Plot against the government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot against the government

Once again, your American friend is seeking information about British history and I hope someone can help. I have heard there was a plot in 1890 to destroy or otherwise disrupt the British government. I understand the conspirators were rounded up after someone published a phony newspaper ad or article saying the cabinet or other government officials would be attending a dinner. I do not believe it is the same thing as the Cato Street conspiracy of 1820. Can anyone give me the name of the conspiracy, the plotters, or anything else that will assist me in researching this interesting fact from British history? I am keen to learn how the plot was discovered. Thanks so much.

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
    Once again, your American friend is seeking information about British history and I hope someone can help. I have heard there was a plot in 1890 to destroy or otherwise disrupt the British government. I understand the conspirators were rounded up after someone published a phony newspaper ad or article saying the cabinet or other government officials would be attending a dinner. I do not believe it is the same thing as the Cato Street conspiracy of 1820. Can anyone give me the name of the conspiracy, the plotters, or anything else that will assist me in researching this interesting fact from British history? I am keen to learn how the plot was discovered. Thanks so much.
    I wonder if you're thinking of the Jubilee Plot of 1887? Supposedly, Irish Nationalists were plotting to blow up Westminster Abbey, HM the Queen, and most of her Cabinet all in one fell swoop as she celebrated her Golden Jubilee. It's fashionable these days to deride the plot as an invention of Lord Salisbury to justify a crackdown on the Fenians, but it's worth noting that two of the same were arrested in posession of considerable quantities of dynamite, and subquently convicted.
    - Ginger

Comment

Working...
    X