Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drunkenness

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
    ...If Tabrum was stabbed by a drunken soldier, there would have been some noise, drunks cannot control their movements or sound.
    ...Miss Marple
    A rather sweeping statement. I have arrested dozens of drunks over the years. Indeed, as police officers the courts recognised us as expert witnesses on drunkenness and we were thus allowed to give evidence to prove an offender was drunk. There are various degrees of drunkenness, it affects various individuals in different ways, some are noisy and some go very quiet, and can become aggressive and violent or passive. I can assure you that some can control their movements and sound and I have seen them inflict horrendous injuries.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

No Sign

Stewart,
      ...Legs apart may be a sign of intercourse but in this case there was no sign of intercourse,it is also a way of humiliating the woman by displaying her sexual parts...Miss Marple
      There need be no sign of intercourse, in fact the very act of refusing him his way, or stealing from his pockets as he laid on top of her could have triggered a drink-fuelled rage. For your part you are saying that leaving the body in the 'display' position is, if I understand you correctly, a 'signature' and that such a 'signature' was a hallmark of the Ripper.
      SPE

Comment

I have always wondered about Pearly Poll. I never believed her story. But when the reward was posted, that would seem an extremely strong inducement to come forward with any information that she had. Of course, numerous reasons could have stayed her hand such as fear of retribution.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          I have always wondered about Pearly Poll. I never believed her story. But when the reward was posted, that would seem an extremely strong inducement to come forward with any information that she had. Of course, numerous reasons could have stayed her hand such as fear of retribution.

c.d.
          Retribution from the soldier??
          In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Yes, or his friends. On the other hand, maybe she didn't want to be seen as being rotten to the Corps.

c.d.

Comment

She strikes me a typical addict, wanting attention and pitty.

Comment

Gee Kat, I hope you didn't miss my extremely clever and witty pun.

c.d.

Comment

Ha, sorry yes I did. Just went back and saw it! Bravo my friend.

Comment

PC Barrett

Tabrum went off with a soldier at 11 45 according to PP, she is estimated to have been killed at 2.30 am. Plenty of time to have dispensed with the soldier and met the ripper.
                    The bayonet is speculation not fact.
                    ...Miss Marple
                    But PC Barrett's evidence places a soldier within a few yards of the entrance to George Yard Buildings at 2.00 a.m. The estimated time of Tabram's death was 2.30 a.m.

According to Inspector Reid PC Barrett stated that about 2.00 a.m. he spoke to a private of the Guards in George Yard, who informed him that he was waiting for his mate who had gone away with a girl. Chief Inspector Swanson reported, '2am 7th.Augt. Police Constable 226H Barrett saw a soldier - a grenadier age 22 to 26. height 5 ft 9 or 10. compl. fair, hair dark small dark brown moustache turned up at ends. with one good conduct badge. no medals. in Wentworth Street; and in reply to the PC he stated he was waiting for a chum, who had gone with a girl.'

In my humble opinion the weight of evidence here tilts the argument in the direction of the murder having been committed by a soldier. As we know Gunthorpe Street (George Yard) forms a junction with Wentworth Street adjacent to the site of George Yard Buildings which were (and I saw the building in 1967) at the north west end of George Yard. We also have the stated claim that Tabram took soldiers as clients.

Yes, I agree that the use of a bayonet is speculation, but, according to Dr. Killeen, one of the wounds was inflicted with a 'dagger-like' weapon.
                    SPE

Comment

Sam Flynn made me do it, I swear.

Speaking of Sam, I had hoped his reappearance was permanent.

c.d.

Comment

Hi Stewart,

I would be much obliged if you could answer this question...with all the blood, couldn't the police have picked out footprints from the type of boot that a soldier at that time would have worn?

c.d.

Comment

'Profiling'

Jack's signature was displaying the victims and focusing the wounds on the female parts. I keep on saying this. The modus of killing can change, serial killers often change that, signature dos'not...
                          Miss Marple
                          The retired chief of the FBI child abduction and serial murder unit at Quantico is a very dear friend of mine. I discussed offender 'profiling' and related matters with him at some length when he spent a weekend here with us. So I am well aware of the aspects of 'profiling, 'signature' and attendant 'psycho-babble'. I have no time for such things, and most police officers of my acquaintance agree.
                          SPE

Comment

One thing that is interesting is that when we look at the information regarding murders in Whitechapel we are often being shown that murder in the area was not as common as some would believe. So why were there so many apparently unrelated killings in 1888?

Comment

Bad Year

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                              One thing that is interesting is that when we look at the information regarding murders in Whitechapel we are often being shown that murder in the area was not as common as some would believe. So why were there so many apparently unrelated killings in 1888?
                              It was a bad year.
                              SPE

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                                It was a bad year.
                                But WHY??

Is there a socio-economic reason?? Its not an accident that in times of financial difficulties people go over to more right wing politics so is there something like which can affect murder rates??

Comment

Working...
                                X