Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by Steadmund Brand 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (64 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (18 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Packer and the Pinchin Street torso - (5 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (4 posts)
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Without any motive, it's still two murderers, similar victimology, same town and same time eviscerating and removing the uterus.
It may have been the same town but, in Elizabeth Jackson's case at least, the body parts were scattered over a wide area. As to similar victimology, we can only be sure of that in Jackson's case, and even then we know that she was from a different, and comparatively distant, part of London than the Whitechapel victims. Besides, prostitutes were, and are, an easy target for all kinds of killers.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That's assuming that the removal of the uterus was driven by the same motive, but that's not necessarily the case. Dennis Nilsen disembowelled his victims for "practical" reasons, in order to dispose of the viscera separately from their bodies.
The uteri were all plucked out from victims who had had their abdomens ripped from ribcage to pubes. The only case where the uterus can have been taken out à la Nilsen would be the Jackson case, since that is the only case where one can speak about a disposal of the parts. And in that case, the unborn foetus was cut out from the uterus before the uterus. Does that sound like a killer going about the details as practicalities aimed for disposal? Could he not have disposed of the uterus with the foetus inside, Gareth? And why leave almost all of the abdominal viscera and pluck out the uterus only, if he wanted to dispose of the inner parts separately for some unfathomable reason?
It also applies that this very uterus was wrapped inside two large flaps of the abdominal wall, cut from the victim. Oddly enough, two of the Ripper victims ALSO had their abdominal walls removed in large flaps.
That raises two questions:

1. Any chance that the killer may have been one and the same? Or?

2. Did Jacksons killer cut away the adominal wall in flaps in order to facilitate disposal?

I really don´t understand what you are up to, Gareth. Much as we can only be 99,9 per cent sure that it was the same killer, one would at least expect you to wave farewell to the idea that it is more probable with two killers. That notion is not a sound one, given the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by Fisherman : 10-09-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 15,360
Default

Sam Flynn: It may have been the same town but, in Elizabeth Jackson's case at least, the body parts were scattered over a wide area.

And the Ripper could not have done this because...?

As to similar victimology, we can only be sure of that in Jackson's case,

Yes, we can only be sure that the victimology is the same in her case, since we don´t know about the others. But being sure that the victimology is in line where it can be checked is not half bad, is it?

and even then we know that she was from a different, and comparatively distant, part of London than the Whitechapel victims.

It can be walked in the fewest of hours, that distance. Plus we cannot tell where she was plucked up. All the Ripper victims originated from other places than where they were killed. And apparently the killer had access to transport. Like, say, a carman.

Besides, prostitutes were, and are, an easy target for all kinds of killers.

But eviscerating killers preying on them are totally rare creatures. So rare, in fact, that there seems to be no example of two such killers working the same area or town simultaneously.
I think what you can hope for at best is an acknowledgement that it MAY have been two killers - but that such a likelihood is an extremely small one, so small as to being almost impossible. The tables are finally turning, and that´s about time!

I´ll leave you to ponder this for some time, since I´m off on a number of errands.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
John G: I disagree. It was defensive dismemberment in the sense that the purpose of the mutilations were the disposal of the body parts-in the case of Jackson several body parts were found wrapped up in a parcel. However, concerning the fact that Jackson was pregnant, and the foetus was never recovered, I don't discount Debra's Gray's Anatomy theory.

I´m afraid that you cannot disagree. Eviscerations equal offensive dismemberment, and there were eviscerations, quite possibly so in many of the cases and definitely in some. That puts things beyond dispute.

In JtR' s case the main purpose of the eviscerations seems to be the targeting of body organs to be retained as trophies, especially the uterus. I would note that Jackson's uterus was disposed of by the perpetrator.

Kellys uterus was left by Jack. If he targetted the uteri for trophies, why leave it behind, John? What the Ripper did with the organs he took away we cannot know. There is nothing at all that tells us it was trophies. Instead, there is a letter with half a kidney inmplicating he ate what he took away - which equals ritual.
You seem to be missing out on a large number of essential points, John? And still you tell me that I include the earlier torsos only to implicate Lechmere. That´s not nice of you. A face cut away from the skull with even the eyelashes intact sounds a lot like ritualistic behaviour in my world.
The fact remains that JtR took two uteri from the crime scene, whereas the Torso perpetrator simply disposed of them. In Jackson's case the main focus appears to have been the foetus -something that wasn't relevant in the C5 murders. In the Whitehall case we have a victim who was stored for several weeks, suggesting a radically different personality to JtR, who had no interest in spending time with his victims' corpses.

