Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel

I am happy to announce the appearance on Amazon of the forthcoming book 'Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel', written by Paul Begg and myself.

It is due to be published by Andre Deusch/Carlton Books in October or November this year.

Retelling the story of the Whitechapel murders from Emma Smith to Frances Coles, it focuses on the crime scenes, using over 130 archive and modern photographs (many published here for the first time), bespoke maps showing the movements of victims and where witnesses made their sightings and excitingly, over 30 specially comissioned artworks by the incomparable Jake Luukkanen showing the crime scenes and other relevant locations as they were in 1888, in full colour.

Carlton's production values are second-to-none and this will be the most lavishly illustrated Ripper book to date!

Click image for larger version

Name:	51AwEVNBQwL__SS500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	670855

Yeah, yeah ... IŽll cough up the money.

Merrily

... in spite of the top hat, even!

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

Photographs, recreations and maps sounds right up my street John.

I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Yeah, yeah ... IŽll cough up the money.

Merrily

... in spite of the top hat, even!

The best,
        Fisherman
        John has quietly suggested that the top hat is lost. Hopefully it will be.

Comment

Splendid stuff!!

Whenever I see a bleedin top hat in Ripper artwork I just calm myself down by telling myself it`s Bagster Phillips on his way to a crime scene.

Comment

Paul B:

"John has quietly suggested that the top hat is lost. Hopefully it will be."

That will be the day...!

Jon Guy:

"Whenever I see a bleedin top hat in Ripper artwork I just calm myself down by telling myself it`s Bagster Phillips on his way to a crime scene."

Brilliant, Jon! You donŽt think that Phillips ...? I mean, he seems always to have been close to the murder sites anŽall ...

No? Oh, okay.

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
              John has quietly suggested that the top hat is lost. Hopefully it will be.
              Was the title yours or John's Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by DGB View Post
                Was the title yours or John's Paul?

Hopefully Paul won't mind me dropping in here -

Neither is the answer, really. The working title, put forward by me in the absence of anything else satisfactory was "Jack the Ripper: Crime Scene Investigation". I wasn't keen on it, but our agent was happy to go along with it during the development stage.

The publishers basically gave it the title it now has.

Comment

Hi John. I personally don't mind the top hat at all, and MUCH prefer this cover to the 'Jerusalem' one that you've had on Amazon all this time! Pardon my ignorance, but what are 'bespoke maps'?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Hi John. I personally don't mind the top hat at all, and MUCH prefer this cover to the 'Jerusalem' one that you've had on Amazon all this time!
                    Hi Tom

Yes indeed, Lord knows where they got that one from!

Pardon my ignorance, but what are 'bespoke maps'?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Maps made 'fit for purpose' if you like, showing where key places were, or where the victims were said to have been or were seen.

Comment

This sounds amazing! Can't wait till it's released.

Comment

Okay, that's awesome. And I'm grateful you're not just doing the C5. I'm curious where you've put Emma Smith, as there's always been a bit of confusion as to where her attack occurred. Just very recently, here on the Casebook, it seems we figured it out as being through a covered passage next to 7 Brick Lane.

Other than the 35 illustrations, what are we to expect? Presumably there is text? Did you and Paul co-write the book?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Okay, that's awesome. And I'm grateful you're not just doing the C5. I'm curious where you've put Emma Smith, as there's always been a bit of confusion as to where her attack occurred. Just very recently, here on the Casebook, it seems we figured it out as being through a covered passage next to 7 Brick Lane.

Other than the 35 illustrations, what are we to expect? Presumably there is text? Did you and Paul co-write the book?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          The position of Emma Smith's attack is addressed.

The book has 60,000 words of text and was a collaborative effort, though Paul was the main writer (I was Igor, the deformed assistant, by comparison).

It also includes nearly 100 images fro the Evans Skinner archives and many more from private and authors' collections.

Comment

I think the Emma Smith position was just down from the covered walkway, on Brick Lane, but north of the previously believe corner of Osborn.

I really can't wait, maps and photos are my favourite (such a geek) and the computer recreations only add to it.

Still not sure on the title

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                            The position of Emma Smith's attack is addressed.

The book has 60,000 words of text and was a collaborative effort, though Paul was the main writer (I was Igor, the deformed assistant, by comparison).

It also includes nearly 100 images fro the Evans Skinner archives and many more from private and authors' collections.

Comment

Thanks, John. You and everyone involved definitely have my congratulations on this accomplishment, which I know we'll all be looking forward to.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X