No announcement yet.

Her Last Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there were in fact plenty of possibilities to spend some time drinking and then set off again. Unfortunately, she was broke that night and also would have been seen by somebody if she had frequented a public house. But supposedly nobody saw her at all.
    In heaven I am a wild ox
    On earth I am a lion
    A jester from hell and shadows almighty
    The scientist of darkness
    Older than the constellations
    The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

It would have been near three a.m. if she went up that way , the pubs would have been shut, and traffic would have been thin.

Comment

Very thin, indeed, Jon,

Only carmen without carts.
        Polly was a bit far from her lodgings, which suggests that she could have met the murderer earlier, and had - perhaps - an appointment.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          Apparently my sense of humour is too subtle for some of you.
          Hi GM,

that time, for once, I got you.
          Excellent!

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

even at that time of night, it strikes me as a little awkward that a woman like Polly who may have been considered somewhat of a notorious character could disappear for about an hour.

Same case with Annie Chapman for an even longer period of time, though that is not the subject here.
            In heaven I am a wild ox
            On earth I am a lion

Comment

Walking East, she passed Great Garden St. Here was the Dolphin pub
              Click image for larger version

Name:	greatorexold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	656907

A little further along, St. Marys Whitechapel station was on the south side of the street.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	stmary1916.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	656908

But we don't know her route, or when she met the man for an assignation.
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

how many possible routes to Buck's Row are there? I remember, about 3 or 4?
                In heaven I am a wild ox
                On earth I am a lion

Comment

quick question when polly was last seen at the corner of Osborne Street,she is not to far fom her lodging house in Thrawl St,although not a long walk to Bucks Row why did she not stay in the area nearer to home to try and get some business.Would it have been busier further east or was it just a 'drunken' walk?

Dixon9
                  still learning

Comment

Dixon9,

Most prositues have their favourite areas ands usually work off side street to main thoroughfares. Kellys is rumoured to be around Leman Street, Eddowes Aldgate. Its possible that Nichols chose east simply because she may have had regulars in that area.

Something has hit me. Its regarding Whitechapel station. In 2005 I was waiting outside Kings Cross Train Station for a friend. I was propositioned twice (yeah, yeah, I must look like that kinda guy). Again, waiting for a friend in 2007, though I wasnt the target this time, I noted a girl wandering up to various men.

The time of Nichols murder goes against this theory I guess, well there no guess about it really, however it does make one think.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

cheers monty

so it is probably a case of she thought it would be easier to get 'trade' from regulars

Comment

Hello

Speculation of course, but I have always wondered whether Polly was resigned to the fact that she would not get her doss money in time for a bed, and was making her way to somewhere she could have crashed out, such as with the guys working the night shift in Winthrop St.

Comment

I've always wondered how, and why, she managed to walk so far that night. When Holland saw her at the end of Osborn Street, she was already "staggering". That's a fair walk even if she'd been sober.

Comment

Grave

She had nigh on an hour to get there, which was ample time in my humble opinion.

Also, her conversation with Holland seemed lucid...just.

Monty
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Speculation of course, but I have always wondered whether Polly was resigned to the fact that she would not get her doss money in time for a bed, and was making her way to somewhere she could have crashed out, such as with the guys working the night shift in Winthrop St.-- Jon Guy

Good thinking, in my view, JG...and it might be worth considering that Nichols didn't meet anyone intentionally on her jaunt down Bucks Row...but that someone accosted her...either while walking or even while resting for a moment near the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
                                why did she not stay in the area nearer to home
                                ... assuming she had a "home" to speak of, that is. Apart from being a transient unfortunate, Nichols was only a comparatively recent arrival in Whitechapel. I'd suggest that, for people in Polly's situation, the concept of "home" would have been somewhat different to how we perceive it today. Such a difference in perception is revealed, perhaps, by the plight of John Kellly and Catherine Eddowes who - almost certainly not for the first time - ended up sleeping in different parts of town on their return from hopping; Kelly at the lodging-house, Kate heading off to the Casual Ward at Mile End.

Bearing the latter in mind, is it possible that Polly Nichols had had the same idea, hence her closer proximity to Mile End at the time of her death?
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X