Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    There's no 'if' about it Tom; in footnote 40 you've referred to my Casebook thread of 8 January 2015 ('The Curious Case of Mrs Colville') but attributed it to David Gates.

Discussion of the numerous "witnesses" who gave their testimony either to the press or the police during the murder spree.

It was in the OP of this thread that I suggested that Honey's Mews might be a corruption of Handley's Mews, not David Gates as suggested in footnote 34.

However, you can rest assured that I'm not the slightest bit bothered about the misidentification and, like I said, it was decent of you to make the attempt.
    David, Thanks for that. The good news is that I can correct the Kindle edition rather quickly and that tends to account for 75% of my sales.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Jolly good. If you are going to make the change you might want to spell my surname correctly too! (It's not correct in the acknowledgments - for which thanks for the inclusion - but don't worry because hardly anyone ever gets it right!)

Comment

Jolly good. If you are going to make the change you might want to spell my surname correctly too! (It's not correct in the acknowledgments - for which thanks for the inclusion - but don't worry because hardly anyone ever gets it right!)
        How is that possible? You must have really screwed me over in a previous life and I'm subconsciously doing this, because I just don't make these kinds of mistakes. PM with all the correct info and I will get it fixed this week. And again, my apologies.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

No problem Tom. You'll find a big clue as to the correct spelling of my surname on the front cover of my book, The Camden Town Murder Mystery, which, as you may recall, I shipped to you at your request in December 2014 because you told me you would review it for Ripperologist (and the same for my other book, The Islington Murder Mystery, which I sent you in Jan 2015).

Comment

No problem Tom. You'll find a big clue as to the correct spelling of my surname on the front cover of my book, The Camden Town Murder Mystery, which, as you may recall, I shipped to you at your request in December 2014 because you told me you would review it for Ripperologist (and the same for my other book, The Islington Murder Mystery, which I sent you in Jan 2015).
            David, I know how to spell your name. I just meant if there are any other instances of misattribution that you haven't already mentioned, please PM them.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Through a form of mental illness deceptively and simplistically christened depression I've been away from "Ripper world" for quite a while...but having maintained some links, I became, (very belatedly), aware of Tom's book and of course had to buy it..It's now halfway through Easter and I'm halfway through the book...Mid-Stride so to speak...it really is a cracker of a book...

I'm taking it slower than I take most books, but that's genuinely a tribute to it's quality..not it's writing...

It's a great read, and if you're holding back from buying it, DON'T...I've always been captivated by the Stride murder and questions raised by it...and so far this guy's doing it for me...

All the best

Dave
              Last edited by Cogidubnus; 04-16-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                Through a form of mental illness deceptively and simplistically christened depression I've been away from "Ripper world" for quite a while...but having maintained some links, I became, (very belatedly), aware of Tom's book and of course had to buy it..It's now halfway through Easter and I'm halfway through the book...Mid-Stride so to speak...it really is a cracker of a book...

I'm taking it slower than I take most books, but that's genuinely a tribute to it's quality..not it's writing...

It's a great read, and if you're holding back from buying it, DON'T...I've always been captivated by the Stride murder and questions raised by it...and so far this guy's doing it for me...

All the best

Dave
                Sorry to hear about the "Black Dog" Dave.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

All the best

Dave
                  Best thing I could have read today. And LOL to your 'mid-Stride' comment. I wouldn't say you found it belatedly as I'm not even sure it's been out a month yet. I'm delighted others are as interested in the Stride murder as I am. It's so full of open-ended questions.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Sorry to hear about the "Black Dog" Dave.
                    Hi mate...yes but I'm emerging from it...more ups than downs, (though plenty of both!), and a really good read helps, especially in the wee small hours...

Dave

Comment

Hi mate...yes but I'm emerging from it...more ups than downs, (though plenty of both!), and a really good read helps, especially in the wee small hours...

Dave
                      Just take care mate and yell if you need to chat.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear that, Dave. A terrible thing.

Comment

All the best

Dave

My most heartfelt sympathy. A really terrible thing, all the best

Steve

Comment

Am currently reading.....

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott

I must say I'm finding it enthralling and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. It gives a total fresh perspective on the case.

One thing I would like to try and clarify if I may (this is directed mainly to Tom, but anyone who can answer it......)

On page 50, whilst discussing the Tabram case..........

What does Reid mean by this, during an interview given to the Northeastern Daily Gazette upon his retirement in april 1896, he states...

"We never in one single instance found a person who had seen a man with any of the murdered women on the evenings they were murdered, so we never had a description of him."

This does not appear to be correct as I'm sure that several of the victims were seen with various men prior to their deaths?

Am I correct in thinking that your (Tom), are trying to emphasize the fact that no one saw Tabram & Connelly in the company of the soldiers like Connelly is well documented as claiming?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                              Am currently reading.....

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott

I must say I'm finding it enthralling and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. It gives a total fresh perspective on the case.

One thing I would like to try and clarify if I may (this is directed mainly to Tom, but anyone who can answer it......)

On page 50, whilst discussing the Tabram case..........

What does Reid mean by this, during an interview given to the Northeastern Daily Gazette upon his retirement in april 1896, he states...

"We never in one single instance found a person who had seen a man with any of the murdered women on the evenings they were murdered, so we never had a description of him."

This does not appear to be correct as I'm sure that several of the victims were seen with various men prior to their deaths?

Am I correct in thinking that your (Tom), are trying to emphasize the fact that no one saw Tabram & Connelly in the company of the soldiers like Connelly is well documented as claiming?
                              Hi Station Cat, a curious thing about Reid is that he seemed to be completely unaware of almost anything that occurred during the Ripper murders in which he himself had not personally investigated. For instance, he was not aware that the Ripper absconded with portions of his victims's anatomy. However, in cases where he was personally involved, his word carries much weight. Comments such as the one you highlight give us an insight into how much weight he put on certain witnesses, namely Pearly Poll, whom he was very invested in as you know. And this comment was made only 8 years after the murders and just upon his retirement, so he was not a muddled old man.

Thank you for reading the book and for the nice things you said.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suspected that might have been the case!!!

I really can't put your book down (well only the write this thread anyway...). Have also bought part 2 can't wait to read that one next!!!!
                                Last edited by The Station Cat; 04-17-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X