Kelly may not have been a Ripper victim, especially considering the complete lack of skill that was apparent, coupled with the frenzied nature of the attack.

Trow included the earlier Torso, and I accept there's a possibility, however, the huge time gap is relevant, and I don't believe they were eviscerated.

Moreover, it actually weakens your argument because then we workd have two serial killers operating over a 16 year period, not two years.

Last edited by John G : 10-09-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Ask Lawson Tait, Herlock! Have a look at Jerrys post.

There are and must be - differences, since one series involes dismemberment murders. I am not going to argue that the dismemberment is a point of likeness.

I am arguing that the skilled knifework is such a thing, however. As is Lawson Tait. Furthermore, I am arguing that the retrieval of organs is a likeness. I am arguing that cutting the abdominal wall away in panes is a likeness. I am arguing that taking rings from the victims is a likeness. I am arguing that opening up the belly from ribcage to pubes is a likeness. I am arguing that removing part of the colon is a likeness.

I am saying that the likenesses are much more important than the differences, because the latter can be easily explained. The abdominal flaps, for instance, can NOT be explained as a funny coincidence, lest we have lost our wits totally. And Lawson Tait sees the exact same handling of the knife in both series, making him speculate that the killer has learnt to cut in the London meat business.

So a London surgeon, in October of 1889, says that the series MUST be grouped together, being aware of all the circumstances involved, dismemberment, street attacks and all. Even if you will not let yourself be persuaded by what I argue, you may need to listen to him. In recent years, I know that Richard Whittington-Egan argued the exact same: we are dealing with one killer only. And, as I have pointed out, I am of the meaning that this realization is by far the most important breakthrough in the Ripper research ever.

I am absolutely astounded about how this has been a forbidden thing to say in days gone by, and I am truly grateful to researchers like Debra Arif who has been able to supply so much knowledge and sense to the issue.
What do you mean by abdominal flaps?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:44 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
If those are your initial observations, John, I look forward to reading more. At a high level, you've pretty much nailed it as far as I can see.
Thanks Sam.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Hi John,

Elizabeth Jackson was identified even after being cut up in pieces. It was the lack of "extreme precautions" that led to her identification. The killer left clothing attached that aided in her identification. Clothing was also used to try to identify the Whitehall victim. Material from her clothing was traced to a manufacturer in Bradford, IIRC.
Yes, and as I've argued before, her perpetrator was extremely unlucky in this case. Unless you think it would have been prudent for him to search her underwear for signs of identification!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 AM
RockySullivan RockySullivan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Yes, and as I've argued before, her perpetrator was extremely unlucky in this case. Unless you think it would have been prudent for him to search her underwear for signs of identification!
You go through all the trouble of dismembering, spreading her parts all over and you are very focused on her private parts but you don't notice the underwear has L.E. Fisher written in it?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-09-2017, 01:27 AM
RockySullivan RockySullivan is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
The fact remains that JtR took two uteri from the crime scene, whereas the Torso perpetrator simply disposed of them.
They both removed the uteri and we know where it ended up in only one case correct? Jackson's which was removed and then disposed of. We have no idea what happen with the rest. They could have all been disposed or the rest eaten. The Ripper and the Torso Killer are the same because in my opinion they have the same signature. The motive is they like the act of cutting women's innards. Two madmen who are specifically focused on killing women and cutting their uterus out. That's one killer. Ripper might have killed them on the street, cut it out right there and brought it home to play with it, eat some of it and then disposed of it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 8,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
Two madmen who are specifically focused on killing women and cutting their uterus out.
But what happened to the torso victims before they were dismembered and dumped? They might have been repeatedly raped or otherwise abused for a considerable time before their killers' purposes were served - that's what often happens in these cases. That would be a vastly different motive to those of the Whitechapel murderers. (Notice that I'm using plurals.)
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.