No announcement yet.

Mary Jane Kelly found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF she had been in the West End 15 or 20 years earlier. At this point it is pure speculation. The earliest we have any inkling of MJK being in London is 1884. Hair styles of 1884 would have something looked like these.

Historic photos, place-based, landscape analysis, Vermont, University of Vermont, UVM, education, conservation

Do you ever do Victorian hairstyles? I regularly wear several different eras of clothing with the LVP being one of my favorites. Between pins and combs to keep everything in place plus pomades for body and curling irons for....well, curls- you need some disposable income to keep a fancy hairdo going.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
      Hello Penhallion

I think an over the top hairstyle is just what a lady of the night would aspire to. She had worked in a West End brothel where she would have been expected to dress up. To me the hair looks dressed, one of the saddest things about the photograph, the carefully styled hair above the dreadful face. Nevertheless it is a matter of opinion.

Best wishes
      C4
      In all this time of studying that picture I have never ever noticed that hairstyle. Wow. Thank you for pointing this out.

Comment

• Surely Mary wouldn't have plaited her hair before going to bed if she was..um ..entertaining? I do think she may have had a strong wave in her hair.

I've seen many Victorian photos and a common hairstyle in the 1880's does seem to have been a mid parting with or without a fringe (fringes were sometimes frizzled but I don't think Mary would have had the curling irons to do that) with a plaited bun or looser figure of eight bun at the nape of the neck. I think if she was relaxing at night her long hair would be flowing over her shoulders. Women were so used to putting their hair up and taking it down from their mid-teens onwards that it would only have taken a few minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
          Surely Mary wouldn't have plaited her hair before going to bed if she was..um ..entertaining? I do think she may have had a strong wave in her hair.

I've seen many Victorian photos and a common hairstyle in the 1880's does seem to have been a mid parting with or without a fringe (fringes were sometimes frizzled but I don't think Mary would have had the curling irons to do that) with a plaited bun or looser figure of eight bun at the nape of the neck. I think if she was relaxing at night her long hair would be flowing over her shoulders. Women were so used to putting their hair up and taking it down from their mid-teens onwards that it would only have taken a few minutes.
          Hello Rosella

Just to be clear, I meant the way she wore her hair in ringlet-like curls above her forehead, not the whole velvet plaits and flowers thing. I think her hair must have been contained somehow, otherwise there would be bloodied hair all over the place. There were cuts to the sheet, implying that she had pulled it over her head when the attack started, but whether she woke up, or was still awake to see her customer/friend turn from charmer to devil-possessed is impossible to say. Either way if she was drunk she probably left her hair the way it was.

Best wishes
          C4,

Comment

• Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
            IF she had been in the West End 15 or 20 years earlier. At this point it is pure speculation. The earliest we have any inkling of MJK being in London is 1884. Hair styles of 1884 would have something looked like these.

Historic photos, place-based, landscape analysis, Vermont, University of Vermont, UVM, education, conservation

Do you ever do Victorian hairstyles? I regularly wear several different eras of clothing with the LVP being one of my favorites. Between pins and combs to keep everything in place plus pomades for body and curling irons for....well, curls- you need some disposable income to keep a fancy hairdo going.
            Hello Penhalion

No, sadly my hair doesn't lend itself to complicated hairstyles being very fine. Yes, speculation, but it is a pretty good guess that she lied about her age and very probably about when she came to London. It has always puzzled me how she managed to fit so much into just a few years.

I think the row of ringlet-like curls above her forehead could be achieved with rags. Not too hard to achieve and that is what I am talking about, not the full style with velvet plaits and flowers. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Best wishes
            C4

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
              In all this time of studying that picture I have never ever noticed that hairstyle. Wow. Thank you for pointing this out.
              Hello Beowulf,

You're welcome. A female view of things can be useful sometimes :-).

Best wishes
              C4

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Now you want to use common sense.
                Mile end was the same direction as her usual lodging only further I think.Maybe a visit to her sister in thrawl street? May have been the best option
                You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Working...
                X