Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the bombing, looking at the distribution of bombs on Lechmere's map we are lucky to have the Goulston Street graffiti site.

Regards Observer

Comment

• I shall have to carry out my own version of the 'Great Escape' - in reverse, and in daylight to get a good look.

Comment

• Magic Lantern Slides- Old Pubs of London on Spitalfileds Life

There's a wonderful post today on Spitalfields Life. Thousands of old glass magic lantern slides from the London & Middlesex Archaeological Society are in the collection of the Bishopsgate Institute, and the Gentle Author offers a number of them featuring the pubs of London. I think you'll not have seen these pics before, as they are not ordinary film photos, but magic lantern glass slide slides. They date from the late 1800's to early 1900's.

'Old Pubs of London' on SpitalfieldsLife.com: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...fields+Life%29

Spitalfields Life is my favorite blog. Anyone who enjoys this 'East End Photos and Drawings' thread will love it.

And if you ever have an opportunity to see a Magic Lantern show, do it! They're not just nostalgic, they're magical.

Cheers,
        Archaic

Comment

• Thanks

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          There's a wonderful post today on Spitalfields Life. Thousands of old glass magic lantern slides from the London & Middlesex Archaeological Society are in the collection of the Bishopsgate Institute, and the Gentle Author offers a number of them featuring the pubs of London. I think you'll not have seen these pics before, as they are not ordinary film photos, but magic lantern glass slide slides. They date from the late 1800's to early 1900's.

'Old Pubs of London' on SpitalfieldsLife.com: http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/...fields+Life%29

Spitalfields Life is my favorite blog. Anyone who enjoys this 'East End Photos and Drawings' thread will love it.

And if you ever have an opportunity to see a Magic Lantern show, do it! They're not just nostalgic, they're magical.

Cheers,
          Archaic
          Archaic, thanks for that. I've just spent a pleasant few minutes browsing the images. There seem to be some 'later' images too from the 1930's 1940's judging by some of the cars. The image of the 'Old Dick Whittington' suggests that leather aprons were by no means a rarity. I also see a similarity between the 'Mitre Tavern' image & Millers Court, unless thast's just me - I haven't compared them side by side.

Regards, Bridewell.
          Last edited by Bridewell; 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Having compared the 'Mitre Tavern' image with the Millers Court photo side-by-side I now realise that the similarity was only slight - except that there is a door just this side of the passageway. Forgive my ignorance on this, but how close was the Mitre Tavern to Mitre Square (if at all)?

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• The Mitre Tavern is (I believe) still there, as Ye Olde Mitre.

Very close to my old workplace - a lovely spot - on the western edge of The City, so roughly a mile as the crow flies.

Comment

• The Mitre

Originally posted by DGB View Post
                The Mitre Tavern is (I believe) still there, as Ye Olde Mitre.

Very close to my old workplace - a lovely spot - on the western edge of The City, so roughly a mile as the crow flies.
                Thanks, DGB. Other side of the square mile then, I guess.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• Poplar is still welcoming the world even though the Olympics are a fast fading memory.
                  But does the world welcome Poplar?

The brutalist Balfron Tower, designed by Erno Goldfinger, provides the backdrop.
                  Balfron Tower is favoured by the arty-farty set but hated by locals.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• A couple of views of the redevelopment of the Holland Estate looking towards the old location of the Victoria Home.
                    The area where the Victoria Home was located seems to still be concrete hard standing that covers whatever foundations may still exist underneath.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                      Balfron Tower is favoured by the arty-farty set but hated by locals.
                      Tell you the truth I hate that modern building near Mitre Square, the new one that looks like, well like a giant bullet or something.

Not to offend anyone, for all I know everyone loves it, but if I had my way that thing would be demolished.

Comment

• Beowulf:

"I hate that modern building near Mitre Square, the new one that looks like, well like a giant bullet or something."

The Gherkin, you mean? I find it immensely helpful. I´m crap when it comes to sensing what is East, West, North and South and I often loose my way on the East End streets - but the Gherkin facilitates keeping track of where you are, I find.

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• He who dares Edward,

Besides, I'd have paid the bail money.

Nice shots, excellent maps, thank you.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Ah, if I'd known that I'd have taken my time, as it was I was expecting to hear 'hello, hello, hello' and have a bulls eye lantern shine on my boat.

Comment

• The address http://www.jesticowhiles.com/project-info-bb.php?p=2195 apparently leads to a set of drawings of what is to come on the former grounds of the Victoria home.

The best,
                              Fisherman

Comment

• There are pictures of what it is supposed to look like, stuck ip on one of the hoardings.

Comment

Working...
                                X