Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New arrival from Sweden (Birthplace of "Long Liz")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arrival from Sweden (Birthplace of "Long Liz")

Hello! The guidelines say "If you would like to introduce yourself, do so in the Pub Talk forum", so here I am. Much thanks for the administrators for letting me in.

I'm Anton, and as my username indicates I am a Swedish archaeologist (although, ever since I specialized in historical archaeology, my employment seems to be mainly as an archival researcher...). I live in Gothenburg, but was born and raised in Uddevalla, along the western coast in the province of Bohuslän. My main area of research is the 18th century herring industry, but I've worked with everything from Neolithic villages and Finnish Viking Age feast-halls to early medieval Christian cemeteries and World War 2-era military sites.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in my subject, halfway through my Master's at the moment, which I'm pursuing alongside professional, project-based employment at various museums and commercial companies, as well as volunteering in several historical societies. My interests are, well, rather vague and generic, beyond my research - travelling, maybe (I've been to North Korea/the DPRK, in 2013, among other more odd places).

My interest in "Ripperology" is quite recent, and comes from my 18th century herring industry research. As it happens, a certain village - Stora Tumlehed - was not only the site of one of "my" late 1700s-era factories, but also the birthplace of Elizabeth Stride (née Gustafsdotter, born 1843), one of the canonical five victims of Jackie-boy. It's not far from my home, although I live on the other side of Gothenburg. Plus, we used to go there back in Archaeology 101, because literally right next to the old farmsteads there's Western and Southern Sweden's only well-preserved prehistoric rock painting, namely a scene in red ochre depicting a deer, a few fish, ships, wave-lines, and some type of magical net. Mesolithic dating for it. Plus there's a whole bunch of little croft ruins and Stone Age campsites in the vicinity. So that caught my attention, when I found out.

I've managed to locate all the relevant church records and personal details of Stride during her childhood, and her family history, etc. Some property charts that show her family's property, her father's signature, etc. I've also had a look at how the Gothenburg newspapers reported on the Ripper, and on Stride once she was identified, and located a quite in-depth story on her background, with information provided by old acquintances and such. I had in mind to publish a brief, not very academically centred article on it in the local student archaeological journal or some such, but if anyone has suggestions for a medium where I could reach an audience more actively interested in "Ripperology", let me know!

If anyone wants photos of Elizabeth Stride's birthplace, its surroundings, the church where she'd have been baptised, or other locations in Gothenburg (could possibly locate her later residences here), let me know! Would be happy to go on a photography hunt for free, and publish some photos into the public domain.

Hi Anton, and welcome to Casebook.

Any info on Stride would be very much appreciated. I don't know if you're aware of it, but Daniel Olsson published some info in Ripperologist magazine #52.

On a lighter note, you're just the man to explain the mysteries of surstromming.

Comment

Hello, welcome!

I'm new here too though I just realised I forgot to post an intro. Sweden sounds lovely, I'm hoping to go there soon since I have friends who are grad students there. Your research sounds really fascinating, best of luck with your Masters!

I'd definitely love to hear more about Liz's background and the area in which she lived. I hope someone can give you advice on where to publish your research about her, whether that's within academia or towards a more general public.

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishArchaeologist View Post
        My main area of research is the 18th century herring industry
        Jack the kipper?

Seriously, greetings! Any information you have on Liz Stride will be very welcome
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi Anton, and welcome to Casebook.

Any info on Stride would be very much appreciated. I don't know if you're aware of it, but Daniel Olsson published some info in Ripperologist magazine #52.

On a lighter note, you're just the man to explain the mysteries of surstromming.

I wasn't aware! Thank you for the tip. Forgive my newness to all this - where can I find a copy of that article?

Originally posted by Flower and Dean View Post
          Hello, welcome!

I'm new here too though I just realised I forgot to post an intro. Sweden sounds lovely, I'm hoping to go there soon since I have friends who are grad students there. Your research sounds really fascinating, best of luck with your Masters!

I'd definitely love to hear more about Liz's background and the area in which she lived. I hope someone can give you advice on where to publish your research about her, whether that's within academia or towards a more general public.
          Thank you! And Sweden is lovely, as long as you stay on the west coast, hah!

Comment

Hi Anton,

Welcome to Casebook!

I'm sure many of us would be interested in anything and everything you might have on Elizabeth Stride. You should be able to start your own thread under her section here on the message boards. So go take some photos!

As far as publishing an article, I recommend you contact Adam Wood, the Editor at Ripperologist Magazine by emailing him at adamwood@mangodesign.biz.

Also I suggest searching the existing threads about Stride to see if someone prior to yourself has located any of the same material as we do have some Swedish Ripperologists as members here. Glenn Lauritz Andersson comes quickly to mind, author of Jack Uppskäraren: Kriminalfall och legend.

All the best,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Jack the kipper?

Seriously, greetings! Any information you have on Liz Stride will be very welcome
              Funnily enough, one of my favorite sources on the herring industry - or at least the pollution it caused - are Mary Wollstonecraft's accounts of her Scandinavian travels in the mid-1790s. And many of the investors in the factories were Brits, and the produce partially ended up in British West Indies sugar plantations as cheap food for slaves. So it's not entirely detached from the British horror scene.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                Hi Anton,

Welcome to Casebook!

I'm sure many of us would be interested in anything and everything you might have on Elizabeth Stride. You should be able to start your own thread under her section here on the message boards. So go take some photos!

As far as publishing an article, I recommend you contact Adam Wood, the Editor at Ripperologist Magazine by emailing him at adamwood@mangodesign.biz.

Also I suggest searching the existing threads about Stride to see if someone prior to yourself has located any of the same material as we do have some Swedish Ripperologists as members here. Glenn Lauritz Andersson comes quickly to mind, author of Jack Uppskäraren: Kriminalfall och legend.

All the best,

JM
                Thank you very much for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishArchaeologist View Post
                  I wasn't aware! Thank you for the tip. Forgive my newness to all this - where can I find a copy of that article?
                  Welcome! Look in the message board under Periodicals > Ripperologist. It's an excellent magazine about the Ripper and the late Victorian period in general, and it's free! Just write and tell them you want to subscribe, and you'll get the new ones sent to you, and have access to the back issues and indices.

And I love herring, especially smoked or pickled!
                  - Ginger

Comment

Interesting stuff in that 1st post SA.

Welcome to casebook.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi again Anton

Adam Wood will be able to tell you if you can get hold of #52. Those were the days when the magazine was sent through the post in an envelope, as opposed to a pdf email attachment as it is now.

Comment

And, I'd not known, but you can actually search the index online now: http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...st.search.html
                        - Ginger

Comment

Velkommen fra en som bor i Sandefjord, Norge. (But Im English)

Regards

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                          Accountability? ....

Comment

Welcome Mr Archaeologist.

Gothenburg, yes I was there for a visit in the mid 70's, beautiful place, and so clean.
                            At the time I lived in England, so that was my yardstick

Glad you could join us.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Gothenburg? Give my regards to Batman
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X