Trevor Marriot - "The Real Truth"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevor Marriot - "The Real Truth"

I see Trevor has a new publication on Kindle.

Steve

Incorporating material from two previous books on the subject.
    Last edited by John G; 04-23-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks to Amazon's Look Inside preview, I note that the book includes a handy "pneumonic" in the section about Liz Stride. I'm not entirely sure, but I presume that a "pneumonic" is some sort of device to help people who have forgotten how to breathe.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Marriott suggests in the book that it is the second volume of his researches and that it draws upon a significant amount of information published in The Secret Police Files. In fact the book is Jack the Ripper: The Secret Police Files with a few pages added of no consequence. If you have read The Secret Police Files then there's no nead to read this one.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
          Marriott suggests in the book that it is the second volume of his researches and that it draws upon a significant amount of information published in The Secret Police Files. In fact the book is Jack the Ripper: The Secret Police Files with a few pages added of no consequence. If you have read The Secret Police Files then there's no nead to read this one.
          Thanks Paul. I will take your advice.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Pity I didn't see your post earlier. But it's less than a fiver so not too bad; and at some stage it will be used here I am sure to support something or the other, so best to read it at that price.
            Btw as a small offering entitled "squareing the circle will the real jack the ripper please stand up" by a Alan Razen crossed your path at all?
            Small book , very cheap offering Harris and Levy as a team.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve
              Yes, Razen's book will be reviewed in the forthcoming Ripperolgist. Like so many before him, Razen believes that he's cracked the case and identified the murderer(s), and he's very pleased with himself. But he takes a long time getting to the point, and when he does - well, the theory is superficially not bad, but doesn't really stand up to close examination. He thinks the murers were committed by Levy and Harris.

Trevor also adds a book list of publications, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Real Truth, being ublished this year. I sincerely hope that it's better than his laughably bad Myths and Mysteries: The Real Truth, which promised the results of his investigations. In fact it showed no signs of original research, frequently indicated that he had no understanding of his subject, and had mostly been lifted from internet sites, in some cases no attempt even being made to rewrite it. No lessons were apparently learned from his exposure as having plagiarised his serial killers book. I hope he's actually done some original research for Pirates .

Paul

Comment

Hi Steve
                Yes, Razen's book will be reviewed in the forthcoming Ripperolgist. Like so many before him, Razen believes that he's cracked the case and identified the murderer(s), and he's very pleased with himself. But he takes a long time getting to the point, and when he does - well, the theory is superficially not bad, but doesn't really stand up to close examination. He thinks the murers were committed by Levy and Harris.

Trevor also adds a book list of publications, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Real Truth, being ublished this year. I sincerely hope that it's better than his laughably bad Myths and Mysteries: The Real Truth, which promised the results of his investigations. In fact it showed no signs of original research, frequently indicated that he had no understanding of his subject, and had mostly been lifted from internet sites, in some cases no attempt even being made to rewrite it. No lessons were apparently learned from his exposure as having plagiarised his serial killers book. I hope he's actually done some original research for Pirates .

Paul

Hi Paul

I had some email communication with Mr Razen. He seems a very reasonable guy, however as you say he takes along time to reach his point, and he is 100% convinced he is correct. Apparently his research costs were less than £50 and the whole idea came together in a few days.

Steve

Comment

I am no longer partaking in these boards but having read your posts, which I could not let go unanswered, leading me to suggest you need taking down a begg or two !

Firstly, I see that you are still well enough to wield the poison pen in your own inimitable fashion ! You just cant help yourself can you? I am sure most people can see through you, and your sniping posts towards me both present and past.

I guess any trick, or stab in the back will do in times of trouble, to maintain the old status quo, and you and others have tried unsuccessfully for a long time but it isnt working the public are wising up now, so you might be best suited to taking a step back, zip it, and re visit your old publications as they are really outdated now and full of facts that have been dispelled since you published them.

The new pages in my book are more than a few, and contrary to what you say are of real significant consequence, and collectively along with the previously gathered material now in my opinion shatter the myth that has been JTR for 129 years and tell the real truth as the title suggests.

And thank you for plugging my forthcoming book any publicity is better than none and I am sure the public will make their own minds up as to whether or not to purchase any of my books and therfore choose to ignore your biased ramblings.

Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 04-24-2017, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                    I am no longer partaking in these boards but having read your posts, which I could not let go unanswered, leading me to suggest you need taking down a begg or two !

Firstly, I see that you are still well enough to wield the poison pen in your own inimitable fashion ! You just cant help yourself can you? I am sure most people can see through you, and your sniping posts towards me both present and past.

