Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arbour Square & Shadwell Police Stations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbour Square & Shadwell Police Stations.

Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone tell me whether Arbour Square & Shadwell police stations, were residential stations in 1901 or would the officers have lived in the nearby sections houses/own homes? If they were residential stations, has anyone got the 1901 census or a list of names, so I can confirm which officers were living there then? Where was Shadwell Station in 1901? Am I right in thinking that they were both in fact in Stepney, although they came under Whitechapel (H) Division?

Both were K, until the 1880s.

Arbour Square and Shadwell (King David Lane) should be in the 1901 census. Those, along with Commercial St, Leman St and section houses at Denmark Street (todays Crowder st) and Mile End Road.

Another section house existed in Commercial St, not far from The Princess Alice, however that belonged to G Division for some reason.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Many thanks Monty. (going off topic for a moment if I may, how many section houses did G Division have, other than the one on H's patch?).

Comment

In Neil Bell's excellent book Capturing Jack the Ripper (if you haven't read it I highly recommend it). He states that the Met owned houses within each division where the married men were quatered.This being so that the constables lived close together and increased camaraderie. To that end I wonder whether Bewley St Model Dwellings was one such location? It's just round the corner from Shadwell Police Station and I know of at least one bobby PC250H William WHIFFIN, who resided there with his wife and child. It would be interesting to see if any other bobbies lived there and whether their names can be connected to any particular station?

Comment

Working...
        X