Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speech impediment/false teeth

Hello all,

On a previous thread, the subject of Mary possibly having a speech impediment came up. I pointed out that this would make Mary verbally recognisable, not just visibly. If one imagines Mary in a room, a pub, one would hear her without having to turn to see her, for example.

What I also notice is Mrs Elizabth Pheonix's statement that Mary had two large false teeth that protruded greatly from her mouth.

This statement, according to Casebook, is described as "albeit dubious".

However, putting the two statements together... the false teeth and the speech impediment, could it be that Mary's description from Mrs Pheonix was perhaps more accurate that at first thought?

Here is the entire posting of Mrs Pheonix on Casebook..

Elizabeth Phoenix

Informant and sister-in-law of Mrs. Carthy.

Mrs Phoenix of 157 Bow Common Lane, Bow, went to Leman Street Police Station on 11th November 1888 and stated that from the published descriptions of Mary Jane Kelly she was sure that the deceased had formerly resided at her brother-in-law's house in Breezer's Hill three years previously (ie c.1885).

She described Kelly as being about 5ft 7in tall, rather stout, with blue eyes and hair that reached almost to her waist. She also believed that Kelly's parents had discarded her[1]. Other information given by Mrs Phoenix furnished the press with further (albeit dubious) details:

"At that time she gave her name as Mary Jane Kelly, and stated that she was about 22 years of age, so that her age at the present time would be about 25 years. There was, it seems, some difficulty in establishing her nationality. She stated first that she was Welsh, and that her parents, who had discarded her, still resided at Cardiff, whence she came to London. On other occasions, however, she declared that she was Irish. She is described as being very quarrelsome and abusive when intoxicated, but "one of the most decent and nicest girls" when sober. About two years ago she left Breezers-hill and removed to Commercial-road, from which quarter she had been reported to Mrs. Phœnix as leading an immoral life in the vicinity of Aldgate. She had two false teeth which projected very much from the lips. When living at Breezers-hill, she stated to Mrs. Phœnix that she had a child aged two years, but Mrs. Phœnix never saw it. At that time the deceased had a friend known as Lizzie Williams. Mrs. Phœnix is confident the deceased is the woman to whom she refers, although she has not seen her since she left the neighbourhood of the London Docks, where she was well known."[2]

Mrs Phoenix's statements led the press to trace Mrs. Carthy and subsequent interviews supported claims by Joseph Barnett that Kelly had worked in the West End of London.[3]
    [edit]
    References

1. ↑ Western Mail, 12th November 1888
    2. ↑ Morning Advertiser, 12th November 1888
    3. ↑ The Jack the Ripper A-Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, Keith Skinner (Headline 1996)

I do not know any of this to be true or not. I welcome any thoughts and comments.
    IF Mrs Pheonix's description and statement is correct, then the child she had was two years old at the time of her knowing Mary. This would then seemingly match, would it not, the age of the child in 1888 given by others regarding the supposed child?

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello all,

On a previous thread, the subject of Mary possibly having a speech impediment came up. I pointed out that this would make Mary verbally recognisable, not just visibly. If one imagines Mary in a room, a pub, one would hear her without having to turn to see her, for example.

What I also notice is Mrs Elizabth Pheonix's statement that Mary had two large false teeth that protruded greatly from her mouth.

This statement, according to Casebook, is described as "albeit dubious".

However, putting the two statements together... the false teeth and the speech impediment, could it be that Mary's description from Mrs Pheonix was perhaps more accurate that at first thought?

Here is the entire posting of Mrs Pheonix on Casebook..

Elizabeth Phoenix

Informant and sister-in-law of Mrs. Carthy.

Mrs Phoenix of 157 Bow Common Lane, Bow, went to Leman Street Police Station on 11th November 1888 and stated that from the published descriptions of Mary Jane Kelly she was sure that the deceased had formerly resided at her brother-in-law's house in Breezer's Hill three years previously (ie c.1885).

She described Kelly as being about 5ft 7in tall, rather stout, with blue eyes and hair that reached almost to her waist. She also believed that Kelly's parents had discarded her[1]. Other information given by Mrs Phoenix furnished the press with further (albeit dubious) details:

"At that time she gave her name as Mary Jane Kelly, and stated that she was about 22 years of age, so that her age at the present time would be about 25 years. There was, it seems, some difficulty in establishing her nationality. She stated first that she was Welsh, and that her parents, who had discarded her, still resided at Cardiff, whence she came to London. On other occasions, however, she declared that she was Irish. She is described as being very quarrelsome and abusive when intoxicated, but "one of the most decent and nicest girls" when sober. About two years ago she left Breezers-hill and removed to Commercial-road, from which quarter she had been reported to Mrs. Phœnix as leading an immoral life in the vicinity of Aldgate. She had two false teeth which projected very much from the lips. When living at Breezers-hill, she stated to Mrs. Phœnix that she had a child aged two years, but Mrs. Phœnix never saw it. At that time the deceased had a friend known as Lizzie Williams. Mrs. Phœnix is confident the deceased is the woman to whom she refers, although she has not seen her since she left the neighbourhood of the London Docks, where she was well known."[2]