I guess any trick, or stab in the back will do in times of trouble, to maintain the old status quo, and you and others have tried unsuccessfully for a long time but it isnt working the public are wising up now, so you might be best suited to taking a step back, zip it, and re visit your old publications as they are really outdated now and full of facts that have been dispelled since you published them.

The new pages in my book are more than a few, and contrary to what you say are of real significant consequence, and collectively along with the previously gathered material now in my opinion shatter the myth that has been JTR for 129 years and tell the real truth as the title suggests.

And thank you for plugging my forthcoming book any publicity is better than none and I am sure the public will make their own minds up as to whether or not to purchase any of my books and therfore choose to ignore your biased ramblings.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    Trevor

Of course by your very presence on the boards you are partaking. I assume you mean you are no longer posting or prepared to defend the claims you make with those who have the knowledge to question those claims.
                    The fact that you inform us that you have decided not to partake in peer discussion says more about the research and the fear of holding it up to debate than anyone else could possibly say or write.
                    The public of course can only decide if a product is worth purchasing if an honest apprasail is given.

Steve
                    Last edited by Elamarna; 04-24-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment

The points to applaud

Having just finished my first read of this publication I would say that once again the outstanding points are the medical opinions of the professionals consulted, which were discussed at great length only a few months ago.
                      I find these most enlightening when taken without the intepretation of the author.
                      The comments by Dr Biggs on bleeding should really be studied by those wishing to use bleed times to point to time of death and potential suspects.
                      These are not contrary views to those expressed by another expert Mr Payne-James, rather they give a fuller picture and should be read and used together.

The other area of real interest and a very deep shame is Trevors again repeated account of his attempt to open Police Files, it seems he was really on a hiding to nothing on this case and should be applauded for his efforts; such a shame that the police were allowed to seemingly distroy these invaluable records.

However the above was for the most part covered in the previous book and an updated edition would have been a better option than a whole new book, given this is kindle such updates can be automatically added to those who already have the book.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                        Trevor,
                        Unfortunately you don't answer or even attempt to answer my statement about your book. The best you can do, without any evidence to support what you say, is to assert that 'The new pages in my book are more than a few, and contrary to what you say are of real significant consequence…”' You don’t actually specify how many pages are new, or state what proportion of your book is new, or how the new pages are significant, or what anything you say in those pages has consequences. You simply say I’m wrong and that you’re right.

The new pages consist of a few paragraphs here and there and some cosmetic changes. The biggest additions concern whether or not Mary Kelly’s heart was missing and a section looking at some of the 100 suspects (you said there were 200 in the previous edition of the book). The former has been discussed on these vary boards and been hotly disputed and the latter is old hat. Neither of these additions is significant.

On the ‘About the Author’ page you wrote: ‘The content of this book covers the second and final part of my long and protracted investigation into the Whitechapel murders. For continuity purposes and in order to highlight the results of significant new lines of enquiry it has been necessary to use a significant amount of original material from my previous book “Jack the Ripper: The Secret Police Files” first published in 2013’

You indicate that the book is the second part of your investigation. You acknowledge that you have used a significant amount of material from The Secret Police Files, but say that this is for continuity and to highlight significant new lines of inquiry. In fact the book does not contain a significant amount of material from The Secret Police Files, it contains ALL the material in The Secret Police Files. The inclusion of this material has no bearing whatsoever on continuity or highlighting new material. I may also add that your list of previous publications does not include Jack the Ripper: A 21st Century Investigation.

What you have done is give The Secret Police Files a new title and a new jacket, and on the 'About the Author' page you imply that it is a new book containing material from The Secret Police Files for continuity and highlighting purposes. This isn't true. What you imply isn't true. The intent appears to be to mislead punters into buying the same book twice.

Regarding your forthcoming pirates book, I mean it when I say that I hope it is better than your Myths and Mysteries: The Real Truth. The cover of that book claims that ‘Following long and lengthy investigations Trevor Marriott reveals the real truth behind some of the myths and mysteries that have continued to intrigue and fascinate people for decades.’ In the forward you make a claim about myths and mysteries that you acknowledge being very similar to that which you make about Jack the Ripper, namely ‘that yet again the public has been misled…’

