrs Hardiman and her son.

First floor front: Mrs Richardson and her grandson.*

First floor rear: Mr Walker, maker of tennis shoes, and his son.

Second floor front: Mr Robert Thompson, a carman, with his wife and daughter

Second floor rear: Two unmarried sisters. **

Third floor front: John Davis, finder of Annie's body, with his wife & family.

Third floor rear: Mrs Sarah Cox, an old lady, kept out of charity (i.e. rent-free, presumably)


* I've got the grandson's name as Thomas Richardson, which makes sense to me, but just found a reference in Lloyds Weekly 9th Sept which names him differently;
"Meantime Mrs. Richardson, an old lady sleeping on the first floor front, was aroused by her grandson, Charles Cooksley, who looked out of one of the back windows and screamed that there was a dead body in the corner."

** I've always pictured the unmarried sisters (on no evidence whatsoever) as middle aged spinsters, but Lloyds (again) contains the following reference;
"Two girls, who also live in the house, were talking in the passage until half-past 12 with young men, and it is believed that they were the last occupants of the house to retire to rest."
Are these the sisters, or perhaps the daughters of Davis and/or Thompson? Surely not two ladies bringing men there for immoral purposes...?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I thought I'd compile a list of all the occupants of 29 Hanbury Street at the time of Annie Chapman's murder. As usual, any corrections, comments or extra info appreciated.

Cellar: workshop used by Mrs Amelia Richardson (official tenant, subletting the rest of the building) for making packing cases.

Ground floor front room: used as a shop selling catsmeat run by Mrs Hardiman

Ground floor rear room: living space for Mrs Hardiman and her son.

First floor front: Mrs Richardson and her grandson.*

First floor rear: Mr Walker, maker of tennis shoes, and his son.

Second floor front: Mr Robert Thompson, a carman, with his wife and daughter

Second floor rear: Two unmarried sisters. **

Third floor front: John Davis, finder of Annie's body, with his wife & family.

Third floor rear: Mrs Sarah Cox, an old lady, kept out of charity (i.e. rent-free, presumably)


* I've got the grandson's name as Thomas Richardson, which makes sense to me, but just found a reference in Lloyds Weekly 9th Sept which names him differently;
"Meantime Mrs. Richardson, an old lady sleeping on the first floor front, was aroused by her grandson, Charles Cooksley, who looked out of one of the back windows and screamed that there was a dead body in the corner."

** I've always pictured the unmarried sisters (on no evidence whatsoever) as middle aged spinsters, but Lloyds (again) contains the following reference;
"Two girls, who also live in the house, were talking in the passage until half-past 12 with young men, and it is believed that they were the last occupants of the house to retire to rest."
Are these the sisters, or perhaps the daughters of Davis and/or Thompson? Surely not two ladies bringing men there for immoral purposes...?
Josh,

I recall reading that there were 17 people living in that dwelling at the time of the murder, the number above doesn't seem to match that.

Was your info from the census?
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Josh,

I recall reading that there were 17 people living in that dwelling at the time of the murder, the number above doesn't seem to match that.

Was your info from the census?
Hi Mike,
I just pieced the details together from various press reports.

It might not be quite 17 occupants, but it can't be far off. Let's see....I make it 14 including Davis and his wife, plus their unspecified number of children. Three kids doesn't sound unreasonable, but it would be nice to confirm it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:13 PM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Hi Mike,
I just pieced the details together from various press reports.

It might not be quite 17 occupants, but it can't be far off. Let's see....I make it 14 including Davis and his wife, plus their unspecified number of children. Three kids doesn't sound unreasonable, but it would be nice to confirm it.

Hi Joshua and Michael,

Davis had four children but looking at their ages I bet at least 2 of them were out of the house (due to their ages) in 1888, leaving 2. Unconfirmed at this point, of course. Also, William Hardiman was living in the house with his mother, Harriet. James Hardiman was a regular, but not sure he was counted as an occupant for Hanbury Street in 1888. He was actually living close by, in Heneage Street at the time but shows up in the 1891 census at 29, Hanbury Street.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,642
Default

Cheers Jerry! I don't suppose you have any names for the Davis clan? I was going to say offspring there, but I suppose "family" could technically refer to his mother-in-law, great uncle Fred or even grandchildren if his kids were old enough.

