'oh Murder'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'oh Murder'

Just out of curiosity, if there was a cry of 'oh murder' on the night of MJK's death, why did no one take it more seriously?

They say because they heard the phrase all the time and they paid little attention. But hang on were the female inhabitants of the east end not fearing for their safety, the press made sure of that, and reported that that was the general feeling during the Autumn of terror.

There is a serial killer on their doorstep, pretty much, and they do not think that maybe someone might be in trouble, seems a bit strange if you ask me

I don't know about you, but if some knife-wielding maniac attacked me in my chamber, I doubt the first thing I'd cry is 'Oh murder!'

Comment

What would you cry, Harry ? I wanna know !

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        I don't know about you, but if some knife-wielding maniac attacked me in my chamber, I doubt the first thing I'd cry is 'Oh murder!'
        You are absolutely right in that, the victim would not cry 'oh murder' they would cry an expletive at the very least, but what if the murder had been observed by someone, it would be worth investigating if you heard the cry

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
          You are absolutely right in that, the victim would not cry 'oh murder'
          Hi Natasha,

Then your question is answered.

Comment

perspective

Hello Harry. Permit me to suggest that your cry would be conditioned by your 21st C perspective. Perhaps it was more common in the 19th C?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

So what you saying?

There was no cry just an exaggeration for the press?

Why would no1 investigate a cry like that if there was?

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                Hi Natasha,

Then your question is answered.
                So what you saying?

The cry was just an exaggeration for the press?

Why would no1 investigate a cry like that in the 'autumn of terror'?

Comment

respite

Hello Natasha. It seems that the "Autumn of Terror" was in the midst of a near six week respite.

Besides, we all know about the boy who cried "Wolf".

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Natasha. It seems that the "Autumn of Terror" was in the midst of a near six week respite.

Besides, we all know about the boy who cried "Wolf".

Cheers.
                    LC
                    I would still be scared knowing that the killer was still out there

There was a lot of crime tho' and I guess most people just didn't want to get caught up in it

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      What would you cry, Harry ? I wanna know !
                      Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but I'd imagine 'Nooo!' or 'Help!' would be my initial reaction. I don't know... I have a hard time imagining that even some wealthy 19th century dowager would cry 'Oh murder!' if she was attacked in her home, let alone a harlot living in the ass-end of London.

Comment

used

Hello Natasha. Thanks.

That's true. And also, they were used to such screams.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

It would appear that "Oh Murder" was a common exclamation or expression of surprise back in the LVP - a bit similar to "Bloody Hell" or "Oh ****" in later times

I suspect someone being surprised by a knife wielding killer might only get time, if they were lucky, for a scream...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
                            So what you saying?

The cry was just an exaggeration for the press?
                            No, Natasha, I'm merely saying that "Oh murder !" was a common cry at the time and didn't necessarily mean somebody was being murdered - far from it. Cadosh is the only man to have "heard" a Ripper murder, actually. And he never heard such a cry. Not to say that Kelly's last word wasn't this "Murder !" - it's possible, if not likely, since two witnesses suggested so. Three, if you add Diddles.

All the best

Comment

Could it have been aargh, murder?

Comment

Working...
                              X