Mrs Phoenix's statements led the press to trace Mrs. Carthy and subsequent interviews supported claims by Joseph Barnett that Kelly had worked in the West End of London.[3]
    [edit]
    References

1. ↑ Western Mail, 12th November 1888
    2. ↑ Morning Advertiser, 12th November 1888
    3. ↑ The Jack the Ripper A-Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, Keith Skinner (Headline 1996)

I do not know any of this to be true or not. I welcome any thoughts and comments.
    IF Mrs Pheonix's description and statement is correct, then the child she had was two years old at the time of her knowing Mary. This would then seemingly match, would it not, the age of the child in 1888 given by others regarding the supposed child?

best wishes

Phil
    Why would the false teeth not have been mentioned somewhere else? Perhaps the inquest? Isn't that where it would have been appropriate?

curious

Comment

Some details such as the teeth or the child look dubious, but since I have little doubt that Mrs Carthy's story, following that of Mrs Phoenix, refers to the Dorset Street victim, Mrs Phoenix must have known our Mary too.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, curious, the coroners reports mention nothing about false teeth!

And having only two false teeth at the time could have been an expensive thing to pay to a probable working-class girl, not to mention one ending up to prostitution!

So, maybe she had got a strange shape to her mouth in a fight/accident?!

If this was the case, the search for "real Mary" could have a new turn... or then not!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
          Hello you all!

And having only two false teeth at the time could have been an expensive thing to pay to a probable working-class girl, not to mention one ending up to prostitution!

So, maybe she had got a strange shape to her mouth in a fight/accident?!

If this was the case, the search for "real Mary" could have a new turn... or then not!

All the best
          Jukka

It seems to me that IF Mary Jane did have two prominent false teeth then:

1. her killer took them as trophies (ugh!)

2. It wasn't Mary Jane in the room.

other possibilities. . . .?

curious

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
            I don't think MJK's teeth were mentioned in the post mortem notes full stop were they? Unlike Polly, Annie and Liz, where the condition of their teeth was mentioned.

Comment

Hello Debs,

No, I don't think they were.
              Here's something I have only just noticed...

It's from the Echo, 10th November 1888

Dr. G.B. Phillips, the divisional surgeon of the H Division, whose reticence is justified by an assurance he gave of secrecy, has copious notes of the result of the post-mortem examination, and with nearly every conclusion at which he has arrived. Dr. Thomas Bond, of Westminster, a well-known expert on crimes of violence, agrees. Dr. Phillips has only vaguely indicated to the local police the result of his investigations, but a report on the question has, it has been asserted, been jointly made by him and Dr. Bond, and submitted to Sir Charles Warren. It is believed to be the medical opinion hat the woman was killed in her sleep, or while in a partially comatose condition arising from drink.

Umm, if this is supposedly the report that turned up in 1987... it certainly ISN'T a joint venture....

best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post

curious
                Or 3. She was talking about a different Mary Jane altogether. There would have been a whole bunch of Mary Jane Kellys living in that area at that time, and probably more than a few of them came from Ireland via Wales. This might be the reason for the confusion about the child. The kid is never mentioned by Barnett, who we know for sure lived with this Mary Jane. The description is common enough. Tallish, plump-ish, drink-ish. The long hair would have been beyond common, so not as much of a pointer as it would be now. No way they could have identified MJK from the mess the killer left. Barnett himself could only identify her by the hair and the ears. So I think it's highly probable that the Mary Jane known by Mesdames Carthy and Phoenix may not have been the Mary Jane known by Barnett and Hervey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
                  Or 3. She was talking about a different Mary Jane altogether. There would have been a whole bunch of Mary Jane Kellys living in that area at that time, and probably more than a few of them came from Ireland via Wales. This might be the reason for the confusion about the child. The kid is never mentioned by Barnett, who we know for sure lived with this Mary Jane. The description is common enough. Tallish, plump-ish, drink-ish. The long hair would have been beyond common, so not as much of a pointer as it would be now. No way they could have identified MJK from the mess the killer left. Barnett himself could only identify her by the hair and the ears. So I think it's highly probable that the Mary Jane known by Mesdames Carthy and Phoenix may not have been the Mary Jane known by Barnett and Hervey...
                  good point

Don't know that she could have sung much around those teeth.

Comment

Hello curious

Originally posted by curious View Post

curious

1. In that case the thing would have been mentioned in the post-mortem!

2. MJK was 5'7". So, the stand-in should have been as tall as an average VLP male!

And like Debs said, the teeth are not mentioned in the post mortem. Thinking logically, this probably means, that there was nothing wrong with her teeth...

All the best
                    Jukka

And PS: there really were many Mary Kellys in the East End...
                    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                    X