So, let me make this clear: you state that the public has been misled and that you have undertaken ‘long and lengthy investigations’ and will reveal the truth. In fact, there is no evidence in the book that you undertook ‘long and lengthy investigations’ or any investigations beyond Googling some relevant sites from which you lifted your information. Sometimes you altered the wording, sometimes you didn’t. For example, you wrote‘After the major tsunami in 2004, pictures of the Fiji mermaid resurfaced and were used to spread the hoax even further as people claimed it was something that was found washed up on the shores after the tsunami left." On the web you will find, "After the major tsunami in 2004, the pictures of the Fiji mermaid resurfaced and were used to spread the hoax even further as people claimed it was something that washed up on the shores after the tsunami left." (http://weird.answers.com/animals/tru...maid-sightings) In your chapter on UFOs you listed a number of Nazis brought into the United States as part of Operation Paperclip. From "Arthur Rudolph" to "as its first priority" is a verbatim lift from the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4443934.stm) In other chapters you display a remarkable ignorance of your subject. For example, you write that ‘no satisfactory explanation of Spontaeous Human Combustion has ever been given or proven. It is still an unsolved mystery.’ But satisfactory explanations have been given, see Joe Nickell (http://www.csicop.org/si/show/not-so...n_combustion/). I do not claim that Nickell is correct, but his explanations and those of other rational investigators at least deserved discussion and refutation. There are lots and lots of examples.

Now, you claim to have undertaken ‘long and lengthy investigations’ and were therefore able to present the true facts, but there is no evidence of any protracted research or any in-depth reading and definitely no evidence of original research. You simply went to and pinched your material from various websites, often using it verbatim.

Setting aside the moral issues resulting from claiming that a book is based on ‘long and lengthy investigations’ when you have done nothing more than trawl the web, the foregoing perhaps provides an insight into you working practices. Your first book has been shown to be plagiarized, your third book makes claims that appear to be untrue and once again has lifted its information from other sources without acknowledgement. There are precious few reasons why anyone who knows your work and what appear to be your working practices and your grandiose claims would think your Ripper books are more solidly researched or seriously intended than anything else you have written.

Some and sadly too few readers might check out your books for themselves and compare them against what I have written, they will then be able to judge whether my words are 'biased ramblings' or not. You, of course, can point out where I am wrong, sticking to facts – real facts – not your usual tirade of stupid abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          Having just finished my first read of this publication I would say that once again the outstanding points are the medical opinions of the professionals consulted, which were discussed at great length only a few months ago.
                          I find these most enlightening when taken without the intepretation of the author.
                          The comments by Dr Biggs on bleeding should really be studied by those wishing to use bleed times to point to time of death and potential suspects.
                          These are not contrary views to those expressed by another expert Mr Payne-James, rather they give a fuller picture and should be read and used together.

The other area of real interest and a very deep shame is Trevors again repeated account of his attempt to open Police Files, it seems he was really on a hiding to nothing on this case and should be applauded for his efforts; such a shame that the police were allowed to seemingly distroy these invaluable records.

However the above was for the most part covered in the previous book and an updated edition would have been a better option than a whole new book, given this is kindle such updates can be automatically added to those who already have the book.

Steve
                          Hi Steve,
                          I’m glad you mentioned Dr. Biggs, whose comments are one of and probably the only reason for buying the book, as I think I said in my review of The Secret Police Files when it was published. Trevor’s account of his struggles to obtain public access to the Special Branch files may prove of interest to anyone in the future who might one day want Trevor’s side of events. It should perhaps be read in conjunction with the official documents. It’s arguable that a different approach to the one Trevor took could have resulted in a different decision. I think the reports of the hearings, particularly the final appeal, are all available online. As far as I am aware, as I said, Trevor’s account in The Real Truth all appears in The Secret Police Files, nothing added,nothing taken away. I agree with your final paragraph, but Trevor’s behaviour is made worse by what appears to be his efforts to deceive his readers into giving the impression that The Real Truth is a new book.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                            Trevor

Of course by your very presence on the boards you are partaking. I assume you mean you are no longer posting or prepared to defend the claims you make with those who have the knowledge to question those claims.
                            The fact that you inform us that you have decided not to partake in peer discussion says more about the research and the fear of holding it up to debate than anyone else could possibly say or write.
                            The public of course can only decide if a product is worth purchasing if an honest apprasail is given.

Steve
                            I missed this comment, Steve. That's a very succint way of saying things. I wish I'd said it.

Comment

Trevor,
                              Unfortunately you don't answer or even attempt to answer my statement about your book. The best you can do, without any evidence to support what you say, is to assert that 'The new pages in my book are more than a few, and contrary to what you say are of real significant consequence…”' You don’t actually specify how many pages are new, or state what proportion of your book is new, or how the new pages are significant, or what anything you say in those pages has consequences. You simply say I’m wrong and that you’re right.

