No announcement yet.

EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• btw, "Brexit the Movie - a Swiss Reply" deals with the fact that the movie never really explained the relationship that Switzerland has with the EU and why they believe that this relationship is beneficial to the swiss economy.

Brexit the movie portrays Switzerland as a possible model to follow for the UK after it leaves the EU. But to make an informed decision, you of course have t...

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
      He's taken an axe to the EU tree - that's good enough for me.
      ... and then isn't concerned with making sure that the falling tree won't hit the house.

Comment

• The tree will probably fall eastwards - that's the way the EU is moving at present.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
          The silence is deafening.

So where have all the Brexit politicians gone, just when the country needs them? Hmmm...

Love,

Caz
          X

Well,, without wishing to sound sexist, they've enjoyed the party but left the women to do the clearing up!

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
            Hear hear, Julie.

I find it ironic that the Brexit voters don't trust European politicians (who included the British ones) an inch, yet they have put their trust in an absolute shower who clearly had no clue how they would steer our country forward, and have no clue now.

Abandon ship, captain first, women and children last.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Lovely to agree on this Caz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
              I don't see this as a problem. After all, every member state gets a set of regulation that they KNOW are valid in all other countries as well. Simple example: I want to buy fire-proof furniture. Fire-proof according to my understanding and according to the laws of the country that I live in. So this means that when I look at a sofa from Italy, I don't want to have to just take their word for it. I want to know that this is according to a BSI standard. And since I can not expect the BSI to certify Sofas from Italy, an EU certification is the next best thing. Otherwise, I don't think that Italian Sofas should be sold in the UK as I can't be sure that they are fire-proof. for my own piece of mind and also for my insurance. If my house burns down, I don't want the insurance company to be able to turn around and refuse paying up because I had furniture that was not sufficiently fire-proof. So a true single-market can only work when all goods and services produced in that single-market adhere to certain minimum standards. So the benefit of this system is that all member countries can fully trust the Goods and services of all partners within the Single Market.
              All this(or most of it) can be done outwith the EU political project. After all there are plenty of free trade agreements between states; agreements where most of this is ironed out. Our tyre standards have to meet those of the Germans; French widgets need to be standardised with ours. We know all this. Most of this can be worked out without infringing on state sovereignty.

Comment

• Sure it can be done with 27 bilateral agreements (times 27 for each of the 28 countries) but it would be soooooooooo much easier and convenient if there was one body controlling all of it centrally... besides, there is no guarantee that the agreement with Spain will end up being the same as the one for France. So will we then have one product for Spain and then a slightly different one for France? Very uneconomical...

And I don't accept that a body standardising food-labelling across 27 countries is an "infringement of sovereignty". It's called cooperation.
                Last edited by Svensson; 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Svensson

You're dead right, Juncker is nothing like a British civil servant. British civil servants are supposed to be neutral. I realise there is a big difference between theory and practice, but Juncker is in a different league entirely.

The thing is that I accept that there shouldn't be an "absolute democracy" (otherwise, if the people are consulted on every single decision

I was reading this and expecting you to continue with something like 'then everything would be up in the air all the time, and nothing would ever get done.' But instead :

we would basically just have mob rule)

Oh, I so agree. We can't have the Great Unwashed getting above their betters.

If what you are arguing is that the EU cannot function democratically and effectively without becoming a superstate - a United States of Europe - then I agree. In fact, it was clear back in 1975 that this would be the case. It is inevitable. Leave campaigners warned the public then that this would be the case. They were denounced as fascists and communists by the remainers, who swore that the idea of a superstate had never entered their heads. The precondition of course is that if the EU is to be a democratic superstate, its citizens must actually want this. We know the majority of the British don't, and I suspect the same holds true for many of the remaining countries. I would hope that there would be simultaneous referendums in all the remaining countries to see if these countries want such a superstate.
                  OK, so it's apparent that I was grappling with this one for a while...

The superstate is a concept that is realistically dead since the "European Constitution" failed to get popular support in the first two referendums in Denmark and the Netherlands in 1992. Since then, much has been attempted without the structure of a superstate but there are limits of what can be done (i.e. Euro, common foreign policy with regards to Russia or Refugee crisis, etc). It is likely that the EU have reached the limits and that further integration is simply not possible. But I think this is just another reason to consolidate the single market and work on product safety, standardisation (within the current limits), continue to work on environmental issues and cross-border health projects rather than running away from it all.

Comment

I don't think one can expect Nigel to carry on, now that after years of work he's achieved his main purpose, especially with the death threats.
                    Well he said he had "done his bit", which puzzled me and made me wonder which "bit", but I'm mighty glad he's done with the death threats. Ah, I see what you meant.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

...rather than running away from it all.
                      Unfortunate choice of words there, Svensson.

I wonder what the glass-half-empty folk will do, and who they will run to, if and when their daily lives don't miraculously change for the better after all.

At least I can already see the silver lining. They'll always have their favourite national pastime to fall back on - moaning for England.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I don't think one can expect Nigel to carry on, now that after years of work he's achieved his main purpose, especially with the death threats.

As for the others, they are not and never were true Brexiters - if they were, they would not be members of a Vichy party.
                        I think it could be argued that Nigel Farage is a political extremist who, apparently, in agreement with his favourite economist, would be prepared to accept the elimination of British manufacturing industry as a price for leaving the EU. I wonder how many manufacturing industry workers and their families, in say the North and Midlands, who may have voted for Brexit and UKIP, are aware of this. See: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...w-neil-brexit/

Comment

• Great. We now have a circus clown for a foreign secretary. The public humiliation shows no end...

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                            I think it could be argued that Nigel Farage is a political extremist who, apparently, in agreement with his favourite economist, would be prepared to accept the elimination of British manufacturing industry as a price for leaving the EU. I wonder how many manufacturing industry workers and their families, in say the North and Midlands, who may have voted for Brexit and UKIP, are aware of this. See: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06...w-neil-brexit/
                            Just nonsense, absolute nonsense.

I shouldn't really have to say this but you need this sort of caveat to prevent the "RACIST" accusations. I've never voted for UKIP and never will do.

Farage is not an extremist. He's a died-in-the-wool conservative who dreams of rural England, warm beer, cricket, localised power - that sort of thing.

And, maybe, just maybe, no one was convinced by Farage in the 'industrial North'. What? Do you think we need our eyes opening to what has been going on for a long time?

Farage will never, ever be one of us, because he's from a different world - a sort of shire conservative - and he certainly didn't open anyone's eyes.

This is just more of the condescending attitude that you people have towards the Working Classes - we're all so stupid that we're sheep being led 'round the block - you couldn't possibly conceive of a situation where actually we're just sick and tired of the pricks and one lot of politicians is bad enough but another lot on top with four presidents and paying themselves a special rate of lower income tax that us mere serfs are not afforded, and being paid a small fortune to draw up regulations about pillow cases and tooth brushes at our expense; is simply beyond the pale.

And they're not trusted, none of them. A lot of people up here voted out of a sense of '**** you' to all of the politicians. Better to have one lot of politicians than two. More manageable.

Comment

Great. We now have a circus clown for a foreign secretary. The public humiliation shows no end...
                              Time will tell.

He doesn't look the part granted, and at times doesn't act the part.

And, I must say at this point that I'm not a conservative so have no horse in that particular race.

But, God knows we've tried all of the slick, spin doctor types - so why not have someone not cut from the same cloth? Or are you easily impressed by a few choice words and a sharp fitting suit?

Comment

• Oh yes! Boris for Foreign Sec'y! I can only imagine the expression on Merkel and Juncker's faces!
                                - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                                X