If William was living with his mother Harriet, what relation was James Hardiman?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM
jerryd jerryd is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Cheers Jerry! I don't suppose you have any names for the Davis clan? I was going to say offspring there, but I suppose "family" could technically refer to his mother-in-law, great uncle Fred or even grandchildren if his kids were old enough.

If William was living with his mother Harriet, what relation was James Hardiman?
Joshua,

As far as names, I looked here. http://www.casebook.org/witnesses/w/John_Davis.html

William and James Hardiman were brothers. Rob Hills wrote a nice dissertation here called Cat's Cradle. His suspect is James Hardiman and he has some very valid reasons to suspect him. He also suspects Hardiman had an accomplice by the name of George Morris, the Kearly and Tonge Night Watchman.

Interestingly enough, Mrs Hardiman allegedly received a letter from an unknown writer in Mile End that explained to her his ideas about the Buck's Row murder, not the Chapman murder (She confirmed receipt of the letter to a news reporter). Specifically the letter stated that Polly Nicholls was made tipsy, murdered and then carried to the murder spot. Another letter also arrived shortly after the double event that was addressed to Jack the Ripper (IIRC) and stated the writer was a colleague of his. Something to that effect, anyways. The letter was addressed to 29, Hanbury Street.

Last edited by jerryd : 05-05-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,719
Default

Hi JR

Some extra details I have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Ground floor rear room: living space for Mrs Hardiman and her son.
Amelia Richardson used this back, ground floor room for prayer meetings.
There was a meeting held in that room the night before the murder.
Mrs Richardson`s grandson and Mrs Hardiman`s son were going to sleep in that room Friday night but were creeped out by something and decided not to do so.

Quote:
First floor rear: Mr Walker, maker of tennis shoes, and his son.
James Walker 65yrs old, and his son, 31 year old, Alfred.

Quote:
Third floor rear: Mrs Sarah Cox, an old lady, kept out of charity (i.e. rent-free, presumably)
Name was actually Wilcox.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Amelia Richardson used this back, ground floor room for prayer meetings.
There was a meeting held in that room the night before the murder.
Mrs Richardson`s grandson and Mrs Hardiman`s son were going to sleep in that room Friday night but were creeped out by something and decided not to do so.
Thanks Jon!
I've not read about anyone being freaked out about the back room, do you know the source? The only thing I've read (so far) is that it was locked up at 9:30pm and still locked the next morning.
Mrs Richardson by her own words only rented "half the house" so didn't sublet to the other tenants - bedrom, basement workshop and yard, and the ground floor rear room which was used as a kitchen. Her Friday prayer meetings were held either in that room or the bedroom, depending on which paper you believe.


Quote:
James Walker 65yrs old, and his son, 31 year old, Alfred.
Walker's son was said to be weak-minded but harmless.

Quote:
Name was actually Wilcox.
That could have been my fault....I may have been listening to the radio whilst typing.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Thanks Jon!
I've not read about anyone being freaked out about the back room, do you know the source? The only thing I've read (so far) is that it was locked up at 9:30pm and still locked the next morning.
Mrs Richardson by her own words only rented "half the house" so didn't sublet to the other tenants - bedrom, basement workshop and yard, and the ground floor rear room which was used as a kitchen. Her Friday prayer meetings were held either in that room or the bedroom, depending on which paper you believe.




Walker's son was said to be weak-minded but harmless.



That could have been my fault....I may have been listening to the radio whilst typing.
Hi JR

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."
Echo 10th Sept 88

I`ve never been able to trace a Mrs Cox living at 29 Hanbury Street, but in either the 1881 or 1891 census there is an old lady called Sarah Wilcox (who I assume to be our Mrs Cox)


Robert Thomson is the resident with the least info about him.
Do you have any details on him ?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Hi JR

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."
Echo 10th Sept 88
A few random observations following on from the above:

It would have been invaluable for the killer of Chapman to know that the room six feet away was unoccupied on that particular night. If the door was locked from the outside, someone was in possession of the key. The fact that the door was locked in the morning does not preclude the possibility of its being opened and re-locked during the night. Could the cellar only be accessed from the yard or was there an internal access also - if so where was it?
__________________
Regards, Bridewell.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.