The new pages consist of a few paragraphs here and there and some cosmetic changes. The biggest additions concern whether or not Mary Kelly’s heart was missing and a section looking at some of the 100 suspects (you said there were 200 in the previous edition of the book). The former has been discussed on these vary boards and been hotly disputed and the latter is old hat. Neither of these additions is significant.

On the ‘About the Author’ page you wrote: ‘The content of this book covers the second and final part of my long and protracted investigation into the Whitechapel murders. For continuity purposes and in order to highlight the results of significant new lines of enquiry it has been necessary to use a significant amount of original material from my previous book “Jack the Ripper: The Secret Police Files” first published in 2013’

You indicate that the book is the second part of your investigation. You acknowledge that you have used a significant amount of material from The Secret Police Files, but say that this is for continuity and to highlight significant new lines of inquiry. In fact the book does not contain a significant amount of material from The Secret Police Files, it contains ALL the material in The Secret Police Files. The inclusion of this material has no bearing whatsoever on continuity or highlighting new material. I may also add that your list of previous publications does not include Jack the Ripper: A 21st Century Investigation.

What you have done is give The Secret Police Files a new title and a new jacket, and on the 'About the Author' page you imply that it is a new book containing material from The Secret Police Files for continuity and highlighting purposes. This isn't true. What you imply isn't true. The intent appears to be to mislead punters into buying the same book twice.

Regarding your forthcoming pirates book, I mean it when I say that I hope it is better than your Myths and Mysteries: The Real Truth. The cover of that book claims that ‘Following long and lengthy investigations Trevor Marriott reveals the real truth behind some of the myths and mysteries that have continued to intrigue and fascinate people for decades.’ In the forward you make a claim about myths and mysteries that you acknowledge being very similar to that which you make about Jack the Ripper, namely ‘that yet again the public has been misled…’

So, let me make this clear: you state that the public has been misled and that you have undertaken ‘long and lengthy investigations’ and will reveal the truth. In fact, there is no evidence in the book that you undertook ‘long and lengthy investigations’ or any investigations beyond Googling some relevant sites from which you lifted your information. Sometimes you altered the wording, sometimes you didn’t. For example, you wrote‘After the major tsunami in 2004, pictures of the Fiji mermaid resurfaced and were used to spread the hoax even further as people claimed it was something that was found washed up on the shores after the tsunami left." On the web you will find, "After the major tsunami in 2004, the pictures of the Fiji mermaid resurfaced and were used to spread the hoax even further as people claimed it was something that washed up on the shores after the tsunami left." (http://weird.answers.com/animals/tru...maid-sightings) In your chapter on UFOs you listed a number of Nazis brought into the United States as part of Operation Paperclip. From "Arthur Rudolph" to "as its first priority" is a verbatim lift from the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4443934.stm) In other chapters you display a remarkable ignorance of your subject. For example, you write that ‘no satisfactory explanation of Spontaeous Human Combustion has ever been given or proven. It is still an unsolved mystery.’ But satisfactory explanations have been given, see Joe Nickell (http://www.csicop.org/si/show/not-so...n_combustion/). I do not claim that Nickell is correct, but his explanations and those of other rational investigators at least deserved discussion and refutation. There are lots and lots of examples.

Now, you claim to have undertaken ‘long and lengthy investigations’ and were therefore able to present the true facts, but there is no evidence of any protracted research or any in-depth reading and definitely no evidence of original research. You simply went to and pinched your material from various websites, often using it verbatim.

Setting aside the moral issues resulting from claiming that a book is based on ‘long and lengthy investigations’ when you have done nothing more than trawl the web, the foregoing perhaps provides an insight into you working practices. Your first book has been shown to be plagiarized, your third book makes claims that appear to be untrue and once again has lifted its information from other sources without acknowledgement. There are precious few reasons why anyone who knows your work and what appear to be your working practices and your grandiose claims would think your Ripper books are more solidly researched or seriously intended than anything else you have written.

Some and sadly too few readers might check out your books for themselves and compare them against what I have written, they will then be able to judge whether my words are 'biased ramblings' or not. You, of course, can point out where I am wrong, sticking to facts – real facts – not your usual tirade of stupid abuse.
                              On a final note, before I take my leave. As you are doing a grand job in promoting my books I notice you have failed to mention my two Victorian crime novels, or is it the case that you cannot find anything bad to say about them ?

and I will sure to let you know when the pirate book is out for you to buy !

Comment

Working...
                              X